gun control in Japan

What should be more popular there that surprises me isn't is hunting, especially considering how since the end of WW2 people have been moving into cities and the rural areas have become more rural, so there's plenty of game up in the mountains.

I'm making a big assumption here but I think it's partly because of how tightly regulated hunting is in Japan, thus costly, and how it's not a dominant part of their culture. Hunting in the US is so commonplace and rooted in our society, and it's accessible to everyone.

44AMP: Those are interesting comments on Japan and Germany. I will counter that the populace of the Confederacy experienced the same. Occupation by a conquering force, extensive combat between invading forces and civilian citizens. Yet, the South did not experience a "cultural shift", though it may be happening now.
that cultural shift you are seeing is from pacifists from the northeast and west coast moving into the south.

The Japanese are a unique Nation that cannot be compared to about anyone else. What Country can you name in history that met Admiral Perry with swords and a few muskets and in about 50 years sunk the Russian Pacific and Atlantic fleets. Then, in about another 50 years takes on the US the same way ( but lost the war ).

My wife is married to a Japanese national and their boy studies up to 10pm almost every day. The school he attends expects every student to bow to every teacher, administrator, or adult the come across in class or in the hallway or their out of the class. He gets 1 week off a year during the summer.

The South is different too. I happen to have read a letter from a Southerner during the 1840's defending slavery. The culture was totally different. Without judging them as good or bad, I see the South having undergone change from Slavery to having Slavs like in Russia. While the Tsar abolished around the 1840s ( I think ) the institution, the mentality remained. Old ideas die slow.

I'll add this, though it's off topic. The Chinese Communist mentality is different too!. I'm married to a Chinese and when I met my father-in-law, his response to guns or anything else in the Bill of Rights was, "your rights comes from the government". Remember that when the Democrats want to be elected.

Japanese Manufacturing

I make a fair portion of my living selling a made in Japan product. I am also a huge fan of made in Japan.

After WW2 we helped teach the Japanese manufacturing, specifically quality systems. Edward Deming. Japan took Deming much more "seriously" than we in the US did.
That does indeed show in the quality of their manufactured goods.

Kinda bummed, pesky Covid prevented my trip to Japan this year.

It's not surprising to see the anti gun culture in Japan. What they do have though is a plethora of knives and swords. I don't know if things have changed since I was last there in the 90s, but sharp edged weapons were fairly common and easily obtained back then. Many were part of tradition and were worn during parades and special events.

As to suicide, it's not looked at there like it is here. In our culture suicide is looked down upon and denounced. In Asian culture it's an honorable way to die in order to save face or the honor of your family.

I always found it funny that the Japanese people LOVE fast food and American fast food is rampant over there. The old guard though used to be pissed off as the hormones in the food started to make their young girls start developing early and much bigger then traditional Japanese girls. Started a whole new cycle of big breasted women, which was never the case before fast food started happening.

I suppose that's possible, but Japan's Constitution limits their Self-Defense forces as is. Not sure what 'beefing up' means in the context of China or its neighbors. Japan would still require its allies to help if the threat of war were to happen.
"Japan's Constitution"? That's a joke, right. "America's Constitution for Japan" is the correct title. Their unconditional surrender allowed US military and politicians to dictate their constitution. Why else would they be subjected into 70 years of demilitarization.

Their unconditional surrender allowed US military and politicians to dictate their constitution. Why else would they be subjected into 70 years of demilitarization.

#1, there's a point of view difference between "dictate" and "offer guidance" or example. I believe they did vote and accept their constitution, and it is not identical to the US one.

#2 "why be subjected to..." best ask the people running Japan for that period of time. After living through what their militarists brought about is it any wonder they went the opposite direction??

Gun laws in USA are passed to pacify or part of Liberal agenda to outlaw private ownership.
The laws are useless because a gun has never killed anyone. The law should only limit gun ownership on bases of the individual. That is hard to do also because anytime the govt is involved in any judgement call things get abused. If an individual is not going to shoot people with his single shot 22 he isn’t going to shoot them with an AR either.

