Green ammo harmful to firearms

Nope. As I mentioned, if that was the case there SHOULD be evidence of it on the brass. Ever notice black smudges down one side of your brass? That is caused by gas blow-by from incomplete case obturation; IOW, the case is not sealing completely against the chamber wall.

But the erosion here (and in my pistol) is confined to the area around the striker hole (where the striker/firing pin comes out of the breech face). That would almost have to come from the primer/primer pocket. Unfortunately, I was in the shoot house and did not recover or otherwise examine the brass.

After noticing the damage, I went back and looked at some brass, of the same batch as I shot, fired out of other Glock pistols. Nothing untoward was observed. I also closely checked subsequent brass fired from my Glock, both my reloads and "normal" factory ammunition. No clues. Whatever the cause, there are no obvious indicators that I can see; other than the pitting, of course.

Its a real mystery. I've never seen anything like it, in well over 30 years of shooting/training.

I suspect the big firms already know what the cause is; they have serious R&D capabilities and are extremely sensitive to problems of this nature, especially those that could cause damage/injury.

However, like a couple of popular gun manufacturers, they aren't about to acknowledge anything (which would be admitting liability) and will quietly work to fix it.

Again, I have no proof of any of this; just some well-founded suspicions.

And a damaged pistol.

I think it would be possible to do some testing with a cut up aluminum soft drink can. Cut a shim to fit the breechface and make a hole for the firing pin. It shouldn't be thick enough to affect headspace appreciably, and after firing it with normal ammunition enough to get a feel for how it shows wear, it should be pretty easy to tell if the green ammo is causing unusual wear.

Sounds like IF there is an issue it can be alleviated by cleaning more often than normal. Maybe take some solvent to the range and clean the breech face often.

Update. Fired some today and there were little metal half moon slivers on the bench below my pistol, probably dropping out when I pulled the mag out. The half moon shape is about the same size as half the primer. I wonder if these are getting rammed against the breech face during cycle and causing the pitting that others have described. There were many of them on the bench during my 100 rds of firing.

I don't currently have any, but I I have fired many thousand of frangible rounds through one of my AR-15s without trouble. Also fired quite a bit through an M9 pistol.

I used it for shooting steel targets at close ranges, frangible was required at the group range I used to shoot with.

The ammo I was using was frangible for safety, but not specifically "green" ammo. as I recall the primer was standard. I can say that I do not believe that there has been any abnormal barrel wear from the use of this ammunition.

Back