Good self-defense knife?

Yes yes 25' that was it sorry... and Good sir i ment no offence by what i said, i was just stating a rule that was taught to me... and normally BGs maybie fairly clever but, they tend not to think about what they are doing when they go to rob someone...
its more like *I need money for my next bag... hey theres a guy *Walks up to him in conversation range and speaks in a low voice* give me all your money or die...*
thats when you need to do a threat assesment and see if the person will shoot you anyway after you give them your wallet... if the person is just skittish and wants to get the hell out of their give him your wallet and report it.. if the guy has a serious look in his eye and is looking at your eyes etc rather then your hands and where the money is coming from then i would be worryed...

i dont mind corrections on these statements i am just speaking from some personal experance...

but considering that i just turned 21 myself and have not been able to get a Carry permit *nor do i have a suitable weapon or training but wish to persue these both /w a personal intrest* i have stuck with knives senise i was 16...

and on a bit of a differnt note.. in responce to a earlyer statement.. i remember a time when i was 17 i was walking to the bus to goto my college, dressed in a trench coat, sun glasses and combat boots *stuped militant kid i was" and i noticed a patrol car pass on the other side of the street. they make a u-trun and stop me, side arms drawn. i clamly keep my hands in clear view and ask what the problem was.. they just asked me to open my coat, and hand them my bag, also if i had any weapons on me... like a fool i mentioned i had 3 pocket knives on my.. my Gerber lock back, my multitool and my swiss army knife. after giving me a bit of an odd look they checked my ID and left me on my way...

looking at this thread i thought that was pretty intresting antadote ..

Jess

S76Patriot said:
Camillus Heat

$38.95

I had gotten to the bottom of the first page and wondered why nobody had mentioned Camillus yet. IMO, they make the best folding knives for the money. I have a black bladed serrated Heat as pictured and a Cuda Maxx, both are excellent knives.

Ten yds!

Ten yds is the latest "Thats to close" distance, used to be 21 feet, but a teen, with bad intent, and a knife will cut you!! a wee bit less chance at 10 yds, (30ft) I have carrid a knife all my adult life, the last 5 years, or so, the Benchmade axis lock, quicker than an auto knife, and a one hand closer as well.
1960 to 64 I worked on the door of The Cavern Club, in Liverpool UK, I was stabbed twice, once in the back, nasty little cut next to my right kidney, once in the right wrist, by a rat tail file, converted to an ice pick by some sick s+++ in a suit! this 18 year old had this weapon up side down in a holder, stiched inside his jacket, what I thought was a straight left punch!! was a thumb forward stab for the heart! I took it in the right wrist blocking what I thought was a punch, silly me! promptly slamming him into the stone wall in the entrance (head first, side of head!) the Police took him away, still out, not sure if he took a dive into the Mersey!! at least I was never called to Court.

A Glock 19 is not as small as a knife, but quicker to get into play, and the ringing in your ears goes away after a while!
Keep Safe.

Don't

Don't carry a knife for self-defence unless you are very skilled in knife-combat. Otherwise your own knife might quickly turn against you.

Benchmade AFCK...D2 steel...very nice knife and I love the newer axis lock. Also for a really big folder I love my Cold Steel Grand Vaquero...it carries very easily and I carry it often...mostly my AFCK though because it is more comfortable. Trust me on this...even with a moderate skill level, a person can be very effective with a solid knife in hand. Get some knife fighting videos and see what a totally unskilled person can do with one.

Also, in reguard to why you should carry a knife when you have a gun. What if a guy comes from behind and gets his hand on your gun, you grab his wrist as he starts to grip the gun in your holster. With your free hand, you grab your knife and slit his wrist. simple as that. :D

I don't understand how that Emerson Commander can be opened so fast - looks like an auto-knife.... :confused:

Wow, I *really* like that ocean master dive knife - nice.

this is true i remember reading something a big knive trainner (from what he said he had studyed TONs of knife fighting teciques from all over the world) had wrote..

