Good farm rifle?

If you're looking for one rifle to do it all (farm protection and hunting all over N. America) then I would go with something chambered in .308.

They are rattly and cheap.

Fixed it for ya.

If you're looking for one rifle to do it all (farm protection and hunting all over N. America) then I would go with something chambered in .308.

Yep, .308 will kill anything that walks the lower 48 but there's abig difference between doing the job and doing the job well. Now not any one gun or cartridge does every thing great but .308s and their ilk are more gun than anyone needs and most would want for everyday duty.

Zachary H, I bet you are more confused about what you want to buy before you started this thread, but I still say look for a good used Marlin 336 in 30 30 cause that's what I'm looking for. A very versatile rifle/caliber.

The ultimate farm rifle is a .243 Savage 99 box magazine with a 2x7 Leupold. But good luck finding one. After that, any decent bolt rifle in a mid caliber with a good scope on it will fill the bill. I personally like Ruger firearms.

Personally I suggest a good bolt gun in .308 and a good .22. Covers all the bases and allows more practice time around the farm or ranch with the .22. The .22 works around my place and the coyotes, feral dogs and other varmints don't know what hit them. The .308 has worked for me on deer, elk, antelope, a bear and two moose. Great all around cartridge.

Hi Zack,

I use my Mosin for danged near everything. Coyotes here in Indiana, hogs when they make it up this way, and if I go out-of-state I'll use it, my bow, or my sidelock muzzleloader for everything else.

If you're around north-central Indiana, I'd be glad to let you shoot it and see what you think. It looks mostly milsurp but is modified for precision and handling.

Regards,

Josh

Ruger Scout .308 or Mini 30 would fit the bill.

I consider .223 a bit light for deer, but otherwise a Mini 14 would take care of the other tasks.

Yes the Winchester model 88 would be a good one, you also might want to consider a Savage 99, if you want a lever gun.
The Savage 99 is one of the most natural pointing and best swinging rifles I've ever owned.
One in the 300 Savage caliber should work real well for you, it's a little less then the 308 ballistics wise but still one heck of a round. .

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back