good IDPA pistol

Rual, you know there is no such thing as a fully supported chamber.:) Some have more support than others. The old Auto Mag, with it's rotating bolt, was the only handgun with a fully supported chamber.

Please don't confuse me with one of these experts, but I say accuracy and feel are more important.

Reliability is by far the most important characteristic of a handgun, so if it demonstrates unreliability, it's out the door. Forget sending to the shop to get it tweaked, shaved, polished or whatever. There are way too many guns on the market, probably at a lower price than you paid, that work flawlessly out of the box. Also, if you pay $500-1000+ for a pistol, it should function flawlessly. If it doesn't, and you have to send it to the factory or the gunsmith, you got screwed!!!

At this point, accuracy and feel don't play a role.

Once you're satisfied that your gun is reliable, you can focus on the other two must haves...accuracy and feel.

Link

"There are way too many guns on the market, probably at a lower price than you paid, that work flawlessly out of the box. Also, if you pay $500-1000+ for a pistol, it should function flawlessly. If it doesn't, and you have to send it to the factory or the gunsmith, you got screwed!!!"

Uh? You are kidding right? Sending a gun to a gunsmith for a trigger job, or different sights is hardly uncommon. Gun manufacturers offer lifetime warranties for a reason, all things mechanical don't always work as they should, when they don't you need to get them fixed.

In IDPA all your handgun has to do is hit an 8" circle at 25 yards max, most targets being considerably closer, not exactly bench rest shooting. On the other hand reliability is , as others have posted, paramount as clearing a jam takes time and time is the test in either IPSC or IDPA.

Take Care

Bob

Lamagra,

to answer the original question: If you already have a handgun, with several (I have at least 5 spares for each that I use) extra speedloaders or magazines and a good holster, use it.

If you already have a gun, but not the spare reloads or holster, get what you need to fill out the local requirements would be the cheapest way to go.

If you're looking for input because you don't already have something you can use, then the field is wide open and you can pay attention to all the previous posts advocating one brand over another. Find what works well for you.

Back