Good starter hunting rifle for my dad

The Savage/Stevens 200 is relatively inexpensive and can be bought packaged with an ok scope.

It comes in .243, .270, .308, .30-06 and others. You might want to consider .270 as a minimum for deer. Oops I meant elk.

Last edited:
I tend to go with designs that have been used for quite a while. In my pistol I have a 1911. My shotgun is a Browning Citori Over and Under. If I get a pump it'll either be an 870 Wingmaster or a BPS.

When I got my bolt action, I ended up hitting used gun stores masquerading as pawn shops to find a Remington 700 BDL in 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I think I picked it up for about 600 as I recall. I then sat on it for a month until I could hit Cabelas for a nice Leupold scope. Buds has one factory new for close to 800. Cabelas gun library has several 7mm's for 600-700. Many have a scope on them to hold you over until you can upgrade, if necessary.

Being a cheapskate, I suggest the Marlin X-7 series in either .308 or .30-06.
Factory recoil pad and bedding, makes a .30-06 feel like a .243 :)

As an over-40-type guy, I'm appreciating less recoil as I get older...and the Marlin delivers Sub-MOA precision for Low Price!! As they start at $299!
that way you can toss the savings into a good scope!!

The other method, as was mentioned before...a good used Marlin 336 in .35 will drop EVERYTHING in North America :)

Just to be totally blunt, most game are taken at less than 100 yards, so a lever-action is right on target...
A scope just gives one more distance options ;)

The cheapest quality combo, IMO, would be a Stephens with a Nikon Pro Staff. Both provide great bang for your buck. When you consider the time and expense invested, especially in an elk hunt, I would not trust a cheap package scope. For a little more, a Savage 10/110 or Remington 700 ADL would be great choices. Both are easily capable of outstanding accuracy. As far as caliber, my first choice would be 30-06 followed by 270 or 308. If recoil is an issue, a good recoil pad is worth it's weight in gold.

Not a thing wrong with 30-06 cartridge. I would suggest 180 gr for elk. Ammo is easy to come by..........you can find a box in all sporting goods stores (just about anyway) unless they are out of stock. Almost all the MFG's chamber their rifles for this cartridge. Since you said he has fired the 30-06 before, he will be familiar with it. Best choice for him that I can think of.

I am assuming your father is tending toward being a gray beard like me. A good sporterized 03 might be a good choice.

The 30-06 is probably the best choice. It does not have the kick or the magnums and has a wide variety of factory loads which make it one of the most versatile cartridges on the North American continent. It also makes it one of the more economical cartridges.

Go with a rem. 700 cdl ss in 300 win mag and he'll be good to go. ( if he gets the package) its got an amazing recoil pad so it feels bout like a .243.

Back