Good Hunting Handguns

Handgun hunting is very much like bowhunting. Hunt smart, and get as close a shot as possible. Take carefull, aimed shots only, and don't try to over extend the capabilities of the caliber you are using.
Very well said, Cheap, and I would add that twice distance most bow hunters limits, i.e. about 50 yds +- for traditional hand guns, not Contenders firing rifle cartridges & scope mounted, as part of the limitation is due to energy levels as well as accuracy.

DA or SA, take only the shots that you are 100% sure are going to do the animal justice. My own criteria, is all six shots from a good iron sighted revolver on a 6" paper pie plate. With the possible exception of the 10mm or one of the .44 Magnum auto-loaders, for me, that means a revolver. The ability to carry 10-15 rounds in a magazine should not be one of the criteria for a good hunting handgun.

YMMV, Rod

If I wanted to hunt with a handgun today - it would be a Freedom Arms SA in .475 Linebaugh. ....and probably in an octagonal barrel in a 7 1/2"......large frame mod 83...../ great guns, heavy - but very accurate !

Last edited:
Ruger Toklat .454. Short enough with its 5 inch barrel to be handy but powerful enough to take just about anything.

Deaf

I've been a handgun hunter for many years now, with my primary choice being a scoped Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I love this gun and it's probably my most favorite gun to shoot.

I also carry a non-scoped Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum as back up for when I'm hunting with a rifle (very rare these days) or as primary when the hunting will be pretty close 50-75 yards.

Other options for when I'm hunting with a rifle would be either my Blackhawk or GP100 in .357 Magnum.

The last few years, I've returned to the T/C Contenders.

I agree that if you are thinking of a hunting handgun, it should be 41 magnum or larger in caliber/power. I don't feel you need a 44 mag revolver as a backup if you are hunting with a rifle which are usually much more powerful. The only place I would consider such a backup is in Alaska or similar where you might be dealing with large bears. It would probably have a 3 or 4" barrel.

Nothing wrong with the SRH or RH in the Ruger lineup. I much prefer something else.

When I handgun hunt for deer, I use a 480 Ruger SRH or a BFR (single action) in 480/475. You should only need one shot and you can certainly use the hammer for a quick second shot if you have to. Like me, I had a bias toward double action revolvers until I got the BFR. I don't carry a rifle if I am handgun hunting. It's part of the sport, because when that big buck wanders up to your stand.... and you have a choice, you won't choose the handgun. Hence, if you are handgun hunting, use the handgun as the primary gun and leave the rifle at home.

Last edited:
Anyway, I had some problems with my Ruger Redhawk. After about 500 rounds the chamber wouldn't close because the ejection rod was not seating properly. I took it to the gunsmith and had a $100 repair job done. Supposedly the problem was quite complicated and the smith had to build a tool to properly perform the repair. I got the gun around Christmas, actually I got it a little bit after Christmas as guns can be hard to get around Christmas if you're not at the front of the line. I just hope I didn't get a lemon of a gun. Ruger Redhawks are supposed to be very reliable and supposedly your grandchild will be putting it in his will but there are exceptions.

I'm just wondering why you didn't send this back to Ruger under warranty.

I started handgun hunting with a traditional Redhawk in the 80's. It still serves me well. The only advantage in the Super Redhawk is scope mounting. Personally, the looks of the standard Redhawk are more appealing to me.

As a hunting gun, to be USED AS a hunting gun nothing is more durable, or will take more abuse and still function reliably. As a hunting weapon, I prefer the long barrel, 7 1/2".

While the 44 performed admirably, before my 2nd Alaskan hunt in 1990, I decided that I wanted something to install a little more confidence, and have stuck with as I prefer the the quicker and more devastating effects, and have never looked back, but still enjoy shooting the 44 magnum, and with todays choice in bullets would have a lot more confidence in it than I did back then.

I have around a dozen or so Ruger guns, SA, autos and rifles, no DA, and I wouldn't take any of them to a gunsmith as long as Ruger is in business.

Your choice, of course, and already a done deal, but if you ever have trouble with a Ruger again, consider that Ruger probably won't have too much trouble identifying the problem, and I doubt they would be charging you for making a special tool to fix it. I would at least call Ruger about any problem, before going elsewhere.

The usual 240gr load .44 Magnum will generally shoot completely through most whitetail deer. I've never seen a need for more than that, you might feel differently.

I'm just wondering why you didn't send this back to Ruger under warranty.

That would've taken about five weeks. By taking it to the gunsmith on site I was able to get the gun back, repaired and all, on the same day.

This .454 SRH is much smaller and lighter than the S&W 500.

454SRH-1.jpg

I've carried it and hunted with it over 10 years. I've taken mulies, hogs and other big game. I'm waiting to bag elk with it. I can load flat lower power loads for smaller game and punch nice neat little holes in them.

Full house loads can get real lively to light off.

My big game revolvers are a 6 1/2" .41 Mag Blackhawk, and a 5 1/2" .45/.45 convertible Blackhawk.

My uncle has hunted with a scoped 7 1/2" Super Redhawk .44 Mag. Nice gun, very accurate, but for the size and weight, I'd rather carry a rifle.

Back