Got a LOUD Muzzle Brake ?

KROIL

I own several rifles with muzzle brakes. The volume of the crack/boom varies with the caliber. An AR I have that is braked is pretty loud. But my 300 W/M Browning BAR is my king of loud. It has the BOSS brake/tuner on it. When I fire it at the range I notice all on the line are looking at me. Loud brakes are also a good way not to have anyone using the benches next to you. Just kidding....or maybe not.

True, guns are loud. With a muzzle brake, they seem louder because of the porting on the brakes. That's why the "looks" from near-by shooters. Ported shotgun barrel's aren't a happy situation in a duck blind, I can tell you. Too much "side blast" if you will. From either. Put a brake on a Weatherby .378 or bigger and watch the reaction. Not to mention car alarms going off.

Those Hungarian AMD65 brakes are a magnificent loudener. They make a roomy hole in the line fast.

I thought I had the king of loud with my Socom16 and some Russian ammos, and, yes, even with standard ammos it's pretty darned loud. When I let my buddy shoot it in the indoor stall next to me... even I don't like to stand there!

Anyway... dude next to me was shooting a Mosin carbine with Silver Bear Russian ammos... good heavens!!! Made me feel like I had a can on the Socom...

Stand something fairly light next to the muzzle brake (not in front of it) the next time you shoot and I'll bet money that that object moves to the side. Gas pressure AND SOUND WAVES are being vented by the muzzle brake to the sides of your rifle, hence the unhappy neighbors at the range.

Take a look at the muzzle brake on a Barrett 50 sometime. Notice those big vents pointed out to the sides, parallel to the ground/shooting surface. Imagine what would be the result if somebody rotated the brake 90 degrees and fired the weapon from the prone position with anything but a hard surface under the brake. :eek::(

My son has the ridiculously large muzzle brake on his Ruger American Ranch in 7.62X39. This gun really didn't need a brake, but it has a threaded barrel and it is his rifle. I shot it once without hearing protection... My ears were ringing for two days... NEVER AGAIN!!!

I thought I had the king of loud with my Socom16 and some Russian ammos, and, yes, even with standard ammos it's pretty darned loud. When I let my buddy shoot it in the indoor stall next to me... even I don't like to stand there!

Anyway... dude next to me was shooting a Mosin carbine with Silver Bear Russian ammos... good heavens!!! Made me feel like I had a can on the Socom...
My M1A scout wii clear the benches next to me.

I got a rifle with a loud and unnecessary muzzle brake. Pulled it off, and finally got
it sighted in and shooting to POA. The BN36 has a loud and windy Muzzle Break.
IMO, a muzzle break on the smaller calibers is a waste of money.

I was happy to replace the obnoxious muzzle brake on one of my AR rifles with an A2 flash hider. The rifle is much more pleasant to shoot.

Love the looks I get shooting my broken .300Wby mag. That is definitely one loud gun. I won't shoot it any longer unless I have my custom plugs in. Too much hearing loss over the years and don't need one good crack to take me to 80 year old man levels (I'm 28 currently)

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

Generally its louder off to the side than it is behind the gun.
From some of the posts I detect some sense of fun or hunger for attention because folks on the line react to the blast.

Come on! I'm responsible for my own ear protection,yes. I'm tolerant of brakes.I'm not suggesting brakes be banned,etc.

But there is such a thing as courtesy. If you know your gun is loud,do the best you can at being considerate.

Its sort of like having a flatulence attack. Don't suffer.Do what you have to do.

But walking off by yourself might be good.

Don't crank one off in a movie theatre and think you are cute because everyone is looking at you.

The very effective brake on my Windrunner (.50BMG) will blow a full liter bottle of water off the bench. On the bright side, the recoil is virtually non-existent.

^^^^
Same with my Barrett, the brake is loud. But then I have the Barrett Suppressor. ( That’s a joke the rifle is still louder suppressed than any other unsuppressed rifle.

There is a muzzle brake out there that's supposedly no louder than the same gun without. The Vais brake has the ports angled in such a way that the sound cancels itself out. This way you get the benefits of recoil reduction without the downsides.

The worst offenders that I've been around were a .257 Weatherby and .338 WM, each with very effective brakes.
The blast and noise were very unpleasant.

Overly loud and physically offensive, even without a brake: .300 Weatherby, .340 Weatherby, .327 Federal (handgun), 7.5" 5.56x45mm.

My brother's (formerly my own) .458 SOCOM, and my .475 Tremor can be unpleasant for bystanders if the bystander and brake are positioned just-so. But, outside of that 'perfect' positioning, they're simply very effective for recoil mitigation and not overly offensive. (Tromix 'fish gill' brakes on both.)

*All of the above assume hearing protection is being worn - including the possibility of plugs plus muffs.

Back