Going Deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do something like that, either unintenionally or , uh, otherwise, you can go to the doctor and they can prescribe steroids to assist the healing of your inner ear.

I did something like that, and everone sounded like charlie browns teacher...

Iv'e had quite a bit of hearing loss over the years. Best thing I've purchased is a set of electronic muffs, that allow you to hear low frequency sounds like conversation but filter out the damaging levels.
I wear them at home, so when my wife brings out the "to do" list, I just turn down the volume.

Most often combat deafness is exacerbated with age. You get the damage and perhaps lose some hearing, but later in life it really catches up.

I continually thank God for the fact that I paid attention to warnings about hearing damage when I was a kid. This was back in the '60s, during the advent of the "louder is better" amplified rock music. I have always been a "peace and quiet" kind of guy, and am blessed to have maintained my hearing.

It is gratifying when our music at church (contemporary) hurts my ears. I take that to mean that my ears are still healthy and sensitive. I just step out into the lobby when it becomes uncomfortable.

At the indoor range where I normally shoot, I double up with plugs and muffs. Recently, I forgot to insert the plugs, and shots with muff only were uncomfortable. Another good sign! Of course, I quickly stepped out of the range area.

auditory exclusion

auditory exclusion: If you are in sever danger, your hearing protects itsself. If you are surprise by fire, like on a hunt, that hurts your hearing.

re hearing loss in warzones

I went into the USAF in 70.

Between 70 - 71, my assigned base was the first to get the massive C-5 Galaxys. Little did we know, that having the new 'erector set' loading ramps located near the warehouse facilities, would create such a noise level. You figure, four large jet engines at idle, whining away, while the plane was unloaded/loaded, and then as it moved from tarmac to runway, we were in the line of sight of the back of the engines.

Between 71 -74, I was assigned to a land-based B-52 base in SouthEast Asia. (this was before Diego Garcia was finished.) Not only were there my regular assigned duties, as running aircraft parts to all the maintenance areas across the base, but also times where I was issued a Model 15 and a radio, and placed at the perimeter. Sometimes that was more exciting than going to the off-limits bars, downtown! Off-duty, there was always a competition between attempting to hear the movie at the outdoor theater, and the B-52's as they took off from the end of the runway 150 yards distance.

Last and foremost, between 76 - 80, running a radar maintenance shack for 80 Aircraft, with the appropriate screaming mini-jet engine-powerplant for the test equipment and aircraft just yards away.

Now ... there is the usual tinnitus reminder, a hearing loss - bass one ear, tenor the other, and most car noises go unheard, as do whispers from the voice that you wish you could hear the whispers! Hearing aids bring all the noise to life, too much for my liking, but they still don't work with a smartphone! Sounds like the phone melting after a nuclear attack in the movie FailSafe.

This is a very old thread and we have a more recent one on hearing loss. So if the recent poster wants to continue that one, it can be found with a search.

So closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back