Good budget red laser?

U get what you pay for

I have an Aimpoint laser mounted on the bottom of my grip on my Smith 624. It handles the recoil fine. I payed more then $300 for mine 15 plus years ago.

I tried one of those Lazer Aim trigger guard types ten years ago......forget it they will not stay in place.

Got it today. Sighted and ready to go. :)

I sighted it where it's lower than the impact point at 12 yards. Should be right on at 25 yards.

Went to the range today and it won't hold zero but drifts to the right. What a bummer. I sent an Email to OptisPlanet about it.

Got mine yesterday. Mounted and ready to try. Still trying to determine best location for the switch. Was very impressed with the overall appearance. Green is sure a lot easier for old eyes to see than red! Going to use our red laser bore sight to align the green one. gunslinger The one we bought is like the first one suggested and pictured. It was 30 bucks plus change.

Last edited:
Just for the record, as you can see by my pic on post #3, I'm not using the pressure switch... Seems not as good quality as the laser itself and is dissed by some of the Amazon.com posters... I never bothered even trying it.

Thanks! I didn't realize the push button was press on/press off. lol Solved my switch location problem. I can't imagine a tactical situation where this won't work for us..... gunslinger

Got an Email from OpticsPlanet saying that it's not normal behavior of said laser and posted a link for RMA. I went to do the procedure and I needed a printer to print the form.

I don't have a printer and sent back an Email saying so. Duh. We'll see what happens next.

I must say it's a pretty good company to deal with.

UPDATE: Got a response, they suggested that I return it under my cost and they'll try to refund my shipping cost or part of it. I told them I'll just keep it.

Last edited:
Looks like my problem was worse. The laser unscrewed and fell in. Also found a loose spring. I tried to fix it by unscrewing the head off but it won't come off.

Guess I'm stuck with it as I have tool marks on it. This model had very good reviews and I get the poorly assembled one. Oh well, it's a toy now LOL.

At least I got a nice barrel mount. :)

EDIT: Fixed it! Took me a while but I got it. Working good but not so adjustable as I had it blocked but I got it where I want. :)

Last edited:
Hope we have better luck with the brand we bought! It came with both Picatinny and barrel mounts and actually has a more quality look. gunslinger

I worked on my laser again making it more solid but not adjustable though. I drilled out the dimple that the plate tether on and made it go flat on the body with the adjustment screws tightened. It made the laser more or less parallel with the bore. Works pretty good that way.

Then again I had to resolder the PC board back on the laser. The PC board was crooked and the pressure of the spring (for the battery) made it pop off. I hot glued the board back on and resoldered the contacts. It sure was poorly assembled at the plant.

I'm gonna order the laser that CWK posted though.

Back