Grandpa's Winchester Pre-64 1894 1/2Mag 30-30 with a Bull/Steer engraved stock.

Winchester certainly offered the half magazine as a custom order item.

At the time when your rifle was made, you could mix and match just about anything you wanted in a custom order gun, from barrel length to profile to stock options to sights.

But, they wouldn't have offered it as it presents on your rifle.

Had it been ordered as a half magazine from the factory, Winchester wouldn't have put the barrel on it with the mounting points for a full magazine tube, they would have used one of the half magazine barrels.

They also would have used the half magazine button cap, NOT the end cap used on full magazines.

Take a look at the overall condition of your rifle. It wasn't a wall flower. It was a hard working, hard living, hard used gun.

It looks as if it was used day in and day out for decades.

Given the condition of the rest of the gun, it's very possible that the full-length magazine tube was somehow damaged. It likely went to a local gunsmith, who did the quickest, most logical thing to do with it. He reconfigured it to look like another gun that Winchester offered, one that doubtless would have been familiar to him.

As for the steer? I also sincerely doubt that that was a Winchester factory job. It's a bit on the crude side, and all of the carved stocks that I've ever seen from Winchester (I'll admit, only a very very few) were done on select walnut blanks, pieces of wood with absolutely beautiful figure even for those times when beautifully figured walnut was pretty common.

Agree with all the above, especially the hardworking gun part. That carbine has been repaired several times over the years, including the magazine tube, the front sight, and the buttplate screw. As Mike said, the rear sight slider and the retaining screw are missing. I am sure it represents a memorable time in your family's history when people just "made do".

The Buffalo Bill Museum will supply you with a letter stating what the factory records for your rifle show (special orders, options, configuration when it left the factory, chambering, any factory repairs performed, who the rifle was shipped to, etc). I cannot currently recall the fee charged for this letter.

Last edited:
Back