Got remington 700 problems!!

Clean the snot out of it , apply a little lube including the rear surfaces of the locking lugs , then work the bolt while you're watching TV for a few nights and you'll have your silky smooth bolt !

As advised, clean and lubricate and go shoot. The issue for most shooters is: How does that thing shoot?

I agree: Lets see how she groups and worry about gritty bolt later which is all part of the off the shelf modern rifle.

it will probably smooth out over time. using my mom and dads 700s for a lot of my formative years, I have not been overly impressed with the grittiness out of the box of these newer 700s. cycling and lubing would eventually smooth out surfaces and streamline your bolt.

Remingtonfan--usual Tuneups

I was referring to the usual "tune ups" for any rifle that isn't shooting fairly good groups.
1. Check to see if the barrel is touching the forearm. If so, clean the channel out to prevent that by sanding the areas that are touching. Some say a composite stock like the one on the SPS doesn't create accuracy issues, but I don't agree. If you can't slide a dollar bill down the barrel between the barrel and the forearm, work on the channel.
2. Adjust trigger pull. My SPS did not have an adjustable trigger, and it ended up wearing a Timney trigger that works great. The factory trigger was not good--creepy and heavy pull. Be aware the if you change the trigger, and you send it to Remington for factory work, they will take the tigger you send to them off and replace it with one just like it came with and charge you for it. Thank the lawyers for that little goody.
3. Check action screws to be sure they are torqued correctly.
4. Scope mounts and rings.
5. Try various loads to see if the firearm likes something from the factory. Or if you handload (and just loads of fun and time involved) try various loads to see what shoots good.

Heck I dunno--I ain't no expert, and only get things right by trial and error, but mostly by luck. :D

I would return it for another rifle. No need to have to spend a lot of your own time and effort in what might still be a futile effort to smoothe the bolt throw. Though it may not affect the rifle's functionality, a smoothly cycling bolt is part of why you bought the rifle and something you paid for. Not saying it should necessarily be as smooth as ice over glass, but it should definitely not be rough, stiff or gritty.

Clean it and shoot it. Be sure to clean out the lug recesses well. Do not oil or apply grease to the bolt body. I use moly grease and a q-tip. Apply a light coating to the lugs and the rails the bolt rides on. I am talking light coat as in you wipe off any excess whatsoever. The bolt on my SPS is smooth as silk. Check the bolt to make sure it's straight. Be sure you clean out the receiver very well as there are often bits of metal that are not easily seen. I always take my new weapons apart and clean them, especially triggers, then lightly oil and reassemble.

Back