Got about $450-$500 for a used handgun...

Its hard to beat a 22 pistol. Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, S&W 422, Beretta Neos, Ruger SR22P, Bersa Thunder 22, all reasonably priced, excellent pistols.

Those questions are pretty pointless because they are like "What kind of car should I buy? or "What kind of woman should I marry? There are many opinions of both the "don't" and the "do" variety, but nothing is solved. Find a friendly gun shop and look at what they have. Get a general idea what you want and will be comfortable with. Then begin to narrow the search down.

Like cars (or wives) you probably won't find everything you want in one model; if you want to haul furniture for a living, you probably won't want a Ferrari; if you race cars for money, forget the moving van.

Jim

S&W 22 caliber

Eventually the 22 ammo will become more available. An old model 34 or 17 will be an excellent choice

I'd hold off on that one for a while. The real world buzz on this brand new gun has not been good, to this point.

I have seen this "buzz" as well .....

Maybe a first time buyer might do well to avoid being an "early adopter" ....

The Ruger sR9c is a well proven platform, and well within the OP's budget.

Saw two MP Shields in the gun store last week. $419 was the price. Don't own one, but I did get to shoot one. Fine little weapon for range or carry.

Glock 26..used..great carry gun. Add G19 mag and Xgrip sleeve and you now have a fun range gun with a full sized grip... IMO.

what?
no love for the RIA 45?

also I have the Armscor mapp1 9mm and its a great under 400 dollar gun

Take a look at what CDNN Investments has on their website. There should be plenty of options that are within your budget, one I saw the other day was a Sig 220 (45acp) for less than $500. That wasn't the only good deal on there.

cz75 p-01 9mm, Glock 19, S&W 6906, Ruger sr9c. You got plenty of choices at that price if considering used as well. Almost forgot, Sig SP2022, used p225.

One semi-auto?

Everybody needs at least one 1911, even if it's not what you would carry. If I were thinking SHTF or defense, I might go with a Glock, but otherwise I love the 1911.

Plenty of new options within your budget. I can echo what a few of the gentleman above said about the Remington R-51....I have not heard good things.

We sell the Ruger SR9 and SR40 for $400.00 for example. Smith & Wesson SD9VE and SD40VE $315.00

That's just a few examples, but you may be pleasantly surprised by the number of reliable firearms you can find within your price range.

Back