Got Mossberg 500 in 12 guage for HD. Need advice on the best mods...

ezmiraldo

Hey guys!

I've got me a 20-inch-barrel pump-action Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, and was wondering what ya'll recommend as the most useful modifications/customizations/additions to make this shotgun perform best as a home defense firearm?

This shotgun is a plain-jane bead-sight version with rail on the front of the gun, 9-cartridge-capacity, and a fixed stock.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
You will probably get better responses in the Shotgun forum...

For me, a home defense weapon means high stress situations.
I use the KISS method.
Plain and simple, not a lot of doodads, widgets, and gizmos. Just a weapon I am familiar with so I know where all of the controls are in pitch dark...

If you want to go first class, a mounted light would be possibly useful, as would a decent set of sights.
But some kind of training for using a shotgun defensively indoors would be even better.

I don't usually go fo anything "tacticool" but I did swap the standard buttstock on my 18.5" 500 Persuader with an M4-style adjustable stock with pistol grip. I prefer it because the LOP on the standard stock just felt way too long for me and I like the addition of the pistol grip. I also like that I can shorten it for easier handling around the house, if necessary. The only other thing I bolted on is a light.

Yup I'd get familiar with the weapon FIRST!!! In a high stress HD situation I perfer KISS principle. Take the $ you would spend on gadgets and buy ammo take the shotgun to the range and get familiar with the trigger,action, safety location,etc.

I will say this last year when I was involved in a home defense situation it was pitch black and I didn't have to worry about gadgets getting in the way or turning them on etc. If I did have to shoot it was as easy as point and pull(fortunately I didn't) I will say this that I do wish I had a flashlight mounted to it tho.

Side Saddle shell holder.
Speed feed stock that takes four extra shells.
Have the forcing cone reamed out. It'll reduce recoil slightly for faster follow-up shots.

An extra 28" barrel to shoot Skeet. Ammo to shoot 100 rounds of Skeet, and maybe some "5" Stand & Trap.

After shooting 3 rounds of Skeet with the 28"er pull it off and shoot a round with the short barrel.

When you can shoot in the middle 90's, the Mossberg might be ready, but not before...

Last edited:
Aside from a light and some means of holding extra shells on the gun, you might consider a shorter stock. This allows you to move more freely in a squared up position. Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock that a lot of people like. Magpul's SGA stock seems to have attracted interest as well (and spacers let you adjust the LOP to your liking).

I personally would shy away from the M4-type grip/stock on a gun with a tang safety like the Mossberg 500, just because it requires more thumb maneuvering to operate. Might not be a big deal to other people though.

Some people also like a sling in case you need use of your hands for opening doors or dialing 911 or whatever.

First and foremost, some kind of attached light. A pump gun is the HARDEST of all long guns to use with a handheld light. A light is a must have on a HD longgun, cause if you cant ID it, you shouldnt shoot at it.

You can use a handheld light with a semi, but a pump is just too difficult. So a dedicated light is first.

Second, i would consider a second source of ammo. This can be loaded with extra of what you have in the tube or another type of ammo altogether. One of the great benifits of a Shotgun is the ability to shoot a wide variety of loads out of the same gun.

For these same reasons i dont see the Shotgun as a beginners weapon. Ammo management can get confusing and working a longgun indoors with a light is a skill that needs to be learned and understood.

That leads to the Training mentioned above. GET IT!! The Defensive Shotgun is the least understood weapon out there. The myths and pure bullcrap about its capabilities are unbelievable.

You dont need to shoot skeet/trap/sporting clays, you need a GOOD defensive Shotgun course. Ive never had to shoot a flying attacker or one bouncing along the ground like a bunny. Learn how to engage man size targets at speed at appropriate distances. Those distances may surprise you. As will your ability to miss a man size target with a Shotgun.

Not sure I need training, because I heard you don't even need to aim the shotgun to hit your target... (just kidding -- I know this is a popular myth).

But seriously -- thanks, folks! You are spot on regarding professional training. I will try to educate myself as much as I can right now, and definately get some good-quality training before making shotgun my primary HD weapon.

WML, ammo carriers, and better sights are my most likely mods, as of right now. I wonder how you guys feel about stock that folds by going on top of the shotgun for close-quarters? This shotgun is long...

Last edited:
I'd go with an oversize safety and I'd dump the magazine follower and install one made of Delrin from S&J hardware. They make one machined from Delrin sized for the Mossberg mag tube.

I shoot at a very sandy range. Some how sand got in the mag tube and bound up my M500 because the factory steel follower did not have enough clearance to clear the sand.

I'd avoid a folding stock. If I wanted a gun without a stock, I'd use a handgun. And if you're right in the heat of the moment, would you ever really stop to fold or unfold the stock to suit the situation?

I Would avoid any folding stock, but the over folders are the worst of the worst. Those thin metal rails will chew up your face when shooting with the stock extended

Also with the mossbergs top mounted safety, getting to it with any kind of pistol grip installed (folding stock or not) is pretty hard.

Good sights are nice to have but not needed. A barrel bead will work just fine at defensive distances. You can even put slugs into a man sized tgt out to 75-100 yds with some practice. The key is a consistant cheek weld. That is harder with one of the folding stocks.

If inside a multifamily dwelling, condos or apartment, I'd steer away from a shotgun or pistol. Go with a M4 sized rifle in .223 or 5.56.

In this order of priority:

1. As far as mods, get a light and make sure it is a rugged weapons light that will take the recoil of a 12 gauge.

Nothing else! Yours holds plenty of ammo. Anything else just increases the likelihood that you snag on something in the confines of a dwelling. You don't need sights. They are just as likely to narrow your peripheral vision and slow done the time to get of shots. A bead is all you need. This is home defense and not combat. Forget a smaller stock that allows you to square up as you move. That is a suckers game. Take a defensible position and hold it until the police arrive. It is too easy to have a long arm taken away in a home. If you want to clear rooms, get a pistol if you must.

2. Shoot it and shoot it some more.

3. Take a home defense class - NOT a combat or tactical course!

4. Shoot it and shoot it some mote.

A light would be good. If the stock is long, an m4 style, or just a youth stock, but only if the one on it is long.
Other than that, get it dirty. Trigger time is the best thing. Ideally, under training.

Back