Grip same for big revolver as big semi-auto?

44_AMP, I knew "Broomhandle" was the English nickname for it but I wasn't aware of Kuhlfuss. Thanks!

The hammer bite was even with the shoulder stock attached (this was in Germany that I was doing it).

I always try to hold the gun as high as possible on the backstrap and on revolvers, I never put a finger on the front of the triggerguard.

I always try to hold the gun as high as possible on the backstrap and on revolvers,

For many guns, that's fine. Not the way I shoot a single action revolver though it is the way I grip some other guns. IT all depends on the gun and the size and shape of the grip.

A consistent, hard grip on either handgun, auto or revolver is required for accuracy. The grip is not the same for a 1911 gun as it is for a Super Blackhawk due to the shape of the grips but you must grip both hard and the same way for each shot. Taint rocket science.

A consistent, hard grip on either handgun, auto or revolver is required for accuracy.

I disagree with the word "hard". I think "firm" is a better word, and less misleading. And, even that isn't required for accuracy. Consistency (doing it the same way each and every time) is.

And, I would point out, in this case, I'm talking about accuracy alone, not accuracy+speed, which is a different matter.

The OP isn't asking about what is the needed (or best) grip for 7 yard speed shooting. He's asking about the difference(s) in grips between "big revolvers and big semi-autos.

The firm grip needed to control recoil so as to keep the pistol as on target as possible, allowing for the fastest practical repeat shots is not the only grip that can produce accuracy.

It may be the grip you use, it may be the grip you need, it may be the grip your semi needs to reliably function, but its not the only grip that can be used to accurately shoot a handgun.

A revolver doesn't care one bit about how "hard" you grip it. And having a "death grip" on a SA revolver is actually counterproductive to using the gun the way it was designed. Now, before we get into any discussions about how "not everyone shoots a SA revolver", etc., the OP has a Super Blackhawk, so SA revolver shooting is on topic in this thread, along with discussion of grip style when shooting other designs.

People talk about putting your grip as high up on the gun as possible, and for many semis and all the DA revolvers I can think of (save one) this is generally a good idea. For SA revolvers, its the opposite of a good idea.

As mentioned it's difficult to have the same grip for revolvers as for semis. By "big revolver as big semi-auto" I assume the op is using that to just rule out subcompact guns, a J frame or Sig P238, etc. If he's not doing that than I'm not sure on where he draws the line on what's "big".

It's obvious that the grip on a single action revolver will be different than the grip on a da revolver or a pistol. The single action revolver with a plow handle grip was designed so that the gun, under recoil, rolls up in the hand to facilitate cocking. This meant smooth stocks.

Some don't like that, particularly with 44 Mag and up rounds, so they use rubber stocks on their single action guns to lesson the kick and muzzle flip, of the gun. Others who don't like it use rough stocks to prevent the rolling and limit muzzle flip. Those shooters tend to want to dominate the gun, rather than let it roll.

On da revolvers some grips, like the thumb forward, may expose the forward thumb to hot gases from the the front or rear of the cylinder. Something that is not a factor in semis but must be taken into consideration with da wheelguns.

On da revolvers the shape of the stocks greatly influence how the shooter grips the gun.

A grip that works well on a revolver in .357 may not work as well if the gun is in .454 Casull.

The size and shape of the shooters hand, as well as the size and shape of the gun, will make a difference. I take a high thumb hold on a 1911 and ride the thumb safety. That is not possible on many semis.

tipoc

The search function on this forum can turn up some useful information regarding burns from the barrel cylinder gap.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349025

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304609

About 8:20 into this vid Jerry Miculek burns his thumb while shooting 38 Spl. out of a Chiappi Rhino revolver. "If that had been a .357 Magnum it would have split my thumb open," he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDUWACwRqk

Other forums have discussed it also and a Google search will turn this up.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/cylinder-gap-gas-dangers.751958/page-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35tz76

Like I said earlier. The gun you are shooting, the stocks, and your hands can make a difference from one gun to the next in how you hold it. Some folks will use the "same" grip on a revolver as on a semi. Other's don't and maybe can't.

tipoc

44 AMP:
I don't use the same grip when shooting a Contender, either. The hand positions are my usual, but I don't try and control the recoil, (there's no point) so I'm not "gripping" the gun the same way I would for a DA revolver.

Contender - that lead to some interesting reading. What caliber barrel and ammunition do you use, if I may ask? An interesting piece!

Last edited:
Contender - that lead to some interesting reading. What caliber barrel and ammunition do you use, if I may ask? An interesting piece!

barrels. :D

6" 9mm and .357 Mag
10"
.22LR
.22 Hornet
.222 Rem
.357 Mag
.44 Mag
.45 Colt
.45 Colt/.410
14"
.30-30
.45 Win Mag
.45-70

ammo is all my handloads (except .22LR)

And, I also have an XP-100 .221 Fireball (10")

My "main frame" Contender wears Pachmayr and the backup one of the stock T/C wood grips. My XP-100 is the original Remington "Xytel" nylon stock.

These guns, being single shots, don't need a "hard" grip, just firm enough to keep the gun from wacking you in the face (.45-70) or slipping out of your hands. Quite a bit different from what you need for a recoil operated semi auto, or the grip you need to get a DA revolver back on target rapidly.

Cooper put his weak thumb over his strong thumb.
I shot that way for years, but changed to the "currently in vogue", two-thumbs-forward grip over twenty years ago. :)
I still use this grip when I shoot any revolver, crossing the thumbs just behind the hammer. I find it more comfortable, and I can more quickly cock the hammer for single action firing with my weak thumb than my strong thumb anyway.

When I started shooting semi-autos, I had to consciously think about a thumbs forward grip for a couple of months. Now, it too is second nature. I pick up a revolver, I instantly go to the thumb-over-thumb grip. Pick up a semi-auto, thumbs forward. It didn’t take long to get it ingrained in muscle memory, at least for me.

Back