States with automatic sentences for using gun in crime are usually open to dropping that charge in plea bargaining. Perp walks away with less sentence than gun provision would get him. Felons possession of firearms is another failure. All these issues not used are giving anti gunners more ammo.

We have the same people who want to take away our gun rights, crying about putting felons in jail. Only in America do people put up with this ignorance.

Japan has a long history of rejecting firearms. The reason they faced Perry with swords is that guns disappeared during the Sakoku period (starting 1639), in which European culture was rejected and Westerners were expelled or killed. This period was characterized by consolidation of political power, and there is no recent tradition of armed civilians.

Note, also that, as part of their general authority-accepting nature, Japanese have extreme confidence in their police. Conviction rates are roughly 99% of prosecutions.

I have read that one source of income to the yakuza mobs is renting guns to lesser criminals.

I would bet it comes with the guy holding it too. It is all about control in Japan. Nobody would lose control by renting you a gun.

yet, the South did not experience a "cultural shift", though it may be happening now.

The South underwent an enormous cultural shift over the loss of slavery. And it was still reverberating half a century later.

It's not surprising to see the anti gun culture in Japan. What they do have though is a plethora of knives and swords. I don't know if things have changed since I was last there in the 90s, but sharp edged weapons were fairly common and easily obtained back then. Many were part of tradition and were worn during parades and special events.

It has been a dream of mine to own an authentic samurai sword. I've watched several youtube documentaries on some of Japan's last remaining swordsmiths and it's very interesting. Of course, i'm not wealthy so there's no way in hell i'd be able to afford one anyway.

Japan remained in its version of a feudal society several hundred years longer than Europe did and that society placed huge value on obedience, conformity, duty and honor.

Every one and every thing belonged to someone and each had its proper place. Gun ownership and personal hunting were restricted from the general populace and that was the way things were done.

Quite the opposite of America which (to a degree) celebrates noncomformity, and individualism. Guns and hunting were necessities for the Colonists and there was a lot of room that (in their view) belonged to no one. Very different cultures from the very roots.

There is much to be admired about Japanese culture, but it is important to remember that they are not us, and we are not them, and neither of us should be forced into the other's mold.

One of my sons is a Federal Air Marshal. When he and his partners land in Japan, they turn over their arms and ammo to airport security where they are locked in security vaults. Recovery happens the next day as they board the return flight.

JERRYS:

A friend who has lived in the Memphis area grew up in Essen Germany, and keeps contact with a few people there now and then.

He described the hours of classroom theory and licensing required to own a first rifle.

>> But Ralph said Nothing about Germans needing to have connections and be wealthy to acquire a first gun license.

Bart B.: I easily identified unknown (to me) young Air Marshalls, immed. ahead of me in line, using the Atlanta employee security entrance.

You might remind your son (he might be aware) that the way they * combined with their * makes it easy to know who they are. Plenty of other Delta pilots can spot the "look" and behavior, as can passengers who have been around.

Last edited:
Bart B.: I easily identified unknown (to me) young Air Marshalls, immed. ahead of me in line, using the Atlanta employee security entrance.

You might remind your son (he might be aware) that the way they * combined with their * makes it easy to know who they are. Plenty of other Delta pilots can spot the "look" and behavior, as can passengers who have been around.
Of course, flight crew members can identify air marshals on planes and in airports. They meet them in secure areas long before boarding. There's at least 2 and one's in first class. The crew knows where each one is seated. The best way to identify air marshals in airports and on planes is the style of an article of clothing. Some flights don't have them.

Everyone in line to board that uses employee security entrances is not an air marshal. Lots of major airports have an air marshal sitting in the terminal on 8 to 10 hour shifts in case a plane needs one. Some air marshals are women.

Last edited:
I have a Japanese Arisaka and bayonet bring back from WW2. Both Toyota marked. There is a noticable difference in the quality, at least to my eyes, between the rifle (functional, but crude), and the bayonet, which appears to be of very high quality steel and razor sharp, with a metal sheath. So I would agree with the aforementioned comments pertaining to Japan being a knife culture and not guns. Far more effort and possibly pride, was made creating the blade than the rifle.

Back