GOA Denounces "Lawless" DC City Council

SEC. 601. [D.C. Code 1-206] Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, the Congress of the United States reserves the right, at any time, to exercise its constitutional authority as legislature for the District, by enacting legislation for the District on any subject, whether within or without the scope of legislative power granted to the Council by this Act, including legislation to amend or repeal any law in force in the District prior to or after enactment of this Act and any act passed by the Council.

Funny how actually reading the act shows Congress can do what it want...

Credit to Hugh:D

I'm sure I'll say this many more times in future posts, but it cannot be repeated too much:

Imagine if even 50% of all America's gun owners wrote their reps, and also wrote other offices, such as DC's city councel, in this case. We would flood every office at every necessary oportunity with calls, faxes, emails, and letters. If you think this would do nothing (or is too much trouble), then at least donate to the NRA-ILA regularly to support the cause, but I prefer to do both since I want to keep my guns and don't just want to HOPE that no one will take them away.

The GOA reminds me of the scrawny pip-sqweak that runs up to the big guy who just got knocked out and starts taunting while he's out cold. This is no different. All the heavy lifting has been done and its the GOA to the rescue.

Its a joke of an organization lead by an incompetent. Nothing more.

GOA doesn't do much, they release news releases. If things worked fairly that might actually work. Rather naive, but they are assuming they can do the same thing the anti's do and get the ear of the MSM.

Problem is, the media have made it clear they are not interested in both sides of the issue, so they will take whatever so called news release the Brady bunch comes up with, and take it as gospel. Meanwhile the MSM ignores GOA as usual.

HKuser says:

Congress has limited and directed DC's government many times. The District's budget is subject annually to Congressional approval. If Congress doesn't like something in the budget, such as expending funds for enforcement of an unconstitutional law, they simply prohibit it. There is simply no basis in fact for your objections.

Out of curiosity, where do you get your information? I notice that you live in PA. Have you ever lived in DC? I have. And my job at the time was such that it gave me considerable familiarity with how the DC government works. I'm not just basing my opinions on something I read on Wikipedia five minutes ago.

And there is no line-item budgeting in regards to DC's appropriation. Congress either says yes or no on the whole thing. They don't get to cherry-pick pieces out, and they wouldn't even if they could and wanted to because it would have all the "make DC a state" screamers go positively sideways and even the Dems don't want to deal with that mess.

Yes I lived and worked in DC and worked for the United States House of Representatives as a legislative counsel. Congress can and did attach restrictions to the appropriations many times. It has nothing to do with line items. Perhaps you're not as familiar as you believe. The Act specifies, as another poster has pointed out, that Congress can do as it pleases.

Congress can do anything it wants to DC's budget.
Line by line if they wish.
This is not like the executive trying to enforce a 'line item veto.'

Congress has prohibited money for needle exchange programs, abortion, and other things they can come to an agreement on.
It can also direct that funds shall only be spent on the items they order as opposed to simply throwing money into a 'general fund' for the city to do as it wishes.

DC's budget is like any other law that is passed by Congress and signed by the president.

Congress could pass a bill and the president could sign it undoing the entire 'home rule' if they wished.

DC is given a bunch of money every year to try and make up for the property taxes they cannot collect on all the federal buildings.
It is strictly the largess of Congress that allows the payment to be made.

Back