Goodbye to Savage

stagpanther

Just received a new axis 2 in 280 AI--and although it's been a good long ride with savage and I have/had dozens of them--this will probably be the last savage that I purchase. This one arrived with extensive pitting around the muzzle and a deep gouge that circles the entire bore in one spot near the muzzle, unfired except for whatever the factory did. Although I know I probably can package the rifle and send it back, I'm simply tired of playing "Last one with the lemon is IT!" Fortunately, I ordered a custom barrel to be made months ago and it should be ready in the next couple of weeks, so I can still use it as a donor rifle.:(
attachment.php

attachment.php

Brand new rifle just unboxed, unfired (except by factory)

Attachments

• Photo on 12-2-20 at 5.30 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-2-20 at 5.30 PM.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 821
  • Photo on 12-2-20 at 5.32 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-2-20 at 5.32 PM.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Came from a retailer--though it will likely still go back to savage if I return it. Been through this before. I'm going to yank the barrel anyway so I have to weigh the value of getting another barrel that I'm going to pull anyway (and possibly wait a month or more if I send it to savage), though I could maybe sell the savage if it were in decent shape.

I hear you! I've been swearing of Savage as well. Not because of the issues you've had with your current rifle. I'm swearing off of them because I'm buying other rifles cheaper than the 10/110 rifles. If Savage had stuck with the Stevens 200 as their bargain rifle instead of the Axis I'd be using them still.

I have seldom had issues with a Savage. Maybe I am just lucky, they are putting out far better stuff than Remington was in their final days. For less money too. I almost never buy the bottom of the barrel model either.

AFAIK; Savage doesn't have a "bottom of the barrel" barrel making machine--they are all made on the same machine I believe. Anyway, this barrel is far worse than any of my older savage barrels, and I wasn't too pleased about the firing pin failing after less than 100 cartridges on my 110 338 lapua magnum. There is no excuse for a barrel leaving the factory in this condition IMO--unless of course nobody looks at it after it has been test fired.

Whether you have them fix it, or not, you should at least let Savage know about the problem, and I don't mean just the nice person who answers the phone, either.

NO company deliberately sends out bad product, and when something does get out, its because there is a problem, with QA/QC and that's something management needs to know about. Don't just assume they know and don't care. No problem can be addressed, let alone fixed if you don't know its there.

If the damage happened at the factory and they still sent it out, that means multiple screw ups. They need to know that, or they can't fix it.

Whether you have them fix it, or not, you should at least let Savage know about the problem, and I don't mean just the nice person who answers the phone, either.

NO company deliberately sends out bad product, and when something does get out, its because there is a problem, with QA/QC and that's something management needs to know about. Don't just assume they know and don't care. No problem can be addressed, let alone fixed if you don't know its there.

If the damage happened at the factory and they still sent it out, that means multiple screw ups. They need to know that, or they can't fix it.
Fair enough--assuming I can get through.

Stagpanther: I am sorry to hear about your gun. it would have me hopping mad. I own only 1 Savage and it is an Axis II in 308. It is a very nice gun. My only gripe is I can feel the stock flex when I shoot it. It least I think I feel it. I would contact Savage customer service and talk too them, or maybe see if they have a Facebook page and post your concerns. Hope this works out well for you.

Hi stagpanther,

There's no excuse for shoddy workmanship or for remiss quality control.

I feel your pain.

I hope you get your rifle repaired to brand new condition.

My Savage 16 Weather Warrior has been flawless. I like the ability to get a rifle chambered in my choice (if Savage chambers in other models) for a small upcharge. A Left Hand 16 with Accustock and Accutrigger in 260 is awesome and shoots less than .5"

I have been a big fanboy of savage for decades--but for me their QC has slid far enough that it's time for me to find an alternative.

You actually put a borescope down a Savage barrel? !:eek:
What were you thinking you'd find?
It's not a Shilen, or Critereon, or any other number of top match grade barrel makers.

I do agree, that mark going around the circumfrence shouldn't be there.

Heck, if i hadn't just bought a 257 Roberts barrel for a Savage, i might offer ya $50 for that one. ;)

Still might...

Back