Group hunts can be deadly

In a hunting party, I asked what is our plan if we see the target critter. Well, we just shoot at him. I asked a serious friend - he said that his plan was to hit the dirt. Just saying.

I had never heard of a group hunt for coyotes.
People group hunt bears every year here in PA.
Get more incidents during spring gobler. Hunters calling each other in.

I've been a Hunter Ed instructor in Iowa for over 30 years, have long believed the Iowa DNR should have done away with party hunting years ago. Seen more violations and irresponsible actions as a result of it.

Only reason the DNR continues to back it, the Farm Bureau and Insurance companies want the deer & coyote populations reduced which reduces the effect on their bottom line. DNR believes party hunting produces more game taken and makes those entities happy. If a casualty or law violations occur, that's the cost of doing business.

Group hunting encourages a competitive atmosphere within the group, a lack of safety coordination between hunters and blatant disregard for property lines. We've seen them using two way radios, cell phones, ATV's, Trucks to coordinate drives (clearly illegal) and violations in abundance. When you bend the rules and ethics for one thing, it's pretty easy to look the other way on others. Before long "herd mentality" takes over and people get hurt.

Don't look for the practice to stop, too many people in the DNR privately admit its a problem but publicly minimize or deny it.

Group/party hunting has many different connotations. In Wisconsin at one time, you had party tags for antlerless deer, but group hunting was illegal......altho large deer drives for deer was and still is....legal.

For many folks, when they hear the word "group hunt", the first thing that pops into their head is a "drive" hunt, where a group of drivers forces game to another group called standers. Here, "group hunt" means that any number of people can join together and contribute to the total legal bag limit of the group. Used to be, while a group of people could drive deer to another group of standers, only the person that had a valid tag could shoot and only the person deemed to have killed the animal could legally tag it. With the old "party tag" system, it took a group of people to apply for a single tag, and anyone in that group could shoot the animal, but only if and when the tag itself was in their possession.

Cornfused yet?:D

That said, I'm bettin' the episode in Iowa was with dogs running 'yotes. It was not a case of misidentification, but probably a shot that went beyond it's intended target, either directly or because of ricochet.

Around here houndsmen runnin' yotes have gotten a bad rap, in a case of one or two bad apples spoils the whole crate. Wisconsin Private land is basically small parcels of under 200 acres. Getting permission to hunt private land is difficult at best because of known problems with the doggers. So many times they hunt the roads, while allowing their dogs to run on property they do not have permission on. Many times those unattended dogs get into things and places they shouldn't be. Sometimes they get hung-up and the owners trespass to go get them. Sometimes it's easier to cut a fence and use a ATV then to walk in. Sometimes to avoid being seen on trail cams, trail cams are stolen or broken. It goes on and on. Sometimes regular folks driving on public roads see doggers illegally shooting from and across the roads they are waiting at, and feel they are at risk....and rightfully so. Thus a few tend to make the rest of the good, responsible law-abiding houndsmen look bad also.

Group hunting and deer drives, when done properly, have no more inherent risks that any other form of hunting. What puts folks at risk is the compresion of folks and game into a small area. Thus one needs to be even more aware of and practice the rules of gun safety even harder. Again, the use of Blaze orange has greatly reduced shooting incidents during the gun season as people are just more visible. Put folks in camo and that advantage goes away.
Banning certain types of hunting for all because a few make tragic mistakes is
not going to change the irresponsible. Like those folks around here that trespass and shoot from the roads in an attempt to get around the rules, those folks will still do stupid things like shoot at each other. IMHO, maybe a law where groups of more than three need to wear Blaze orange would work better than a complete ban. I dunno. I tend to stay away from most drives and group hunts anymore because my type of hunting demands it. To others tho, in certain scenarios, deer drives are the only feasible method to get deer to move during daylight hours. It just has to be done safely.

Find a better bet !!!

That said, I'm bettin' the episode in Iowa was with dogs running 'yotes.

Save your money as you would certainly lose that bet. Different states have different laws and definitions. Call it what you want but if you are going to participate in this type of hunting, know your laws, terms and who, what and where you are hunting. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Save your money as you would certainly lose that bet.

....I'm thinkin' not.;)

Different states have different laws and definitions. Call it what you want but if you are going to participate in this type of hunting, know your laws, terms and who, what and where you are hunting. ….. ;)

As far as I know, the use of dogs is legal in Iowa for hunting 'yotes. Even "group" hunting is legal for deer in Iowa.

As for the rules and regs, easy, just GTS.

https://www.coyotehunting101.com/coyote-hunting-in-iowa/

The linked article gives us very limited information about the hunt. My guess is probably as good as anyone eles's here as to what really happened. If you know more, please share.

Back