'Among all my training and learning i found one attack to be the most effective... i have used it in demionstartions with other knife fighting masters and always stab the person *fake knives of course*. and this was the Prison Yard Rush.. just a simple unexpected tackle and stab and it is for the most part undefendable'

keeping things like this in mind.. the only problem is when you are on the receving end of this.. but we all should accept the fact that if the person really had the intent to kill us. we wouldent know it *except for maybie law efforcement or the like where they are going into a 'Hot' Area*.. and thinking about that i know personally if i really had the intent to kill someone they would not have any forwarning about it... in all honesty the best defence is not nessarlly a good offence but a good watchful eye..

and we never bring a knive to a knive fight.. we bring a knive to a fist fight, a bat to a knive fight, a gun to a bat fight and so on...the whole point of weapon is to have an advantage over your oponint..

Just me thoughts
Jess

Spyderco Delica serrated. I bought mine at Fred Meyers in Fairbanks AK for the token sum of $17+ about 8 years ago. I originally never used it for anything else - to keep the blade sharp as new. But once or twice had nothing else to use for a chore and have been trying to wear it out ever since. I have not resharpened it and still going strong.

One I would like to get is the Al Mar SERE 2000, but I shall have to wear out that Spyderco first.

I don't understand how that Emerson Commander can be opened so fast - looks like an auto-knife....
It appears to have a hook on the back of the blade. So when you draw, you drag it against your pocket and it gets pulled open as you pull it out. I'm not that impressed with it really as an opening mech if i'm seeing correctly

Lawyer Daggit said:
There have been problems- particularly at night spots in Sydney of people having a few to drink, becoming beligerent and knifing someone.
Maybe y'all should ban alcohol and night clubs. They sound dangerous.

I like my little cheap Buck Lite folder.......darn thing went through a lot of calenders, deer hides, cardboard, rope, and foreign countries. I think it has about a 2 and 3/4" blade. I bet it has seen the fix- :D it stone a good dozen times. When I finish making a deer into table fare I boil it for about 5 minutes and wipe it off..... I think Buck is almost all import now? Got mine for under $20.00 back in 85.

I should say a few other knives I like are products built by Marbles Outdoors - of Gladstone, MI and a company called Bark River Knives make some nice tools too. These tend to be more of a hunting - camping type of line up but some darn nice knives.... made in the USA.

Blind Tree Frog
Any reason a diving knife would be a bad choice?

I rather like the Benchmade BM100SH2O dive, rafting and rescue knife. Of course their 140 Nimravus is very tough too.

I don't understand how that Emerson Commander can be opened so fast - looks like an auto-knife....

I can open any of my non-spirng assist kershaws as fast as any automatic.......... *shrugs* its all the action of the knife and practice.

Just got this one....

from Cops Plus

Site has the best prices I've seen on lots of stuff.

This ones $41.25.

Attachments

• Cold Steel 58LC Night Force.jpg
    Cold Steel 58LC Night Force.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 46
My self-defense weapon of first choice is a Glock 21; I do usually carry a folding knife, a Benchmade Stryker 905 to stay within my state's legal limit for concealed knives.

I think a knife intended for defensive purposes should be fixed-blade. You may not have time to open a folding knife. In many states, including mine, balisongs and auto-opening knives are equally illegal. If blade-length is not a legal consideration, the Benchmade model 141 Nimravus Tanto would be my choice. I may get one anyway, to keep at home as an art object.

I think pocket knives are a good thing to have/carry. I've owned and carried Spyderco's. I've lost all of them, about five. In a pinch, if properly motivated, you can at least cause severe damage to an attacker, he ain't gonna get away free.

Couple more thoughts on carry knives.

1. Carry two knives. Carry a small utility knife like a Case or a baby Swiss Army for everyday cutting needs. The small SA is wonderfully versatile as it has a knife, screwdriver, scissors etc. This will reduce wear to the blade of your defensive knife.

2. Keep all your knives sharp. Everyone's heard that a dull knife is dangerous. Buy a good sharpening stone and use it regularly.

U.F.O.

Back