Got primers but . . .

Prof Young

Local range got some primers in but I paid $10 more for a brick than usual and they only let me buy one. I understand. All in all . . . that's not too bad.

Life is good.
Prof Young

A $10 premium is a pretty good deal right now. Check out Gunbroker- people are selling primers at over $100 a thousand right now.

At least for LR primers I find almost no price is to much . My thinking is I load match loads in 308 and it cost me around $.55 each or I save $.50 to $1.00 each round . That's with my $.035 each primers . So lets say the primers now cost $.08 each or $80 per brick . So now my reloads cost $.60 each , how is that now a deal breaker I'm still saving a bunch of money because I'm going to shoot so every time I fire a round I think " I just saved a dollar " If my primers cost way more then usual I never think "oh I only save $.95" . Primer cost just does not matter to me . Let me know when they cost 20+ cents per , I may have something to say about that haha .

I’m working on a project very close to a very good gun shop that I’ve been stopping into at least 3 times a week. Two weeks ago I picked up 6,000 small pistol primers that I was getting low on-Remington brand that I’ve never used & I left about that many on the shelf. Picked up 2,000 small rifle primers & powder for 223 reloads, & yesterday they had a shelf full of 50 round boxes of 9mm 124 gr Sig V-crown, 5 box limit. It was 70 cents a round but I grabbed some for the stockpile.
Seems like supplies are trickling in, just have to be at the right place at the right time.

Watch some srp listings on gunbroker for awhile. They're going as high as $165.00 per 1,000.

Interesting , I did an inventory of my primers a couple months ago . Lets just say I could make quite a bit of money at those prices lol .

Wow! $165/1000!!

I still have primers that I paid $10/1000 and most recently I paid no more than $35/1000.
Those are CCI; Federal is a bit more. A few years ago when primers were running at $25 I got soaked because I didn't know any better, for Federal 215 Match that cost $50/1000.

They can list them for $200 per thousand, but that doesn't mean anybody is buying them at that price.

Don

Wow is anybody buying at that price . I could sell many thousands and not miss them and could get that new colt or what ever gun I’ve wanted and can’t afford haha

I really don’t want to be one of those guys but damn, I really could sell some primers and not miss them . $200 a brick plus wow

One way to look at it..

We've seen some crazy prices for factory ammo (if it is even available), so even with those prices for primer, it is still cheaper to reload.

I suspect it will be some time before prices relax to normal, so we may have to adjust to this market if have to resupply our components.

I suspect it will be some time before prices relax to normal, so we may have to adjust to this market if have to resupply our components.
Not if you are stocked up .... like all should have done after the last go around .... I don't see a problem at least for a few years....

Not if you are stocked up .... like all should have done after the last go around .... I don't see a problem at least for a few years....

Spot on. An excuse can be made for newbies to reloading, but the guys who have been reloading for years should know better.

Don

Not if you are stocked up .... like all should have done after the last go around

Spot on. An excuse can be made for newbies to reloading, but the guys who have been reloading for years should know better.

'xactly. After the last "go around ('13)," I stocked up. I learned my lesson. There's no scolding here. Just some friendly free advice. After the smoke clears, stock up then ;).

I had fallen out of shooting/reloading for a few years. I didn't pay much attention to what I had.

I've got a over 1k SPP, and 2k SRP. If I run out SPP, I'll switch over to .45 because I do have quite a bit LPP. So, I'm probably good.

But yeah, The stock is going to be seriously boosted when things become 'normal' whenever that is.

I just Bought 5,000 Winchester Pistol Primers and 8lb. of Unique for 290.00 .
Did not feel to bad . Still getting Cast bullets at same price as a year ago .

Last edited:
Back