Got a different WC to try. 358 063

Beagle333

This one just looks like a lot of fun. Easy to cast, easy to lube, and doesn't matter which end to load! :D
063003_zps881c44d8.jpg

Coated up and resized back to .358 and it didn't chip or flake off. These are cast from 17:3 pure/WW with hardly any tin. I'm going to try to get them to 1,300 fps. They feel slick! :)
440010_zps7462d6de.jpg

I loaded em up today with 6.0 gr of Unique. I didn't get the chrony out yet, but I think that's faster than 1,300. (chart says 6.4 is 1,465) Anyway, they dind't leave a speck of anything in the barrel or cylinder, and they shot nice and straight, just like a WC should. I didn't load them flush with top of case because they fit in the cylinder like this, and also I didn't want to stretch my case out to .358 half way down its length.
063001_zps4863c624.jpg

These were fired into my soft dry sand berm and I'm pretty happy with the prelim results. I'm hoping it will allow me to shoot Stick-on WW or even pure in my .357 at a pretty nice speed. So far, so good.
:)
063004_zps1dbd1c0d.jpg

I'm not taking any credit for development, I'm just following directions and reading what others smarter'n me have done. ;)

But I'm glad they done it! :D

Well I can clearly see that your getting the hang of the F stop and using the macro button on your camera, your pictures have improved two fold over the past couple of weeks. I can clearly see the fuzz on those bullets now..:D:D

AS easy as you make it all look and as pretty as all of those colors are, I still am not about to jump into the PC world. I already have more crap sitting around here I need to get shed of to start another project. Yours however look great.

It's not too much extra stuff for me since I only load for one handgun caliber. I might give it a small test on some slow 30-30 rounds and see if I can shoot softer stuff in there.
I just want to try to use some stick-ons in the .357 since the softer stuff is easier to find these days.:D

Well, that and the fact that I don't own a lubrisizer. :p
Shake and bake just seems easier than pan/dip lubing.

(Oh, and the fuzz this time is from an orange sheet. I draped an old sheet over the berm so I'd know where to dig for these bullets. There must be 160-180 pounds of lead in the berm at present.)

Last edited:
Nice testing!

That sure beats a sand berm any day! ;) That's some good info.
I'm going to try to get my 360160 WFN's to do that. Currently I just blow the nose off and a small base "pellet" continues on. Perhaps I can get some 50/50 or softer to a little faster speed using the PC. :)

All right Beagle---it's about time I put some soldiers in rank and file up alongside yours... :D 356402's PC'd yellow with a touch of graphite. All ready to size and load--these babies cook a touch over 1000fps in a 38+P and somewhere upward of 1500fps in a hot 357 load. :D TOO MUCH FUN! I found a technique that gets 'em REAL even, smooth, and uses such a tiny amount as to think I've been terribly wasteful till now!

DSCF6778_zpsbed50eaa.jpg

THAT is Powder Coating. ;) I have my tumble method worked out now. Bake according to curing for the paint (400 for 20 minutes for this one), cool, size, load. Accuracy increase is very noticeable, bore has never stayed cleaner (and I use to brag about how clean my lead runs), and velocity limits are much higher than even 45-45-10 has allowed with a softer alloy (concerning my rifles).

Nice lookin' 356402's!!! I like the addition of the graphite.

I coated some soft TB's in green. It doesn't make a beautiful solid color with the Piglet method, but it does give a nice complete coverage of all bearing surfaces and boy, it sure is slick. The coating looks like wet glass, but they are dry and have been baked and sized down too. Not a scratch on it. They're ready for a meeting with a bunch of water jugs.
:D
tb2005_zpsc7739a5b.jpg

Still testing.....

I'm kinda gettin' fond of this method.... it doesn't waste much on the inside of the grooves and nose, but look how nice and slick the bands are. These are sized and ready for whatever. I didn't shoot any of them yet... it's football Saturday and I'm pressed for time. ;)
keith011_zps00192d96.jpg

And just for testing, I put some PB checks on some of em to try out.

keith012_zpsb0f6ffd4.jpg

They're punched out of soda cans. There are folks on castboolits forum who sell checkmakers and also just the checks. I have been using gas checked bullets, but I also have lots of plain based ones that might could benefit from some of these checks, so I'm trying em out.

Pat marlin over on cast boolits sells both regular gas check makers and plain base gas check makers. Very time consuming. Blammer on cast boolits sells regular gas checks at a reduced price and better quality.

Well now your just showing off, pure and simple. :D

What tha heck though, your doin a good job of it, so why not.

As for the PB checks, there are also a couple of folks selling them already made in a couple of different thicknesses for some of the more popular calibers over in the Swappin and Selling forum of Castboolits.

I picked up a few hundred to try out in several calibers, but have yet to find I needed one. I'm sure however that when I get around to messing with my Contenders that I will utilize some of them for sure.

Back