Got a LOUD Muzzle Brake ?

Loud muzzle brake can clear the lanes next to you, so does a real bad case of body odor. In either cases, purposely plant yourself right in the middle of your peers just to watch them flee; you are an a-hole, a real foul smelling one.

I have met a few of those.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Loud muzzle brake can clear the lanes next to you, so does a real bad case of body odor. In either cases, purposely plant yourself right in the middle of your peers just to watch them flee; you are an a-hole, a real foul smelling one.

I have met a few of those.

-TL

Could not agree more. Similarly to the way tuzo's tactitool would not be considerate at the pistol range.

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

I have to agree with tangolima on this one. I have no problem if someone comes up to me and asks nicely but I try to use an end bench to begin with. Unfortunately sometimes you don't get that opportunity to pick and choose shooting benches. If you come up to me and are an ahole right from the start then good luck with that cuz I ain't budging. Every guy that uses a muzzle brake is not a jerk.

Yeah, it can be a divisive subject, for sure. I have a friend that uses them on some guns. When in use, I have to get directly behind him or take a walk. We can't both shoot together when a braked weapon is involved. I'm polite about it and as tolerant about it as I can be, as it is an important friendship. But here, I guess I can say that I hate muzzle brakes. On the other hand, I sure wish that suppressors would get deregulated.

Last edited:
Every guy that uses a muzzle brake is not a jerk.

Agreed, more like passing wind in a crowded elevator. :D

So, the only "brakes" that have less blast do so at a penalty of less performance...

I dont know what this means. Is performance judged as less recoil or less accuracy or less power? My impression from discussion with quite a few shooters is these are all selected based on the cool factor. Or the barrel must be threaded for a reason. I had to put something on there.

PS. I would never use the j word.

Here you go:

http://www.spitzlead.com/

I don't know of anyone that puts on a muzzle brake for aesthetics? I know some just like to put on fancy muzzle flash suppressors but that's about it.

I think they're necessary on larger magnums throwing heavy pills, but I too had one that came on a high end AR, and it was essentially just a loudener that made the gun unpleasant to shoot. I took it off, re-crowned to an 11deg, and had them make a knurled cap so I kept the threads and can run a can. Never happier.

In matches where recoil mitigation is essential (where you've got to keep a sight picture through your scope) with timed courses of fire it's going to be a brake or a can, and a brake is a lot cheaper and less hassle.

A properly tuned brake does not increase volume for the shooter. Annoying people beside me I am competing against is an added bonus.

I have several rifles and shot guns with breaks. 556-308-30 378-12ga. I have installed them for my comfort. I try to be respectful to my fellow shooters and try to take a shooting position with some distance from them. this is not always possible. when I see another shooter with a break installed I will take the position next to them if the range is full. As to training, what better "cage rattle" than a small concussive force to make a shooter turn off the rest of the world and focus on the mechanics of their shot. In a world that paper doesn't shoot back, and you have some support (other shooters) I can see the annoyance, this is not the real world. Fact of matter is the 30-378 with 208gr bullet, without a break will separate my shoulder from it's socket. My jc higgens 12ga has an adjustable choke combined with the break (dial a duck). I find the break to be a useful item. I say get used to them because their not going away any time soon.

I had an integrated brake on my 8mm Hakim. It was so loud that I started doubling up on muffs/plugs.

I'm never buying another rifle with brake again.

I had an integrated brake on my 8mm Hakim. It was so loud that I started doubling up on muffs/plugs.

I'm never buying another rifle with brake again.
That actually can be defused. Taking out the plug (the round piece with hole for the bullet to exit) weakens the braking action and thus the noise.

I have a hakim myself. Each time I shoot it I move to the side lane. I will inform the shooters up to 2 lanes over about the noise. If they were not ok I will wait till they are done. Most of the time they are ok.

The noise is indeed horrendous. I wonder how they possibly used that rifle in the Egyptian army. After a fire fight the whole platoon would go deaf.

-TL

Back