Going to Canada from New York State

Uncle Billy

I live near the border between Canada and the US so the local newspaper often has entries in the daily police reports that tell of events involving the police at the border. Our local police department is the one called by our Homeland Security agents that man the entry points if someone crossing into the US or returning from Canada having been refused entry there has legal difficulties.

The latest incident involved someone from Florida being refused entry into Canada because he had a couple of handguns and a rifle. Having been turned back by Canadian Customs at the border because of this, he was checked out more completely at US customs. Since he had handguns unlicensed in New York he was charged with third degree criminal possession of a weapon (a felony since he had been arrested before for a crime, no matter what it was) and having an invalid license plate.

The point is, don't try to enter Canada with a gun unless your possession of it fits these rules:

Royal Canadian Mounted Police: "Firearm Users Visiting Canada"

Also, don't try to enter Canada if you have a conviction for DUI or anything similar; that will get you denied entry as well.

It's also prudent to remember that New York isn't very tolerant of guns- our CCW license takes 6 months and an investigation by the Feds, the State police and local law enforcement, references, etc, etc. and is only granted to NYS residents. If you're coming to or going through New York, better read and comply with what's here:

New York State Rifle and Pistol Assoc.: "New York Gun Laws"

Reentering the US, whether simply returning after a trip in Canada or having been turned back by Canadian Customs puts everyone in the hands of Homeland Security, who have the means and the intent to find out all there is to know about you. At least you'll need a passport. If you have any outstanding warrants or anything else like that, you'll be turned over to the appropriate police agency- local police, FBI, State police. If the reason you got turned back by the Canadians has anything to do with guns, the laws of New York get applied if you're at a border crossing in NY, and that can get real serious real fast no matter how innocent you are of any REAL crime.

Just a word to the wise.

Indeed.

A friend of mine used to go hunting in Canada every year. Shortly after 9/11, he was refused entry with a firearm because of a DWI/DUI (or some such thing) from the 1960s, if I recall correctly. He had been making the trip annually for like 20 years prior. I'll have to ask him about the exact details.

I have no sympathy for idiots that dont know the law, or who intentionally try to break it.

Anyone with 1/2 of a brain knows that NYS and Canada are not friendly territory for firearms. And anyone with 1/10 of a brain knows that crossing international borders with firearms takes extra caution as to licenses/permits, imports and declarations of items.

I learned by the age of 5yo and being raised in PA, that you do not take guns to NYS or Canada. And that was in the 1970's, long before this terrorism crap and long before Canada really got strict about guns.

A friend of mine used to go hunting in Canada every year. Shortly after 9/11, he was refused entry with a firearm because of a DWI/DUI (or some such thing) from the 1960s,

Actually the firearm would have nothing to do with his being refused entry into Canada in the above example. Anyone with a DUI, tourist or business travler, is actually barred from entering Canada even if you aren't driving on your trip.

Long story short: I have an employee with a 20+ year old DUI who regularly made trips into Canada for us. On one of his trips, he was pulled into Customs where a background check was ran on him. They saw the DUI and told him it was illegal for him to be in their country and was told he had 20 minutes to leave Canada or be arrested, it was his choice. He left.

In order to legally enter Canada again, he is jumping through all kinds of hoops, all of which cost money. He's been working on this for the last 6 months.

I'm still amazed at this but it is their law.

Anyone with a DUI, tourist or business travler, is actually barred from entering Canada even if you aren't driving on your trip.

No kidding. Talk about your stupid laws, especially considering how many times he had made the trip previously.

Canada can be tough on any violation & deny access. I know someone who was behind on child support payments & was denied access.

Also, too often a DUI is expunged from your driving record, but the arrest is not & shows up on NCIC when a check is made. A friend went on an Alaska cruise that started in LA & ended in Vancouver BC. He was chosen for a detailed Custom's Inspection and there was an old DUI arrest on the record & he had a interesting time getting off the ship.

Holy crap! DUI's will bar you from entering Canada?!

Thanks for the news!! I now have ammo to use on the old lady to get her to take a trip somewhere in the USofA instead of going to Niagara Falls/Toronto, Ontario.

