Got me a Savage 99 that will need some work

Anyone know any good sites or U tubes on repair tips. I have clamps, glue, stain, and filler.
I got a Savage 99B Takedown in 303Savage.for a low price. Mechanically very sound, 50% blue but the stock had been repaired and has a crack on the forearm.
Love a project guns. It will be hours of fun for me...looking forward to getting it in.
pix973065490.jpg

pix481397622.jpg

pix414687957.jpg

pix194206264.jpg

I will attempt to fix the wood. Isn't it pretty!!!!

Last edited:
I'm looking for one just like that.

You can do a lot with split wood, but IMO that one needs new wood. You can sometimes find good used stocks on ebay or buy a precarved stock set and shape, sand, and finish it yourself.

Thanks. Replacemnt stocks on Boyds for only $78.25 shipped. Forgrip would be the kicker on this take down.model.
See what I can do when it comes in.

Roger

Last edited:
No matter what, don't take the magazine assembly apart unless you have an octapus with a master's in mechanical engineering to help you in getting it back together.

I don't think anybody makes a finished fore end, even for the solid frame models. I ordered a semi-finished fore end once and there is so little done to them I just started using a solid walnut block. I consider Boyd's pretty good semi-finished stocks. Weird place for a 99 stock to break. Guy must have butt-stroked a deer to finish it off.

I wouldn't replace the butt stock-
refinish yes but that repair
just adds to the charm.
It looks like it was done with care.
ron

Same here with the butt stock..looks like a nice repair job. On gunbroker every so offen i see a forarm stock so do some looking. Nice gun and can i ask how much u picked it up for??

Thanks for the advice and links. I paid $350. delivered. I feel it was a good price for it, I have been trying to buy a 99 off Gun Broker for quite a few months. I wanted the take down version when I saw it.

Last edited:
Nice price even in that condition. How does the bore look??. I have a few of them passed down to me and my 303 is an octigon barrel. Have fun finding ammo now...lol. watch those gun shows and usually can find a box or two every time.

TWO new projects...

Master Blaster--NIIICE old Savage! And good fortune fixing up the wood. I agree about the buttstock--The repair (at least in the pic) looks sound as is, and I too would leave it alone if so.

But that fore-end definitely needs work.

However, you mentioned another factor:
Found 20 rounds of Old Western Scrounger, LLC 303 Savage, 180gr Round Nose Ammo on GB too for $30 delivered too.
An EXCELLENT reason to get into reloading!! Buck-and-a-half per bang--YOW!!

Good luck with this one, and please keep us posted on your progress! :)

Last edited:
Great news.
The stock and forearm was profesionally and solidly repaired during its 89 years of existance. All I plan on doing is filling the surface cracks with a walnut putty pen and live with it. Don't even need to do that. I will keep it as is. Very nice little rifle. Worth the $360 total with shippn and ffl fee I paid. One of my Lucky finds off Gun Broker. Got 20 rounds of ammo in today too..

May get a lyman or redfield reciever sight for it. Any advise?

Last edited:
I guess the one I got for $600 was not out of line. It did have a cheap scope on those see-thru (high) mounts. They and it are gone.

Have a nice Weaver w/ post on it. It will be my deer gun this fall. Only wish the trigger was 3# instead of 7+#

OOps!!

Sorry about that, both Master Blaster AND Langenc!

So--You going to start reloading, and saving most of that $1.50/bang??

Last edited:
Naw I won't shoot her but a couple times maybe. I am a collector so not a big desire to shoot but to own. I have a couple 50BMG rifles too so i am used to high priced ammo.
Tell you what a Varathane dark walnut fill stick did the trick to the surface cracks. Polish it up with Renaissance Wax Polish. Pretty gun. The stock and forearm are origional to the gun. (Same serial number) Barrel rifling crisp and shiny after cleaned.

Last edited:
I would have bought that in a minute for $350. A savage 99 would be a great gun to redo the stock myself. Not 303 savage for me though(I know many love it, but I prefer a "standard" caliber).

Dont fret the price of that ammo much. That is a good deal cus when i find empty brass, if it is unfired, it is usually about $50_$60 for 50 rounds so unless u r set up to reload u did fine. Besides 90% of my rifle ammo is $27 or up for new factory so that aint outta line...( but still sucks cus just a few years back it was all $18 or below)

Back