Grainy photo of Possible "Coydog"

rickyrick

Honestly i don't know what it is, looks like a dog but it was on a camera that I get many coyote shots, it is a heavily traveled coyote corridor. I hear a dog conversing with coyotes on many nights very close to this location

attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0057.jpg
    PICT0057.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 715
IMO, it is not skinny enough to be a wild animal. It appears to be well fed so I suspect it is someones pet or farm dog. I also appears to have a dark colored ear. Almost looks like it could be a springer spaniel.

It appears to be well fed so I suspect it is someones pet or farm dog.

I agree, it looks too fat to be wild.

Coydogs are coyote/dog interbreeds, right?

I know a lot of people say they don't exist, and I generally don't reply to coydog posts but I have seen a coyote/dog crossbreed. I was hiking the rainbow bridge/navajo mountain trail way out on the reservation for college credit. We camped one night on the trail that was obviously a well known camping spot. It was miles out into the wilderness, but you could tell people camped there often when hiking along the trail. Anyway, just before dusk a pup wanders into camp. It was a mutt and a half, but absolutely it was part coyote. Everyone in camp could recognize it. It's snout and scowl were undeniably coyote. But also it had rez-dog attributes. It was not a full blooded coyote. Anyway it made its rounds for scraps at dinnertime, and then was gone by dark. Wish I would have gotten pictures now, I don't think I even had a camera.

I posted this light-heartedly as a result of recent coydog debates.

You can't tell from the picture but the critter is crossing a well traveled path. The last four coyotes I called in came in on this path. I placed the camera on this path to see if there were more so I could decide whether to move on to a different spot. There are at least 3 more coyotes still using the path since Sunday.

Many pigs have been shot by me on that very path but for reasons I blame on the drought, no sign of any pigs in over a month. With the exit of the pigs and thier associated piglets, I have seen a tremendous spike in coyote activity.

Feral dogs imo, are more dangerous than coyotes, and will meet a similar fate if sighted.

rickyrick said:
but for reasons I blame on the drought, no sign of any pigs in over a month.

We had the same problem on our lease this year, the drought moved the animals, especially the deer which is why we have the lease. What is normally a very productive area simply dried up, literally and figuratively. Sometimes about the middle of October, we quit getting pictures of deer on our cameras and the whole season was basically a bust.

Oh, well, that's why they call it hunting. Hope springs eternal for next year. I'm already planning food plots.

Not all of our 'yotes are skinny 'round here...

Matter of fact... I can't remember the last one I seen that wasn't pretty thick. More than I call "field trim" on a huntin' dog.

Brent

Not all of our 'yotes are skinny 'round here...

+1 from over here too. The vast majority of the coyotes I've seen here have in fact been quite plump. Don't know if they're just eating well or are simply heavily built but they tend to be shorter and fatter than those tall skinny "western yotes".

Possible coydog? The image is so poor that I could not say definitively that it is even a dog. I certainly don't see any coyote traits and I don't think that just because the camera has taken pics of coyotes in the past at this location that the doggish looking critter would be a coydog, LOL.

To fat to be wild? Not all wild critters are skinny or not skinny all the time.

Lol, its a goat-dog-ote,

Like I said I posted it as a poke at the coydog debate.....grainy indescribable photo in the style of bigfoot sightings.

Funny thing is....... the coyotes standing in the same spot are clearly undisputed coyotes.

IMO, it is not skinny enough to be a wild animal. It appears to be well fed so I suspect it is someones pet or farm dog. I also appears to have a dark colored ear. Almost looks like it could be a springer spaniel.

My thoughts exactly.

Back