Got a G19.5 How do you hold a Glock?

I keep things simple. I buy guns if they feel right in my hands. Then if they hit where I’m aiming I keep them, if they don’t I sell them. I like to pick up any pistol I own and shoot it accurately without having to change my grip, trigger pull, sight picture, etc.

Pro tip from the serious Glocksters: don’t limp-wristing yo’ gat! :eek:

It’ll only start you down that bumpy bad road full of feeding-malfs, left-drifting POIs, and other shooter-induced errors, ... like habitually stopping every third round to check if the slide is actually in battery. :rolleyes:

Noop. Hold it right, grip it tight. That web ‘tween your thumb and trigger finger should be scrunched up high-n-hard on the backstrap. Once in place, don’t move it.
Activitaing the slide release ...
Noop. Typical Glockster rookie mistake right there. :rolleyes:

Unless you’ve got an Orangoutang thumb, forget about trying to shift your hand around the grip. You’ll only fugly the next round of shots after reloading.

On slide lock, after dropping the empty mag and inserting a fresh one, Glock pros take their off-hand and “sling-shot” the slide into battery (i.e., that quick pull-back and release technique perfected by Israeli Massad trainers).

The off-hand then returns to a support position, and you return to engaging targets COM with no change in POI because you haven’t changed your hand-position on the grip.

Just a possible mag change option. When you run dry activate the mag release with your support hand as you are coming down to grab fresh mag. This is fast and doesn’t require a major grip shift.

As others have said that vast majority of handguns require a grip shift for me to hit the mag release.

Maybe two final questions.

Grip tape on the tang where the web of my thumb... Is that a thing to do and does it work for not being so slippery right there?

Is it pretty typical for the front sight to be high when bringing it up? I feel more comfortable with the grip, but notice I need to point down more than 50% of the time from a snap up...if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Maybe two final questions.

Grip tape on the tang where the web of my thumb... Is that a thing to do and does it work for not being so slippery right there?

Is it pretty typical for the front sight to be high when bringing it up? I feel more comfortable with the grip, but notice I need to point down more than 50% of the time from a snap up...if that makes sense.

Thanks!
I have never had any problem in a Glock not being sticky enough. To me it's downright sticky compared to my aluminum grips on my race gun. You just have to get used to a Glock. As to it's pointing, you have to train your muscle memory. As I often have told people, "I can shoot my Glock34 real good. I can shoot my CZ75-SP-01 real good, but I can't shoot either worth a crap at the same time." Glock, to me, are different animals. I have to mesh with my Glock. Meshing with them un-mesh me from hammer fired, traditional style pistols, and vice-versa.

That is something that practice will change. Glocks have a grip angle about 22 degrees off square where a 1911 is about 18 degrees. So Glocks will point a bit higher till you train your hand to them.

When I'm bringing a gun up from ready or from the draw, I would rather the front sight be too high than too low. At least if it's too high, you can see it more quickly and adjust more easily. If it's too low, then you see it later and adjustment is delayed.

However, better than too low or too high is for it the gun to come up with the sights right on target where you are looking.

One of the reasons I finally gave in and bought a Glock was that they point perfectly for me. The first time I picked one up and brought it up on target, the sights were already aligned where I was looking.
That is something that practice will change. Glocks have a grip angle about 22 degrees off square where a 1911 is about 18 degrees. So Glocks will point a bit higher till you train your hand to them.
It is true that one can learn to compensate for a gun that doesn't point naturally. It's also true that a person will likely eventually get used to whatever gun they are practicing with assuming it's not too badly mismatched with their natural anatomy.

However, I think it's better if you can find a gun that points well for you without having to get used to it--without having to compensate.

For years didn't like glocks 2x4 grip, just too big . Finally did buy one, but like with other large grip pistols i rotate my hand towards centerline of body so the trigger is pulled straight back. Not wanting the sights to jerk to side at trigger release. For me that is using the old style weaver stance and push/pull grip with trigger at the first joint or slightly past.

Getting a little too old to change what is working, but sure like the standard "old man sights" on glocks. Very quick to line up at close quarters.

Getting a little too old to change what is working, but sure like the standard "old man sights" on glocks. Very quick to line up at close quarters.
At “close quarters” - with the bad-guy almost on you - you won’t need sights. You won’t have time to find a sight picture.

It’s draw, point, and shoot.

At “close quarters” - with the bad-guy almost on you - you won’t need sights. You won’t have time to find a sight picture.

It’s draw, point, and shoot.
I agree. Sights are not used for first shot in CQC. They are used for second or third and all following shots. If they were to be used, a bright front and ghost ring or blacked out back would be the choice.

I agree. Sights are not used for first shot in CQC. They are used for second or third and all following shots. If they were to be used, a bright front and ghost ring or blacked out back would be the choice.
You gentlemen feel free to disagree. Up close I look over my sights directly at target. The glocks large white outline makes this particularly easy. When used to practicing this often, the range could be extended out some.

"Very quick to line up" does not mean focusing on front site. Am old, can shoot very fast/accurately up close, and this works for me.

You gentlemen feel free to disagree. Up close I look over my sights directly at target. The glocks large white outline makes this particularly easy. When used to practicing this often, the range could be extended out some.

"Very quick to line up" does not mean focusing on front site. Am old, can shoot very fast/accurately up close, and this works for me.
I don't try to change anyone's mind. A lot depends on if first shot is from holster, low ready, or high ready. If from holster, shooting 7 yd or less, for ideal time, first shot should come from weapon at about you navel hight, second shot at 1/2 to 2/3 extension, and last shot behind sights. There are some fast shooters who don't fire until full extension, but the fastest fire usually two times prior to that point.
As targets get smaller, distances longer, or both; all that changes.

Last edited:
Very good clarification. Am old and if someone is too close too miss, the pistol won't be brought up past where i can start shooting it. That distance is limited by my skill/ practice level, and am not carrying a tape measure. Certainly agree "up close" is relative.

Back