Gun-free zone list?

One disagreement Antipitas-
Here in Idaho, you can carry openly or CCW in all of the above except schools.

In Idaho, you can not CCW in Federal buildings, such as the post office, federal courthouses, etc. In downtown Boise, the capital building and all surrounding buildings are gun free zones.

You're right, G36. I wasn't even thinking about the Feds...

BTW, I was aware that you couldn't CC in the Capitol, but when did they prohibit open carry? Last I knew, you could still OC in the buildings.

I've never tried, so I couldn't tell ya. Could you imagine the looks on their faces, strolling into the capitol building with a pistol on your side and a smile on your face?:D I am too afraid to try that.

When did the post office become federal property?

It is not owned or operated by the feds. It is strictly protected by the feds when it comes to mail crimes. That is all.

I can go into any post office with my gun and permit at any time where I live.

Here in Idaho, they have signs that state "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED".

This was taken straight off of the US post office website-
1.4.6. Weapons and Explosives
No person while on Postal property, or while performing services under a Postal contract, shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed.

That applies to all US post office property, even where you live.

I am going to contact a local post master about that.

I believe the rules only apply to postal workers.

Besides, any knife or cane could be a deadly weapon and there is no one making us leave those in the car.

The only weapons related signs posted here are the ones saying it is a federal crime to commit a felony against an on duty postal employee.

Their rule states "any person". That includes you, me, and eveybody else.

The way you originally quoted the law IdahoG36, made it seem as if it were a USPS "rule". It is in fact protected by federal law as I'm sure every state prohibits CCW permit holders from carrying concealed in "Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law". For those that wish to read what IdahoG36 was quoting in full, with citations of the federal regulations:

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/posters/pos158/welcome.htm

The actual Federal Regulation can also be found on:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

With the subsection in question stating:

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Ditto in my state as well. No weapons in post offices. A local gun association sounds highly benificial. I wonder if there is such in my state. More searching for me......yay!? My eyes are going bad because lack of time to research. Only time I seem to have is when I should be sleeping but instead I'm reading and searching on my phone in the dark hahaha.......

When did the post office become federal property?

As a quasi-governmental agency, it gets somewhat confusing. I have no specialized knowledge of Federal Property Crimes nor Postal Regulations so I make no assurances that I am right. However, I'm not gonna carry in the post office. The following is my summary, as there are many more statutes and regulations that may be perused if you are so inclined:

18 U.S.C. 930 states that the possession of firearms, or causing a firearm to be present, in a federal facility or federal court facility will subject the individual to federal charges.

A “federal facility” is defined as, “a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.” 18 U.S.C. 930(g)(1)

For example, post offices (see also, 39 C.F.R. 232.1(l)), FBI branch offices, IRS branch offices, etc.

Back