Gun-carrying survey

Jeff Thomas and other had a good basic approach - protect yourself as best you can within the limits of school policy, definitely put the admin on notice of their responsibility to you, but you'll have to make your own choice about carrying. If you do, it's imperative that absolutely NO ONE knows but you. If you get caught, consider a civil rights suit against them for effing with your right to life (self-defense). Stay safe, m'dear. m2

Mike I would disagree to some extent. If she does decide to carry, she should NOT put the university on notice about their policy or make any noise about the policy whatsoever----the less noise she makes about the university's policies, guns in general and CCW in particular the less chance she will ever get caught.

It could come down to being a live rule breaker or a dead follower of the rules. One thing for sure is the people who make the rules could care less that you don't have a chance to defend your self . Keep in mind no punishment for breaking the rules will last as long as death!!! With common sense and a little discretion they would have to pat you down to tell. Just be conspicuously helpless and don't expose your self to any undue risk.

RikWriter, okay you got me there. Maybe I should say that I would never publicly encourage someone to break the law. Really that is not entirely true either. I carried without a permit for over 15 years, illegally, but would not encourage anyone else to do so. There, I think I finally got it right.

Jeff, okay, I think I see where you are coming from...and I even agree to some extent. Might not be the smartest thing in the world to be publically recorded urging someone else to commit a crime.

Kids, I work on a college campus so
I am amused by some of the suggestions.

First, I'm not going to give you any specific advice - you need to make your own decisions.

But here's some information.

1. Check your local laws. In some states, it
is legal to have a gun in your car in the
parking lots even if you can't carry it.
In some cases, you need a CCW permit or
license to do this. So this will protect
you from arrest and at least you will have
protection on your drive.

2. The school is still in its rights to
expel you if somehow the gun surfaces. If
it surfaces in a selfdefense situation
you may be able to beat it. Some women
have been it that situation and eventually carry the day.

3. Many women carry OC - find a good brand.

4. More knowledgeable ones also carry an
easily accessible knife like a Delica.
Take a course on how to use.

5. Writing a letter to the school telling them
blah, blah.

I know folk who have gotten permission to
carry on campus when they have demonstrated
a specific threat to themselves. But it
was very real threats and they had CCW permits
already.

I don't think a large school will give a damn
up your letter telling them they will be liable. I know campus police chiefs and
VPs who deal with the libability issues.
They get real suits all the time for all
kinds of things. Your threat will not mean much to them. In fact, I have discussed this
with the university's lawyers. They calculate
that the cost to them caused by law suits
if they allow people to carry on campus and
that person either goes nuts with their gun
or accidentally shoots an innocent is more
than having to pay you off for an attack
that you could have prevented with your gun.

In fact, once you send your letter, you will
be officially identified to the campus cops as
a gun loonie and that is not a good thing.
A traffic infraction and you will get a search, OOPS!.

Remember this information is worth what
you paid for it.

Glenn - credentials for this opinion:
Full professor
Chair of the Faculty Senate
Past-VP of the AAUP on Campus
LFI grad
NRA instructor grad

Back