Grandfather killed by cops; Y2K funds seized as Drug Money!

Bruels,
My point exactly. One of the checks and balances our forefathers built into the system is not working. When I started I was shocked as to how easy a search warrant was to obtain.

Perhaps recall of judges who routinely ignore their constituional responsibities is something else we need to look at.

I hafta say I don't believ that there actually are any "checks and balances" built into the system. The Executive, the Judiciary and the Legislative are three tenacles of the same octopus, as Heinlein put it. Remember, the Judiciary has judges appointed by the Executive and Legislative branches. Why are we surprised when it doesn't work as advertised?

There is no such thing as a contradiction. When faced with a seeming contradiction, check your premises: one of them is wrong.

------------------
"The right of self-defense is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and when the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." Henry St. George Tucker

Grayfox and Jeff White, you both hit the nail on the head:

1. The liberal forfeiture laws lead to the greediness and therefore these abuses.

2. I have to admit it's the judges fault more than the police if a judge signed the warrant. Like you said, checks and balances - the real responsibility lies with the magistrates/judges who are supposed to hold the police in check here. The officers ought to be fired and perhaps tried for crimes if the facts warrant it. The judge is the one who should be hanged. How long had it been since the druggie used that address? Was this guy some kind of immediate danger, like having just shot a cop while on the run or something? I don't think so. I'd really like to have more facts on this one, as it appears beyond outrageous as of now.

The first time a judge has a no-knock entry executed on his own dwelling, he'll start considering factors beyond expediency.

Remember the old movies, with the LEO's outside, on a bull horn, telling the BG's to come out with their hands up, yada, yada, yada? Times sure do change, eh?

So if this guy was a big time drug dealer, did they think he was going to flush a couple of tons of marijuana down the toilet?

Another success in the war on drugs.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited August 31, 1999).]

Back