Gun For Petite Wife

That Silver Hunter Micro Midas is a really cool gun. Something I have never seen before, thank you for posting that one up ! I might have to sell some stuff off and get my wife one of those or one of the other ones. I have found that if I get her as nice (or nicer) as the stuff I get for myself, she doesn't feel cheated.

I like the idea of a youth/women's model 20 gauge. A few months back I took part as co-instructor in a NRA Women on Target: Shotguns class. I have been around women who could handle a 12 GA. I was surprised how many couldn't in the class. I should have brought my kiddy 20 ga 870.

I have a 12 gauge 870 short barrel dedicated for HD, which wears a 28" barrel for my son shoots to shoot trap during visits home, but the 20 compact would be a good HD gun in its own right. No, Jim, I'm not stupid enough to choose a gun for my wife, but neither am I dumb enough to let some clerk in a lgs sell her anything she will buy.

I was gong to ask about rentals at Prado the other day when I got distracted with the jammed Citori discussed in another thread.

A guy I shoot with a lot got his wife a lady's Ithaca 37 in 20 and he thinks that's the berries. I shot with his wife and it kicks the snot out of her.

That Silver Hunter Micro Midas looks sweet and would be doable if I was convinced it would be used.

I agree with drcook that those prices for the 100 Lt 20 compacts are ridiculous.

She isn't getting a SuperSport because I don't have one and I don't think she can handle one even in a 2O. Still, that is for her to find out. I have a good friend with a Cordoba in 12 that would let her shoot some dowloads through it, but I am not sure if it will function well with even a one ounce load. It would be pretty nice if it could handle 7/8's.

Last edited:
I hope you know I'm just yanking your chain Dreaming...:D

For what its worth...my Super Sports ( in 12ga...it will cycle 100% even with 7/8 oz loads as long as they are at 1200 fps or faster ) - it will not 100% cycle even heavy loads ( 1 1/8 oz ) at 1150 fps.

On the 20ga Super Sport...it has no problem 100% cycling 3/4 oz 20ga loads at 1200 fps ...but it also will not cycle loads at 1150 fps reliably.

I find with the younger - or more petite - grandkids in my family .../ overall weight is the biggest factor on shotguns because of their limited upper body strength. As they get older..not necessarily bigger../ they can handle a little more weight. But its more weight ...than overall length ...that allows them to make a comfortable smooth swing with a shotgun ..and still stay forward in their stance with weight more on the balls of their feet vs back on their heels or leaning backwards at waist ...when younger or petite shooters are trying guns that are too heavy for them.

So it is a compromise.....

Despite my "Buffalo" size.../ not all the grandkids are 6'2' when they're 12 yrs old...let alone 6'5" and 290 lbs.../ although the 24 yr old grandson is 6'6" and about 240 with 3 oz of fat on him...--- and he is about to marry a very nice young lady that is 5'0" .../ so I do keep a variety of guns around for training all these kids as they go thru their growth spurts.... so they can have fun and decide if the shooting sports have any interest for them ....

"Vertically challenged". I love that, David, and will use that phrase with my wive. One of those 870 compacts would be fine, but I think she needs a gas gun to help with recoil

I know you'r pulling my "chain" :eek:, Jim. The upper body strength thing is definitely a factor for my vertically challenged boss, which is why she might need a synthetic gun weighing about a pound less than many of the nicer ones with walnut.

Another option is the Syren line from Guerini - designed from the beginning for women:

http://syrenusa.com/project-type/sporting-guns/

As a division of Caesar Guerini and Fabarm, the goal of Syren is to provide products that are exclusively designed for every female shooter. We want to finally end the need for making compromises. No more modifying existing products, no more paint to cover up an altered stock, no more youth models being pushed towards you as your only option. Our shotguns and accessories are designed just for women and led by women. Everyone involved with Syren, from our female management team to our pro-staff ladies, are committed to producing the best products possible so that there will be no more compromises when it comes to our lady shooters and their needs.

Last edited:
First of all, don't go buying a gun and taking it home and handing it to her.

Take her to some stores to handle the guns and see how they fit her.

My gal is short too. But the kicker is.. she's totally left eye dominated and left handed.
That's all good. But the benelli is about the only thing i can find that's new and lefty.

and that is why you're in trouble all the time...

You just have to know how to manage expectations, Jim. If you are always misbehaving, that is what is expected and you don't get in trouble for little things, like backing over the cat in the driveway. Now if I were to mess up and, for instance, meet her for lunch it would needlessly raise expectations and I would be in the doghouse for a little thing, like coming home slightly inebriated and falling asleep when I promised to take her out for her bday.

i picked up a rem 1100 sporting 28ga that had 2.5 " removed from the butt stock for the owners wife, after useing it for about a year she decided she wanted a 20ga and i bought it for 500.00 with three chokes and wrench in ex condition. he had a gunsmith add what looks like hard black rubber to get the lenth back to normal, i am always on the look out for a butt stock. and as i have a rem 870 wingmaster in 28ga i went ahead and bought a mec 9000g in 28ga. the factory win hi-base 1oz # 6,s are good killers on small game. eastbank.

Back