Going deaf from .357 Mag indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pritchard & Hiker, et. al,
All of "our" forces use hearing protection when prudent, including for LFX, which is most of the time. It is not used ONLY when the carefully assessed risk of NOT hearing result in foreseeable consequences that far outweigh the risk of future hearing loss. Not wearing hearing protection in the vicinity of howitzer blasts and MLRS launches, tank fire, Phalanx, Ma-Duece, AT-4 and any high-pressure wave source impacts adversely on hearing. Suppressed weapons and other "silent" weapons aside, the only individual/crew weapons that I'm aware of that may be fired without fear of immediate potential for tinnitus are the 40mm grenade systems, due to the low-pressure propulsive force.

(addendum: hearing loss and back injury are the top two service connected injuries - DVA)
------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited August 25, 1999).]

Another point here that has been mentioned and passed over is the ability of the electronic hearing protections to increase your ability to hear, either through turning up the volume or if time permits by allowing you a tactical edge of retaining your hearing while your opponent loses his...fubsy.

Prichard,
Yes, USN SBU's from 87' to 93'. Also have many buddies who are still in and nothing has changed.

I think some has missed the entire point of this, instead taking the PC stance of saying "always wear hearing protection". Yes you need to wear hearing protection when working on "technique" but if you are someone who is going to be in a real life fire fight with real people shooting at you you have to be exposed to live fire on occasion because PEOPLE DON'T SHOOT AS WELL WITH LOTS OF LIVE FIRE GOING ON AROUND THEM, especially if they have never been exposed to it. Is that hard to believe?

So if you own a CCW intended to defend yourself, protect your family, etc. and you actually ever have to use it wouldn't you think you would be more prepared if you had been exposed to the actual environment in which your going to have to use it? I'm not saying go shoot 100's of rounds every week. I'm saying just a few rounds a year or so.

It all depends on how prepared you want to be.
Hiker

Well it is your hearing not mine, so have at it. Though I seriously doubt that you would ever notice the loud bangs when tshtf. I already have tinnitus from exposure to loud noises (probably from venting of high pressure lines and vessels w/out hp) so maybe I am sensitive on this subject :o. I still doubt that a few rounds w/out hp will get you 'used to' the noise and that more than a few rds w/out is not a wise thing to do. Also isn't the no hp thing like old fashioned PC ;)?

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited August 26, 1999).]

Prichard,
WTSHTF you definitely notice the loud noises ESPECIALLY when the encounter last more than just a few seconds.

Edited a 'testy' post to end an ongoing argument where I won't change my mind on any facets.

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited August 26, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back