Good contact with LEOs and a Shameless waste averted

Doyle

Only after death in Indiana (or at least in Indiana countys of Morgan, Johnson and Hendricks) My apologies...it's an earful:D, just giving the full detail as the MCSD told me.

No tag involved. You are REQUIRED to contact the governing authority law enforcement agency. I'm guessing if it was in a township instead of out in the sticks someplace, you would contact the town police? For example: if you were still in Morgan county, but inside Brown township...you would call the Mooresville PD)

You must then go to their office to pick up a printed permit to posses, and or transport a game animal in the situation of: out of season, without a proper tag, wrong sex. There is no charge for the permit, just some paperwork, a copy of you drivers license and 10-30 minuets or so of your time. It will have a description of how the animal died: DOA, alive on arrival and had to be shot, alive on arrival and died from injury/other.

After all that you may then go retrieve the animal, no pre tagging to lay claim to it. Although if possible it would be wise to leave someone in the area the animal is located, to inform others that may try to stop and take it that you are in the process of doing so legally....and to leave it alone. The permit is kept on your person, no physical tag goes on the animal itself. From what I was told, you shouldn't even touch or examine the deer until you have contacted the correct LEA.

And it is absolutely illegal to do the following in Indiana (or at least in the countys I listed) without expressed permission from a LEA with jurisdictional authority.

Remove a struck/killed Deer from where it is laying (other than moving it from the road/shoulder to prevent further accidents) or any parts including antlers, even if they were broken off in the accident.

Shoot an injured animal with the intent to remove it, or any portion of it for personal gain without the proper permit.

In our county individual officers do not, in any way have the ability to print "tags", issue NTGPs (no tag game permits as they called it) from their patrol Vehicle. The permits are 24hour, dated, and specific to the animal reported and the approximate area they are located. An individual officer also does NOT have the legal authority to tell you "ahh, let me shoot it and you can just have it" While you can do that if the officer is okay with it, but your taking a risk of getting pulled over five miles down the road with an illegitimate animal that will obviously of been shot. You MUST go get the permit to make possession legit.

He didn't head shoot her either, 5.56 through the lungs point blank. Made a mess in the chest cavity.

Also, My buddy grilled me a burger for lunch this afternoon, as thanks for getting him the deer and helping process it. It was better than anything you'll get at Hardee's ;)

Last edited:
FrankenMauser
I guess you mean Utah?
I did see a nice rack on the other side of the road from a smashed in Honda car there last year.
'The law' was on scene. So I didn't know about the law or local etiquette on getting the nice rack, plus I was on my motorcycle, so how could I carry a 10 point rack? (Tied to the front bars, maybe).
The year before I had one extremely close call with 3 deer in a row near Koosharam, and last year a friend of mine ruined his motorcycle splitting one in half near there.
In Mexico I came across a girl who ruined her car smashing two large cows (one with big horns?). That was just after I saw a dead horse by the side of the road.
And some others, just in the last year.
We were at the gun range in Bicknell last year; two elk hunters were target practicing. They didn't get an elk last season, but they did get a deer on their way to the range; with their truck.
dc

I guess you mean Utah?
I did see a nice rack on the other side of the road from a smashed in Honda car there last year.
'The law' was on scene. So I didn't know about the law or local etiquette on getting the nice rack, plus I was on my motorcycle, so how could I carry a 10 point rack? (Tied to the front bars, maybe).
Yea.
Passing that cop was a good idea. Possessing antlers in Utah requires one of two things: 1. The tag/permit from the original kill. Or, 2. A bur at the base, indicating it was a naturally-shed antler.
Anything attached to a skull plate, without the original permit, is considered prima facie evidence of poaching. Any antler detached from a skull plate, without a natural bur, falls into the same category.

Yup like FrankenMauser I live in Northern Mormonville (Idaho) and we have similar rules, no salvaging game animals. And according the the fish and game, you are indeed guilty unless by some miracle you are able to prove your self innocent in a court of law.

If you dont like the laws, please petition your legislators to change them. It is not the Law enforcement officers fault the laws are on the books. Many times officers catch flack from the public for issues that the person should be complaining to their elected representatives about. The game wardens probably think the laws about not collecting road kill are as stupid as you and I think they are. Law enforcement officers have to do what the law says and not what they personally believe. A good officer tempers his decision making with common sense, but he can not stray too far away from the written code no matter how much common sense he wishes to inject into the situation. Take the time to write a letter to your state representatives. Pick up the phone and call their offices.

+1 reynolds357

As you said, there are many laws, especially some old ones, both pertaining to wildlife as well as laws in general that the only reason they are on the books is nobody has ever bothered contesting them. LE thinks they are stupid and should be changed, so do citizens. But regardless, they are the law and a LEO must enforce them. And yes, many times a LEO does not enforce things as harshly as they could.

I don't know the populace on welfare in Iowa(or other states with such ridiculous laws) but here in Ohio, there are less fortunate families that would love to receive the extra meat from a roadkill deer. There are also food pantries around the state that will take processed deer as well for the needy.

For those wanting the laws changed in Iowa, this could be a very convincing point of interest in getting things changed when talking to your Representatives. Too, even more of your tax dollars can be saved due to the fact that a gub'ment worker is not being sent out to dispose of the carcass. And yes, there is usually a dumping fee charged to the Twp.,county,city or state by the landfill for the dumping of the carcass as well...more of your tax dollars saved.

Last edited:
We had a guy poach an elk on the ranch I worked at in high school. River cut through the ranch and boaters called it in. After the DFG cop arrested the guy, he asked the ranch owner if he wanted to keep the elk so it din't go to waste. It wokred out great for everybody, and it was certainly better than calling in more folks to transport and bury the elk offsite.

Back