Good starter hunting rifle for my dad

Kimio

I know absolutely nothing about hunting rifles. What would be an affordable starter rifle and optic that could take down elk or deer?

Any help would be appreciated.

The smokin'est deal going these days (so I've seen) is the recently introduced Ruger American in .243, .308 or .30-06... fit with a Nikon, Bushnell or Redfield scope. About $600 or less for all of it... and all good quality. Go to WalMart.

There have been some good deals on Savage Axis and Stevens rifles too.

C

A good, affordable and pretty decent quailty option would be a gun from H&R/New England. They sell rifles from .22 all the way to 45-70. They are made very nicely, simple, and durable. They are single shots, but that also makes them cheaper. I recommend a 45-70, but a 30-06 is a good option too. If it was just a deer gun, I love the .243 round. But I'm not an elk expert, and I don't know how well it would do.

H&R guns are LIGHT. They have quite a bit of felt recoil in the heavier calibers.
If you can look past their simple design they are one heck of a deal though.
Doesn;t take a genius or a lot of money to ad a little weight to them either.

Kimio - there can be a huge difference between deer and elk and therefore the calibers and bullet weights/ballistics involved. Since you are a senior poster, you must know a fair bit about guns and ballistics.

First, you didn't describe what you consider to be affordable. Is it closer to $500 or $1,000 or $,1500? You can get the job done at all three, with the right caliber, decent optics and close-enough range, but at $500 new it might be a single-shot primitive-hunter-eligible rifle (like .45-70) with a low-power scope, good for close-in shots, or you could buy a very decent used rifle and hopefully-good scope. Next, you didn't quite say that your dad has never hunted anything before, nor what his shooting experience and ability are.

It would be helpful if you describe your dad's previous hunting or shooting experience, to elicit more responses. Also, will he be hunting with experienced guides or seasoned hunting companions? Will he be hunting in icy-cold temps? All of that matters. The only addition I'd make to Creeper's comment is that I would not hunt elk with a .243, period. I'd be surprised if that were allowed in the state. Sure, it can be done, but there is so much blank space here, including that your dad has never hunted before, that a .243 is no-no-no in my book until I know that he has been to Camp Perry and also killed 1,000 prairie dogs. He might be a crack shot on paper, but that is not the same as placing a light-weight bullet in the right place on a big, strong animal. With a cartridge like that, there is a good chance of wounding it and losing it.

Don't forget to scour sites like Gunbroker for good used big-game guns, like No. 1 Rugers, that function well in really cold climates where some of the modern ones might want to freeze up. Given the range of game you mentioned, elk and deer, I would not go out with less than .308 or .30-06 and more likely would tend toward 7mm Magnum or .300 Weatherby or H&H.

All that said, good for you that you are helping to get your dad out in the field. It is an uncommon reversal of roles, but a welcome one nonetheless.

The only addition I'd make to Creeper's comment is that I would not hunt elk with a .243, period.

Funny you mention that. I actually deleted the .243 chambering, until I remembered that there are folks that do hunt elk with one. I wouldn't, but sometimes, it ain't about me. :p

Cheers,
C

Cut and paste what you want to quote, then highlight it... then click on this
quote.gif
... second from last in the "tools" above.

Oh yeah, if you want to insert the name, put the equals sign and the name into the first box... like so
FloridaVeteran said:
Cheers,
C

IMO, a Savage 10 or 14 in 308 would be ideal. I would add a 4x or 6x scope on it. The scope will be the key to him enjoying it.

Something like this.

Creeper - I clicked on "tools for this thread" or whatever it was, and could not get to what you described.

Rather than muck up this thread with more irrelevant-to-topic posts, I'll ask someone through the administrator channel. Thanks much for your help. I'm an old fart and it is ironic that I was trying to help the OP when I don't even know how to post a proper quote in a forum reply.

What I love about guns and shooting is the sportsmanship, friendship and camaraderie. One competitor helping another even if it means the "helpee" wins. You don't see that much in any other discipline/competitive hobby.

FV

It's in the message box when you click on "post reply".

I'll shoot you a PM with a bit more detail. Nevermind... you're set up to not receive PMs. :(

Last thing, how are your "posting rules" (at bottom left of page) set up? Should be something like this: