Gripping Technique

That is what I was taught in my concealed carry class. This guy did a better job explaining than my instructor did. It is different than what I am used to so I am working on that grip. I think it is effective.

I've been to a bunch of firearm schools and I've never been taught this technique. It looks very effective and I might use it as my primary method. I should probably take a class at the school where guy in the video teaches, I believe its somewhere in Atlanta, GA.

It's pretty much the standard method for competition shooters and has been for a couple of decades.
It would definitely be a welcome addition to anyone's repertoire of skills.

I have to say I use a thumbs forward grip with my G19 and have over 2500 rounds with it but I've never had any formal training. (I know, I know) I feel like my accuracy is "ok" but not satisfied with my speed especially in reacquiring the front site for follow ups. I've had a growing suspicion that I am getting a lot more muzzle rise than "ought to be" present for compact 9mm. This is the first explanation I've seen about the support wrist alignment. I'm gonna have to pay attention to that next time I'm out and see what happens.

A lot of folks look at pictures and videos without actually understanding the essentials of the grip.
This fellow did a real good job emphasizing the details that make it work.

It's pretty much the standard method for competition shooters and has been for a couple of decades.
Competition shooting is one thing, shooting in a tactical or self defense situation is a whole different ballgame. Not that I don't think this gripping technique wouldn't be a good way to shoot in both competition and tactical situations but just because a technique works well in competition doesn't mean it will work well in self defense. Just pointing that out.

The thumbs-forward grip has become the primary grip taught for for defensive gun use, not just for competition. It's pretty much the standard at this point; it's used by most nationally-recognized schools and instructors.

That grip technique has been around for decades. It's the standard for competition and taught by all the better gun fighting schools. D.R. Middlebrooks is the guy that trained Sgt. Daniel Horner of the AMU, 3 gun champion.

The guy in the first video suffers from "Tactical Turtle" I can tell you he does not shoot competition.

Here's USPSA Grand Master Travis Tomasie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw9oyhCpE8k

It's what I say every time, hold your gun like this.....

image37140.jpg

Stick to reality ! Try different styles ? Yes, but adopt ony ones that work for YOU ! I found [time and accuracy ] that the isosoles worked better. Then I permanently damaged my elbow .Now it's half way between weaver and isosoles.
Some guns like HK have interchangeable panels to get the best grip for you.
For multiple shots gun should not move in your hand ! If you can't hold it tight then use a lower recoiling catridge or slightly bend you elbows which will act as shock absorbers.
It has to work for YOU .

What happens when you have to shoot one handed? Take away the support hand and you have hardly any purchase on the gun. That's fine for the range or in competition but in the real world you could find yourself shooting one handed or fighting for possession of your weapon at any time. You'd better be hanging on to it when that happens. Something to consider.

WC145 said:
What happens when you have to shoot one handed? Take away the support hand and you have hardly any purchase on the gun. That's fine for the range or in competition but in the real world you could find yourself shooting one handed or fighting for possession of your weapon at any time. You'd better be hanging on to it when that happens. Something to consider.
No, it still works fine when you take away your support hand. In that case, the only thing out of place for a proper one-handed grip is your thumb; move your thumb down and you're good to go.

There really is no downside to a thumbs-forward grip if it's done properly, and there's a huge upside when it comes to recoil control.

I've tried that Todd Jarrett style a few times but I've never gotten comfortable with it. I also feel unbalanced standing more or less square to the target. Weaver is more comfortable and almost natural to me.

The thing that has helped me most is concentrating on smaller groups at longer distances.

That said, my experience is limited to static range shooting.

Back