Got to fire a German 98k Mauser last month

I've been shooting them since I was 12. I never thought they kicked that much. I've got a G 33/40 I'm working on a sporter stock for.

As a high school kid I remember a local hardware store having new cases of K98's and 303 British rifles for sale that were brand new

packed grease, for 29.95. I was working part time after school for .85 an hour and still couldn't afford one . hdbiker

As a high school kid I remember a local hardware store having new cases of K98's and 303 British rifles for sale that were brand new

packed grease, for 29.95. I was working part time after school for .85 an hour and still couldn't afford one . hdbiker
those were the days.. Long gone now

packed grease, for 29.95

While not new Gibson's dept. stores sold Mausers out of 55 gallon drums for $15.00.

Do remember that almost without exception, surplus 8mm Mauser is corrosive primed, so an extra couple steps are needed when cleaning, or it will rust.
I have a 1'x1'x6" cardboard box full (hundreds of rounds) of surplus full metal jacket 8x57 ammo. Inasmuch as I no longer have a '98 Mauser, I don't know what to do with it. At this point, I think I will take it with me to the next (end of September) falling plate shoot, and see if anyone can use it. I don't know if it is corrosive or not, but when I shot military ammo, I just cleaned the gun and did't worry about it.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think I bought all that surplus stuff in bandaleres at a gun show to get the Mauser stripper clips.

WOW!

This takes me back to the early 60's when I bought my 98k for $34.95
mail order that included 100 rounds of armor piercing 8mm ammo.

Great action to use as a project gun; I converted mine into a 300 yards tack-driving 6mm Remington.

Excellent score!

I used to buy my FMJ ammo from Western Auto and the Texas Liquor Stores for $5.95/100 all piled loose in a box. It was Greek ammo and 196 (IIRC) grain.

Those provided some good shooting. And, they were corrosive.

My first 98k was selling for $14.95 at Monkey Wards. The 03s were $24.95.

For the anniversary of D-Day this year, I went to the range with an M1 carbine, M1 Garand, No. 4 Enfield (a Savage) and a Kar 98 (also had a 38 S&W lend lease S&W British Service revolver and a Sistema 1911). I had never shot the Kar 98 before. Shooting them back to back, the Mauser had very noticeably more kick than the other two Battle Rifles. I was shooting from field positions (standing, sitting, and prone). The Garand was the softest shooting of the three (except for the carbine of course).

I was shooting 1950s era Yugoslavian 8x57 surplus on clips. :)

That was a fun day!

When I was a kid (early 60's) I used to sling my K98 across my back,,,
And pedal down to the army surplus store near me.

The grumpy old codger who ran the place,,,
Would sell us 8mm and 303 ammo for (IIRC) 5 cents a round.

I got $2.00 dollars a week so I would spend 50 cents on ammo,,,
Then peddle on out to the county dump to shoot rats.

Even with steel jacket ammo,,,
The 8mm vaporized those big old rats.

A mason jar full of water,,,
A blanket and a bag of PB&J sandwiches,,,
And all afternoon to pretend I was a WW-II sniper.

Good times,,,

Aarond

Back