Grips Don't Matter Much to Me But They Do Matter

I too find 99% of most handguns very grippable and easy to shoot. I also find most hammers easy to grip. Grip is just not an issue with me when considering most handguns.

Hands are like feet. If yours work fine with OTC products, great, if you have any kind of problems, "deviations" from the norm, custom made and fitted items provide so much comfort they are well worth it. Colt target grips fit me fine, S&Ws do not, hence my S&Ws wear either Pachmayrs or Herrett's.

In my case, grip width and texture are more about comfort and carry consideration. Since I have long fingers, it's reach that makes all the difference. Skinny grips with a double-action trigger that breaks way back can be a problem for me. Some of the "large" back straps offered on modern poly pistols crawl up under the beaver tail and that has done a world of good for me as my joints age.

Grips Don't Matter Much to Me But They Do Matter

They work well, or not so well. Sometimes you can do something about it, often not.

I'm very picky about revolver grips, where the choices are vast. There's not as much you can do for an automatic. And very little you can do for a plastic autoloader that won't kill the resale value.

To a certain extent, I agree with the OP; a person can adapt/adjust to almost any grip, as long as they are willing to put in the time.

As I have gained more experience in life, I have found that "time" is the only thing I can not get more of if I really want to .....

Grip fit and feel is subjective at best, and subject not only to the training and experience of the shooter but equally to the the size of his hands and the grip's angle, circumference, and length.

...with that in mind, I'll submit my choice for the best overall grip in the short gun shooting disciplines: the Browning Hi Power. In 50+ years of shooting, I've yet to meet a fellow shooter who didn't prefer it above all others. "Superb in the hand" doesn't begin to describe its unique feel, and its singular ability to help novice and expert alike to make those difficult shots. Try it...you'll love it...Rod The pic shows my .40 HP with a pair of Hogue grips suitable to its beauty and functionality.

Back