Grouse Anyone?

What kind of gun are you shooting? hmmm. I wouldn't pay the $36. fee for shooting those pheasents. If you're hardcore into pheasants you may want to, but it wouldn't be worth it too me. I'd wait a few years until they get a good population established, and you can shoot some wild ones. If you go out this year, you'll be competing with 10,000 yuppies who want to do the "outdoorsy" thing this weekend. My brother on the other hand, probably would pay it. He's hardcore into birds. I just like being outside. Shooting something is a bonus.
"what do you folks think about getting a deer tag?" This is a funny question. What does it matter what we think? do you want to go deer hunting or not? If so, don't worry about what we think (but you definately SHOULD get a tag in this case :)) I do know that 3 years ago the tags were $18. so if you buy one, you should do enough hunting to make it worth it. I don't know any northern areas for deer. We lived around Tacoma, and ussually drove south from there to hunt about an hour and a half. Do you know where spannaway is? well we'd take the main road through spannaway (something hwy) and just keep driving toward Mt. Rainier. Lots and Lots of weyerhauser roads up that way, that's were we did alot of our deer hunting. I think iron sights will generally be fine in western washington. it's so shrubby and undergrown that shots are usually close. We would start walking up one of those logging road 30-45min before light, not hunting, but walking fairly fast. Usually before light you've came to a clear cut, where they've logged within a few years. We'd then spread out and sit there all morning. You'll usually see a few deer usually they're does :mad:. Then we'd get up and walk the trails, and roads till about 5 oclock, and then find another (or the same) clearcut to sit till dark. Good luck grouse hunting :) and hope you find a place to hunt deer (and/or pheasants :))

Just got back from moose hunting :) Saw four, one bull, but not legal size. I did however get a grouse. It flew out from under a log about 4 foot in front of my 4 wheeler, and landed about 20yds away. .22 pistol, one shot, POW :D I went up and got it, and cleaned it, put it in the cooler. When I was filleting it to cook the breast, I found a hard lump wrapped in feathers against the breast bone. I thought, "cool, my bullet didn't exit" I pulled all the feathers off of it, and it was a .22 caliber air gun pellet!! I know it wasn't my .22 bullet. I statrted thinking, what are the odds of shooting a grouse 2 miles from the road, that has already been shot. It fried up good anyhow :D

I went pheasant hunting with a 67 year old gentleman last week. Seniors are allowed to hunt early. I merely tagged along and with his huge black Lab 110 lbs and no fat work the land. beautiful. No pheasants but met a new hunting friends with some great dogs.

Didn't find any small game in south Snohomish County north of Duvall, WA. Predation.

But the elk herds are huge and in some communities around Black Diamond and Greenwater, the people are hand feeding the tamer cows and young bulls.

Thinking about getting an elk tag now.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

Well I got to get out for the first time this season last week. There were still quite a few leaves on the trees though, which made seeing them kinda hard. I think our numbers are down from last year, which makes sense since last year was the predicted peak of the 10 year cycle. Still enough to not be boring though :-)
I missed a couple of easy shots as usual, but it was my first time for the season so thats my excuse :-)

Andy

Back