Got about $450-$500 for a used handgun...

jujubes

Inactive
Currently only have a early 20th century Colt .38 revolver, want something else now too... Looking for a good all-around handgun, not sure what ammunition I want to be firing, not sure on size either. Just lay down some suggestions. I like the Taurus Public Defender, and I also like Walther PPK's. Not a big fan of the aesthetics of alot of the all-black pistols that seem to be everywhere I look...

May be an eventual CCW, but for now range shooting and firing at some watermelons and targets in the backyard will be the extent of it. Having the ability to add sights to it would be nice as well. Fairly new to the world of handguns, I appreciate your input.

If by "all around" you mean a defensive pistol, a good 9 mm is a good choice. Glocks, Rugers, and Berettas can be found used in that range if you shop around a bit. For that matter, the Beretta PX4 can be had new for $500 if you are patient enough to wait for a good deal.

If you are satisfied with your revolver for defense and want a plinking gun, I think a .22LR makes about the best second gun. Good practice with inexpensive ammo (when you can find it again). If you shoot any more than rarely, a 22LR pays for itself in ammo savings pretty quick.

I just bought a 9mm not to long ago with a budget not unlike yours. I tried a lot of different guns from different makers. Now, I was focused on DA/SA metal frame pistols, so my comments will relfect those.

Two of the notables That stood out for me, and perhaps you might want to look into, were......

The Bersa UC9 Pro, compact 9mm. These had a new price tag of $425. Controls are well laid out, has a safety /decocker and is one of the easiest guns I have ever taken apart for cleaning. Lifetime warranty. Well made and shoots nice. Based off of a Walther P88 (a $1,200 gun in back in the eighties).

The Stoeger Cougar, Full size 9mm. These had a new price tag of $369. This gun was extremely comfortable in my hand. The sights were nice and very visible. Also has a safety/decocker. This gun is basically a metal framed Beretta PX4 (The Cougars used to be sold under the Beretta name, Stoeger makes them now on the same machines).

I ended up with the Bersa, but might go back and buy that Stoeger...

Totally agree

The Bersa UC9 Pro, compact 9mm. These had a new price tag of $425. Controls are well laid out, has a safety /decocker and is one of the easiest guns I have ever taken apart for cleaning. Well made and shoots nice.

Totally agree, also check out the HC version.

I also think a third gen S&W in 9mm is a great all around pistol. A 5906 is a good solid gun with plenty of mags on the market and 9mm is going to be the cheapest ammo (not counting 22lr but you cant find it anyway).:)

Last edited:

Welcome to TFL, jujubes !

You might want to consider a .22 RF revolver in LR, in magnum, or a dual cylinder LR/Mag model.

Of course, .22RF's won't do a whole lotta damage to a watermelon................ :p

i will never stop touting the greatness and value if the turkish cz-clones, i have two now with thousands of rounds through them w/o one single malfunction, they are pretty, all-metal and have nothing but great reviews

my fav is the tri-star t100 compact from academy 350$ new, a little bit too much heft for cc, but i still do

21yards
better SA trigger than an actual cz imo

resaerch tri-star and canik55 and see the reviews, everyone is starting to catch on to how well built this guns are for the price

Some good suggestions, here.

Generally, your first auto is unlikely to be your ultimate auto. As you shoot you'll decide that some things are more important and others less so - and everyone is different about what gets them stoked.

My first centerrfire was a new Baby Eagle. Cool gun, accurate enough, ergonomic for smaller hands. In the end I felt it was a little too heavy for the accuracy it produced (don't mind a heavier gun if it drives tacks, but carry guns should be easier to tote.)

The next gun I bought was a Glock 19. I bought it used, adapted just fine to the less ergonomic control placement and was more likely to take it places because it wasn't so heavy. It demonstrated that all the things I thought were so important to me when I was researching the BE were not.

In the end, I sold both the BE and the 19. But I made money on the G19 because I bought it used, and I lost on the BE. So I would seek an older, name brand gun that is in very good or better shape on the used market. Make sure mags are available and avoid guns of questionable quality, like Taurus, because you aren't going to have a warranty.

Some favorites in used guns right now would be LE G17s, S&W 5906, CZ-75B, EAA Witness steel frame, Sig P225/P6, Beretta 92 and Ruger P89, 93, 94 or 95. Any of those guns can be purchased around for $450 or a lot less, and will stay or go up in value.

But I do like the Caniks, and they are so cheap they won't go down in price, either.

A friend just won an auction for $500 minty Beretta 92SB as his first gun. He doesn't know if he'll love the big Beretta, but he knows he got a deal so he won't lose anything for trying.

Last edited:
Another fan of the S&W 5906 as a darned good used handgun. Built like tanks, readily available, good shooters. Nice way to start.

Got about $450-$500 for a used handgun...

Yea Glock 26s and 19s can be had for that.

S&W J .38 can be had.. even new ones!

Might even find a good Speed Six Ruger for $500.

Plenty of good defensive guns for that price range.

Look around!

Deaf

If I could only have one handgun (God forbid) it would be a Glock 19. It is easy to carry great at the range and a rock solid platform. You can get one for under your budget and 9mm ammo is becoming readily available again.

Unless you want a .22LR plinker, if you add a few hundred to your budget, look at a good 1911 in .45ACP.

For $400-$500, I'd upgrade that old revolver to a newer S&W revolver, for a good carry piece. A Model 36 Chief's Special, 3" barrel, or a Model 60, same length, or a .357 you can run .38 through, 4" barrel.

You're familiar with revolvers, I'd stick with a revolver for now.

Nothing wrong with having a .38 you carry and the older one as a backup in the nightstand, you may want to ensure your spouse has one available if you are absent.

You need a third gen S&W my friend. Built like a tank, good looks, good ergonomics, great trigger, and cheap enough to get more mags or ammo.

I also think a third gen S&W in 9mm is a great all around pistol.

Another fan of the S&W 5906 as a darned good used handgun. Built like tanks, readily available, good shooters. Nice way to start.

I agree with these sentiments. You might want to consider a Third Generation variant like the Model 6906 if you ever plan on carrying the pistol concealed.

And welcome to The Firing Line, jujubes!

Back