"Grail" guns

It varies, but:

LAR Grizzly in 357 Magnum
Colt SAA
Several 1800s Winchester lever-actions
WWII 1911
Maybe a SS 6" Python

Edit - You know, maybe a S&W in 327 Federal Magnum. Those seem scarce as hens teeth nowadays!

Funny how you view things. I read over folks grail guns and go "got it".

Diamondback, yep, got two
Python, yep got two
Sig 210, yep got two
P7, yep got three
1918, 1911 all original, yep got one
etc.

Now my Grail are a bit different:
Another Registered Magnum
Another Pre-war 38/44 Outdoorsman Humpback Hammer
Another Pre-war 38/44 Outdoorsman Humpback (prefer 4")
Another 44 Automag so I can shoot one of them
Another Ruger 357 Redhawk so I have another spare

A colt 1908 380 sounds interesting but have not moved it to a grail gun yet. Just a thinking about it.

35 years ago my grail would have been just to have money for powder and primers. Today, we are to the stage of "another".

Wouldn't mind a Borchardt C93 and a broomhandle Mauser (Winston Churchill's Mauser, to be exact), but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess I do have my "grail" gun, although it's strictly due to price, a Nighthawk T3. Since seeing one in an ad right after Nighthawk introduced them, I've wanted one.

We'll see what happens. That's more then double of what I've ever spent on a firearm. I've got less then the cost of a T3 in both of my Pythons and Anaconda, from the prices I've seen on gunbroker. Wow, just wow.

It took me ten years to assemble the Grizzly win mag pistol and all of the conversion kits. Now that the internet is more fully populated with sites and users, it's easier to find parts and accessories. Back when I was doing it for the Grizzly, we were still on dial up and gunbroker was still young.

mk23019.jpg

mk23021.jpg

A British Sterling SMG, I rarely see them and I know it will be converted to a semi auto, but all the ones I have seen have the long barrel, I want one in the short barrel, I'm guessing its to do with laws on barrel length.

There are only two guns that I would LOVE to acquire but know realistically that I never will.

That's a factory original transferable H&K MP5SD and an H&K MP5A3.
(If I could only have one I'd probably go with the SD version)

If I had $40-50K laying around it would not be an issue. But since I don't, oh well......I can always dream.

And if anyone can get off topic its me - to bring things back on topic. For handguns I don't have a "Grail". I have been very fortunate to be at a place in my life where I either have had, or have everything I wanted in that realm.

However if there was one gun out there that was available it would have to be something owned by Teddy Roosevelt. I would not be picky about what it was, just had to be iron clad documented as having been owned and used by him. If it was a Colt 1911 pistol all the better. Alternatively to that I would want Jeff Cooper's personal 1911, the one he carried when he instructed his last class.

Rob

Last edited:
Collecting stuff is weird. You sometimes don't even know you want it until you see one. Then, the hunt is on.

I collect stuff, always have. Guns, badges and custom knives. My wife doesn't get it, she does not have the "collector" gene.

I also collect old duty holsters. I once found a perfect old basket weave Safety Speed clamshell holster for a 6 inch K frame. That was a grail holster for me. I came home and showed it to her. "Look! You push the little button and the holster pops open. Is this cool or what? Look at the great wear on it! It's in perfect shape! I've been looking for one for years! I can't believe I found one."

She looked at me with a "well, bless your heart" look and said: "That's nice....do you have a gun to fit it?"

.........well.....actually, no.

And she said...."isn't that a little weird? Even for you?

She doesn't get it. That's why I have my own toy room.

I enjoy the hunt as much or more than the actual acquisition. Of late it seems I'm always on the hunt for the next Colt pocket pistol.

221082282.jpg

I have 3 'grail' guns-

1. D&D Bren Ten in 45acp.
2. Webley WG 'Army' Birdshead -unmolested .455
3. Thompson M1 45acp smg.

1- I thought the reality of owning a Bren would be a reality -and actually a useable one- a few years back when Vltor was going to reproduce them- took our money, led us on for years....
2- Owned one with the cylinder cut to 45acp; had to sell...
3- got 40 grand I can have?

one other members grail gun- the Sig p230 in 32acp- I had one! NIB, a Phillipino Police contract overrun. Sadly, it went to pay bills in the 'great sell-off to save the house of 2011-

Well, I got a list of ones to purchase for shooting and CCW, but my 'grails' would have to be...

Walther P-38
Colt Walker
Sturmgewehr
Volcanic Lever-action pistol

For me, it is the following:

- S&W Model 27 P&R, any barrel length, preferably a 3.5 or 5".
- Belgian or FN HiPower in 9mm with a blued finish
- Collector grade P.08 (Luger) like an S/42
- Military contract M1911A1
- A colt revolver of some sort (I own over a dozen revolvers ... S&Ws, Rugers, a Taurus, Heritage and H&R ... but no Colts)

This was one of my Grail guns but I was able to seal the deal on one the end of last year. Now on to the next one. ;)

IMG_4399.jpg

Back