Grips. Which unusual materials are there, out there?

I've built some grips for my Ruger single actions over the years with wood I've bought or scrounged. Here are a cpl. The first is crab apple from a chunk of firewood in a friend's wood pile. The 2nd is a piece of poplar fencing from our upper corral...the dark streaking is spalting...bacterial action in the wood as it began to rot. That's some of the old fencing that the Vaquero is resting on. Both sets of grips are very hard and show no wear after years of carry and use. Rod

chunk of firewood in a friend's wood pile
My wife is always embarrassed whenever we are at someones house and I start eyeing their firewood. So much good wood for small projects and turning. One guy had over a cord of black walnut. After I wiped the tears away he let me pick a few prime cuts.

I have G10 grips on my two 1911's, Indian water buffalo horn grips on my Ruger Old Army, Pachmayr rubber grips on my Browning Hi-Power, Hogue rubber monogrips on my Super Redhawk and S&W M-14 snubbie.

Hogue also sells G10 grips for both revolvers and semi autos --- I'd put G10 grips at the top of the list --- save for the big boomers.

good wood for small projects and turning. One guy had over a cord of black walnut
Yep, we burn a lot of it, or did until the ash borer started killing all of our ash here on the farm. I've picked quite a few pieces out of our piles of walnut for future use...Rod

Back