Good Ole 35 rem.

Are there any other lever guns in .35 Rem besides the 336? I love them more than enough, but I'd love to have a little lighter 35 lever gun with a straight grip stock.

I have an early 70's marlin 336 .35rem. I am the 3rd generation to own it. My Grandpa won it in a raffle at the local fire dept, hunted a couple years with it and gave it to my dad at age 15, and when I was 12 or so dad decided it was my turn. there has been alot of venison made with that rifle over the years, and it still shoots like a champ. smooth actions and micro-groove barrels definitely helped the 336 earn their reputation IMO. Hornady LEVERevolution 200gr is all I will shoot through mine. Switched to them after a box full of misfiring core lokts. Flatter shooting, tighter groups, and devastation on a deer shoulder. I would put it up against any of my bolt action guns out to about 125yds.

It has been so nice to see some love for the old .35 cal as well as the Marlin 336. My son will be home this year for Christmas with my new ( First ) grandson he will be moving to Alaska. I think it's time to pass it down, I know he will take care of it an pass it on to his son ( the 4th gen. ) I will post pics as soon as I can.

I regret the day I passed on a very clean Remington 760 pump chambered for the .35 Remington round. To add insult to injury, the fellow that did buy it converted it to .35 Whelen.

Oh well, there is some justice in the world. I saw him after his first range session with the re-chambered rifle and he had a mean looking ocular shaped cut above his right eyebrow.

Great story Jevyod, lots of memories there, my friend.

I really like my 336 in .35 Remington. With handloads and either Hornady's 200 gr Rn or the 200 gr Leverevolution bullet I get 2" groups at 100 with a 2.5 scope off the porch rail. Recoil is ok and it's a deer killer with either bullet. The Remington 200 gr Core lok is has better expansion at factory velocities, but doesn't group (3 shots) as well as the other ones. Here's a pic, with a Leupold 2.5x Alaskan scope mounted...a nice trim rig. Regards, Rodfac

P3231173_zpsf258f04a.jpg

pumps

The standby for lots of folks in the east was the Remington pumps, the 14 and 141. The caliber to have one in was .35 Rem. Even the new 760 and its bretheren have seen a few runs in .35 Rem.

OH....MY....SWEET....CLEMENTINE..:eek:..Drool bucket quick!:cool: Pretty Marlin you got there Mohead, nice wood.

I plan on making one of these little gems in .35rem this spring for next years season.
JXQd9.jpg

I hope the creator of this fine rifle does not mind me gracing this thread with his beautiful rifle....you sir are a genius, this picture almost brings a tear to my eye.

Last edited:
I bought a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington as my first centerfire rifle, in 1974. A year later I mounted a Bushnell 2.5X scope on it. That scope has lived on that rifle ever since and has accounted for its share of deer, hogs, tin cans, milk jugs, and all manner of paper targets. It's a great rifle, and my eldest son drooled over it, so I let him borrow it. It lives at his house now and his sons shoot it from time to time.

The .35 Remington kills like the hammers of hell, and I've worked up a nice handload for it using IMR 4895 and Remington 200 grain Core-Lokt bullets. It's a great cartridge in a great rifle.

Thanks

Thank you Berdan SS. You have a fine rifle yourself, as well as all the other posts on this thread. Marlin had to put on a new barrel and some inside parts but the rest is original equipment.The only thing that I didn't lik was that it was a RC and they had to put on a C barrel.The RC was 48 to 68 ( I think ) the C was from 69 to 83 ( I think ) this is a 1964 mod. I asked them to put the recoil pad on I think it looks nice as well as helps to tame the .35 on the back end.

Back