GLOCKS FAULTY BARRELS

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. It is NOT an urban legend, (though some people do stick their head in the sand when this comes up). Glock hears about several per month, and their lawyers are no bored Maytag repairmen.

2. People HAVE been seriously injured.

3. It HAS happend with factory ammo.

4. The barrels are NOT faulty; they simply have looser chambers with less case support and thinner walls. They are strong enough, just closer to the edge than some others.

Be careful and enjoy shooting your Glock 40.

------------------
>>>>---->

Ah :) C'mon :) A Glock 9mm is a great gun, but anything else they make is marginal at best guys :) Love your 40s or whatever, but honestly :)
If you want more stopping power get a 1911 :D They don't explode from stupid design. If you want a good reliable 9mm, buy a glock :)

Lexus,

I'll double Frank's offer... $200.00. That's FAR more than this defective gun is really worth. I would feel TERRIBLE if you ended up getting hurt because you had one of those defective Glocks.

$200.00... I may even be willing to pay $250.00 if it comes with high-caps.
Think about it, shouldn't pass this one up!
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited November 27, 1999).]

I would assume that any lawsuits against Glock for injuries caused by defective design would be easily available in GA court records. Please, somebody, give me some caae cites for those "several cases per month." I'd love to read the details and post them on this and a couple of other boards.

While your at it, please give me some case cites about folks being successfully sued for usine modified guns (lighter triggers, etc.) in cases of legitimate self defense.

I'd love to be edified.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

I have read on several other threads with a similar subject matter that Glocks can and do fire out of battery. IF this is true, seems like that would be a bigger problem than a loose and unsupported chamber. Despite all the4 howls of protest I know this will raise, we must remember that the G22/23 was more or less rushed into production to cash in on LE contracts which could have led to a less well thought out design (a misktake Glock did not make with the G31/32/33).

STLRN - Talk about myths (urban or otherwise)--the G22/23 was NEVER "designed as a military weapon." The G22/23 was designed for civilian usage (yes, LE is civilian usage not miltary). The G17 was--they are two different weapons.

As an aside, if Glock designed his weapons for military usage, does that mean he designed them to be carried with chamber empty (standard handgun carry for most militaries). How about it, are there any military or ex-military that might have served or with or be familiar with the Austrian or Norwegian militaries?

There are verified reports of Glocks going Ka Boom.

The loose, unsupported chamber stresses brass. Look at your brass after you shoot it. The area above the base will be expanded out, and there will be a half moon shaped bulge on one side.

Of course to be reloaded, this case must be resized. And after its resized/reloaded it becomes work harded and brittle. The next time it's shot it may be to brittle to expand out this far again, this leads to ruptured brass and failures.

Worse yet, the Glock is messing up the supply of reloaded 40 S&W brass. Once its shot from a Glock, the brass is unsafe to reload.

Of course the Glock is safe when fired with new brass, but I know of very few serious shooters that do not reload.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Glocks can kaboom???? Say it ain't so.....I want to get in on the "Send me all your unsafe Glocks" Bandwagon. I will dispose of them properly :) Of course after I put about 1,000,000 rounds thru each and every one.....

[This message has been edited by grapeshad (edited November 28, 1999).]

Don't use lead.
Don't reload .40 unless you know what you're doing...

'nuff said.

------------------
Anarchism: The radical notion that I am the sole authority when it comes to deciding what's best for me.

I like Glocks and I presently own a G19 but it has a Jarvis barrel. Not because it would blow up with the stock barrel but because I have found only one model IMO to be very accurate with the stock barrel and that was the G30.I have used KKM,Jarvis,and BarSto barrels in almost all my Glocks and all have improved accuracy alot. I like KKM best.The stock barrel is designed for reliability and the larger chambers effect accuracy. I don't shoot lead so know nothing about the so called unsupported chamber problem.

Oh one other thing. Glocks barrels are not faulty because they can be damaged by shooting lead (they tell you not to in the manual) any more so than any gunmakers barrels would be faulty if you fired the wrong cal or type ammo against their specs and damaged the barrel.

JC:
Was talking about the 17, not sure why it was done on the larger calibers, probably 1) machinary already exsist 2) they say to use only jacketed factory ammo, so if you follow their advise, problems are rare. The chamber empty thing is a factor of CGs or COs affraid that untrained troops will have NDs, it depends on your command if you carry your side arm condition 1 or 3. When I left the FMF about 50% of commands have OODs carry weapons condition 1. If you are in a hostile enviroment, the weapons (at least in the Corps) are normally condition 1. Never worked with the Austrians, the Norweign's they were different (1 of them on a boat raid lost his M-4 when the boat tipped over)but generally they were good at their job.

A Glock rep told me they _hear_ about several cases per month. I see several a year on our ranges and at at action matches; reloaded ammo, nobody has bothered Glock about it yet. Not all of them are lawsuits; not everybody sues. When it is settled out of court, as most are, details are not available. Check w Mike Dunlap at Armarillo TX PD if ya have to have it spelled out for ya; he's been a thorn in Glocks side for years. A forensic engineer who has been involved in kB cases posted here last year. The sheriffs dept here has blown several G21s w cheap reloads and blew up a G22 w Rem factory ammo this summer. No lawsuits. It does happen, don't worry about it, just get over it. They don't, and have.

The first Glock kB I saw was in 1987 w reloaded 9mm ammo BTW. And 45 caliber 1911s kB too, but ya have to work harder at it. :)

Anything in any caliber can kB. Not unreasonable to think barrels with looser chambers, thinner walls, and less case support might do it more than those with tighter chambers, thicker walls, and more support.

------------------
>>>>---->

I would think, in this litigeous society of ours, that there would be some lawsuits, ergo, a public record, on some of Glock's Kb. A Kb with somebody's reloads is not Glock's Kb; it's the reloader's Kb.

I've shot twenty-thousand rounds of my reloads through my Glock 21, and , in fact, have experienced a Kb. Wasn't Glock's fault. As a matter of fact, I was using one of those nice, aftermarket match barrels, shooting .400 Cor-Bon.

I've never detected any sign of case bulge in any .45 cases fired from my Glock. I've reloaded them until the cases split, with absolutely no problems.

The reason that you hear of a few problems with Glocks is that they're outselling everybody else combined right now. Maybe if they were more reliable, they'd treat us civilians with the same respect that Colt does. BTW, I have a 70 Series G.C. at this very moment right here with me. Have another in my safe; gave a third to my son, when he graduated college.

The 70 Series Colt is a pretty decent anachronism, but it's not in the same universe with my Glock. The Glock displays far superior, more progressive engineering than the near-century-old Browning design. The toughness, ease of field stripping, low cost of replacement parts, lack of necessity to employ a gunsmith for repairs, superior handling of recoil and muzzle flip, etc., etc., ad infinitum, make the Glock a far superior handgun for me than my 1911's.

If I had to chose between one Glock and three 1911's, with no option for later trading/selling, I'd pick the Glock in a heartbeat.

Of course, all of this is just a matter of personal preference. It's nothing but opinions. Hell, there are folks out there who drive Chrysler Corporation cars and send dumbasses like Schumer, Clinton, Feinstein, Nadler, etc. to represent them in D.C.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 28, 1999).]

I find no specific reference to either lead or jacketed bullets in my Glock manual, only "high quality, commercially manufactured ammunition, in excellent condition".

[This message has been edited by boing (edited November 28, 1999).]

I heard that Glocks also cause solar flares, and male pattern baldness as well!I bet those black helicopters are coated at the Glock factory also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back