This has to be the first time I'm glad of having had a my DUI years ago. lol

They might have been defendable if they were on their way to Alaska, somewhere they could legally possess the guns . . . even though illegal in Canada. hmm . . .

No kidding. Talk about your stupid laws, especially considering how many times he had made the trip previously.

Same way with my guy. He actually knew a lot of the agents in Customs on a first name basis and traveled across the border around 3 times a week. Just a random full background check and the cat was out of the bag. We had no idea.

Wait:
He's from Florida , in New York and trying to enter Canada in posession of guns??

Calling Mr. Darwin.

Technically, if it's legal to enter Canada with handguns (of which I am not sure) then he did nothing illegal. He is allowed by federal law to travel through all fifty states with the handguns properly locked away.

I have a story about an incident that happened to me a couple months ago while acrossing over from NY to Canada. I live along the St. Lawrence river right next to Canada so crossing the border is no big deal; in fact, the plant I work at is right next to the International bridge. One day, I decided to make a quick trip over to visit an engineering firm that was doing work for us when I realized as I was leaving the American side that I had a handgun in the car. I have a clean record and have a CCW permit with NY so up till this point I hadn't done anything wrong. A friend told me before that one time he had forgotten about his pistol in his car when going to Canada and said they were cool on the Canadian side and he just had to surrender it at the border and pick it up on the way back to the US. Well I didn't want to take any chances so I turned my car around. Not thinking it would be any big deal getting back into the U.S. and also feeling that being completely honest was the best thing to do, I told the Custom's agent what had happened. Well he tells me to keep my hands on the wheel and calls for a backup agent. Someone comes out and takes my picture while I was in the car, then they have me pull over, they search my car, have me clear my handgun then they check my serial number against my CCW permit. During all of this, although it perturbed me (apparently you can't say p***ed), I didn't say a thing; I was completely cooperative and even was apologetic to the agents. Now I can see the Canadians having this kind of reaction, but it usually isn't the Canadians that are the problem, it's usually our own side that gives you the biggest hassle.

It's sad a person makes mistake pays debt to sociteyand is banned from Canada, but they welcome draft dodgers deserters and other lowlifes with open arms as long as your anti American. The crazies are running the farm. We're not far behind.

You will note, of course, that Canadians who have DUIs are ALSO banned from entering the US, and because the two countries share their records-check system, it cuts both ways.

A "no entry allowed" status can be appealed, but it's complicated and expensive, and takes a lot of time. It doesn't disappear by itself, it's forever unless you ask- the Canadians have to grant you a change in your status, so you have to apply.

A "no entry allowed" status can be appealed, but it's complicated and expensive, and takes a lot of time. It doesn't disappear by itself, it's forever unless you ask- the Canadians have to grant you a change in your status, so you have to apply.

You also forgot to add "Extremely painful" as well.

Technically, if it's legal to enter Canada with handguns (of which I am not sure) then he did nothing illegal. He is allowed by federal law to travel through all fifty states with the handguns properly locked away.

First off it's completely illegal to enter Canada with guns. Same for Mexico.
The Federal Law grants immunity to traveling with guns only IF you're allowed to posess the guns at both ends of your trip.

There was no way he was legal in NY. So technically he could have been busted anyplace on I-95 in any State.

Learn the rules if you're doing stuff.

AFS

First off it's completely illegal to enter Canada with guns. Same for Mexico.

No, it's not. A nonresident may cross the border with "unrestricted" firearms, basically rifles and shotguns. All that is needed is to complete a form and pay a fee.

Handguns must be pre-approved for import, but traveling through New York with the handguns would be legal under federal law so long as New York is not the final destination. The guy was turned around at the border but New York was still not his final destination so it should, technically, still not be illegal. Some particular LEO may be having a bad life and be an idiot about it but that doesn't make it illegal.

For the details:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

Now, you're right about knowing the rules. The guy should have known that handguns require prior approval and, even then, only long barreled hunting handguns are allowed and he should have known that he had to stop at US customs to file form 4457. So, I have no sympathy for him in particular, but that doesn't change the fact that if the handguns were legal in Florida and he had them properly locked away as specified by federal law then he really did nothing illegal.

Back