"Grail" guns

mrray13

Almost, if not all of us, have a "grail" gun or two on a wish list. I have a bit of a dilemma, I've acquired my grail gun, twice. I have two Pythons, a 1961 6" of which I'm the third owner and a 1974 4" that is my shooter, both Royal Blue. I also have a 1994 Illinois Ducks Unlimited (#13 of 250) 6" Anaconda .44mag. I have a 6" 17-4 and a 39-2 which would be my only S&Ws with collector interest. The nickel 8 3/8" 27-2 was a gift to my son.

So long story short, I'm in need of a grail gun, but don't know what I want it to be. Some options include.....

Diamondback in .22lr, although the .38spl isn't a no go,
HK P7 variant,
Sig P210,
Colt SAA,
29-?, would want pinned and recessed,
57 or 58, again would want pinned and recessed, prefer 4" in this and the 29.

None of those options are really hard to obtain, and none of them are really must have. The Diamondback is appealing due to my other snakes, but other then that, I'm kinda like, "eh, I have my Python." I just don't have a must have like I did when I wanted a Python, or a shooter Python. So I'm looking for suggestions, even thoughts on my options listed above. What is the grail gun you don't have yet?

I have an actual list of guns I'm hunting for deals on. Some of the more desirable guns on the list are:
Colt SAA
P08 Luger
Walther P-38
Browning High Power
USGI M1911 (any manufacturer as long as it's WWII issue)
Colt 1908 Hammerless

More common and more reasonably priced guns:
Russian TT-33
Yugo M57
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt/.45ACP

There are others of course but those are my wants. Now if only money grew on trees. You'll notice a trend in that I'm fond of older firearms with surplus guns making up the bulk of my list.

Stu

I think if somebody has to tell you what to want, then by definition it isn't really a "grail" gun of yours.

You just don't have anything that you want to that degree right now. Nothing wrong with that. Give it some time, look around. I'm sure something will strike your fancy after awhile.

A collectible M1911A1 at some future date. I just need to stumble across a nice one for a fair and reasonable price. You see too many parts guns with jacked-up prices.

Tubeshooter, that's exactly where I'm at. Nothing has that gotta have it feeling right now. I can't go looking by myself because I can't drive due to my accident, both feet are messed up. My wife works a lot, she's a cop too, and isn't has into collecting guns like I am, although she loves to shoot. So I figured I'd throw my thoughts out there, and see what others grail might be just to see if I might be missing it. If nothing else, it's decent reading to see just what others like, want, gotta have.

Smith & Wesson K-32 Target Masterpiece

Thsi is the grail gun of all guns.

Smith & Wesson K-32 Target Masterpiece. Less than 3400 manufacturered. Rarely for sale and at prices that would make a surgeon blush.

Find yourself a Colt in the same limited build, and then you might just find you own.

My personal grail gun isn't even a handgun at all.
It's a Browning M1918-A1 BAR. The original 30-06 machine gun. In time I'll own one, but I have to figure out what to sell to accomplish the purchase.

Look deep inside yourself and ask if the chances of me ever buying it are slim to non-existant, but I want it no matter what, thet'll be the one. If there isn't one that rings your bell, buy whatever you want and enjoy it until the next one crosses your path.
Grail guns are like good Karma. Fleeting, and more rewarding than you can ever imagine.

I recently acquired my "Grail" pistol.

A 1944 Remington Rand M1911A1.

2013-06-28T21-58-57.jpg

I have also recently acquired my "Grail" rifles, an M1903A3, an M1917, and I have an excellent condition 1935 S/147/G J.P. Sauer & Sohn K98k on layaway.

I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure what my next, "I have to have it" firearm is.

I am sure that at some point I will walk into a deal on something that I fancy, but right now, I am not sure what that will be.

Below is a picture of my dad taken in 1951. He's standing by the side of a rural road somewhere in Missouri. He is shooting a First Generation 7.5" Colt Single Action Army. The caliber is unknown. The serial is unknown. The current whereabouts of this gun is unknown. This is my idea of a "grail gun." Ultimately desirable but totally unobtainable. If one can actually get it, it can't be a "grail." My dad was killed in 1957 and mom sold his guns so we could eat. I would love to have even one of dad's guns, especially this Colt, but it will never happen.

standard.jpg

I'm still a fairly new gun owner, and on a limited budget, so don't really have any "grail" guns by the op definition. For me, 90% of the enjoyment I get out of owning firearms is shooting them, and 10% is in the interesting history of my older guns. I'm not to the point yet where collecting guns for the sake of collecting is even in my radar, financially other otherwise. I will say that 10% was enough to make me spend an extra few bucks getting a Tula built ex-sniper mosin over a "normal" one, just for the story, but that's as far an I've gone lol.

I do really really want an FAL, and I guess it's sort of a grail gun for me right now as I can't afford one. Also really would like an open top revolver, but I'd be happy with a modern remake and I'd want to shoot it :D

Stu925: I have a romanian tt-33, does that count?:p

The HK P7 was mine for a while, but now I have it.

Other highly desirable (and rare) guns on my Grail List are:

Walther P88
Luger P-08
HK P9S Target Sport with wood grips/barrel weight, etc.

I found mine last October. It's #34 of 531 NAA single action stainless revolvers chambered in 450 magnum express and 45 win mag. Finally got to shoot it last week. It kicks like a mule and breathes three feet of fire out of the muzzle. :D

My previous grail gun was an LAR Grizzly.

Last edited:
I finally managed to obtain my primary Grail gun a couple of years ago, a Smith & Wesson Model 25-5 in .45 Long Colt. Not the common 6.5" barrel, but the relatively uncommon 4".

I looked for that one for over a decade.

My other Grail gun would be an NIB New Model No. 3 in .44 Russian.

Luger (issued)
Any double express rifle
P210
Any Holland and Holland rifle, or scatter gun
I have bought any other handgun that I need (using term very loosely).

Back