Gun Books

For anyone interested, I've found a used paperback version of the 10th edition of Small Arms of the World. The bookstore is asking $14.95 for it.

How is it possible that in 1999 the thread has gone this far and long without anyone mentioning Unintended Consequences.

John Ross's piece of historical fiction mixed with a rather dim "what if" scenario for the near future is the book for those concerned about what might happen if we don't hit the brakes on the runaway train of the federal gov't.

You can get it from Amazon.com. Rich is reading it now.

It has been criticized for its violent ending, but this is no Turner Diaries. This is a thinking mans book, not a radical hate manifesto.
Mas Ayoob has said that the first 75% of the book should be read by everyone concerned with our gun rights, but he cannot recommend a book that "advocates" the things that happen in the last 25%. Personally, I don't think that UC "advocates" anything. I suggest that everyone read it and decide for themselves.

------------------
-Essayons

I'm reading Unintended Consequences right now. Good story, but I'm still in the "leading up" bit. It really contrasts those who "feel" their way through life and those who think, either for personal freedom or personal gain. Pisses me off a bit to re-learn the laws, and reasons for them, that we currently live under.

No doubt, Unintended Consequences is an interesting study. I am aquainted with several of " characters ". Fact and fiction were intermingled with a fine hand.

I really do not think it compares with books by Burnham, Reitz, Keith, Capstick, etc. I read U. C. twice, but I often read books several times over a period of years. GLV

You've mentioned Capstick twice. Friends who have been to Africa say that he is full of more crap than an American Standard in a Mexican restaurant with no running water.

Are you suggesting him for fiction or non-fiction purposes ?

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 02-12-99).]

Jef,

Check your email. You can cut me out as the middleman and order direct. I've sent you the name, address & phone # of the bookstore along with a description of where to find it on the shelf. They will accept mail order. Good luck and good reading.

Gary

Rob, you are way up on me. My total time in Africa is about 1 to 1 1/2 hour on the ground. Long enough to up load fuel and whatever else we picked up.

I did not know Capstick, nor do I know anyone that did. I do not know your friends. Did your friends know Capstick?

I enjoy his writings, however I have no way of knowing if he wrote fact or fiction, any more than I know if your friends have an agenda.

I always suspect single source information, and I have never heard anyone else badmouth Capstick. I shall continue to read and enjoy Capstick. GLV

On Capstick:

On rec.hunting, there have been a few posts that say he's full of it and at least one post from a fellow whose dad had used him as a professional hunter and liked him. I've read most of his stuff, and I like it. Entertaining.

Cooper:

Art of the Rifle, Fireworks, Principles of Self Defence, and To Ride, Shoot Straight, & Speak the Truth. Great reading that doesn't take forever. Learned some stuff. Caused me to look into some more stuff.

Jordan: No Second Place Winner. Ok. Have a gun. Shoot first and hit. Looks like he has his light, lower calibre air weights now even though it's posthumously.

Unintended Consequences: Is there a book on tape? I started but rapidly put it down. Didn't like the style. Maybe I ought to pick it up again. I am quite a radical anyway.

I've read about Africa. Congo, Biafra, Rhodesia, Comorros, Seychelles, South Africa, etc. Have enjoyed those books a lot. But not specifically about shooting. Try http://ds.dial.pipex.com/hemans/book/index.htm for a mini autobiography of Trevor Hemans. This is sort of an actual online book.

I honestly haven't read Capstick, but when I asked a group of people at the SCI convention last month which books to read before I go this summer, they warned against Capstick.
Intrigued, I asked some friends of mine at the DSC convention a week later and two fo three said it was great for entertainment, but not good for a primer before a safari.

the author does not want to do an abridged Book on Tape. An unabridged version would take up about 17,405 cassette tapes, so it has not been made yet... Seriously, none of the companies that actaully produce unabridged versions have ben interested. Furthermore, RFTB (reading for the blind) Shied (sp?) away from the project, given that not very many blind people are gun rights activists... or something like that.

I really like Bill Jordan's attitude, though his shooting style leaves something to be desired, IMHO.. it obvisouly worked for him though!

------------------
-Essayons

Ammunition Making by George Frost. Thoroughly fascinating book on all phases of ammunition manufacturing. Recommended reading for anyone interested in handloading/shooting. Great perspective.

Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J. Donnelly. Excellent reference for ideas on that Wildcat you have been thinking of.

Pet Loads by Ken Waters. Excellent work on various cartridges a bit dated in areas but, a good read.

Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders by P.O. Ackley. Excellent work on the shooting and reloading subject. Articles on Headspace,Action strength,Bullet Wound Tests, and much more. Load Data is dated but, can get you started for an obsolete wildcat or factory cartridge. Out of Print but, available used. Two Volumes.

Back