GLOCKS FAULTY BARRELS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus

Inactive
I was just wondering why did Glock ever constructed a faulty barrel design? Jarvis and Barsto have all reliable feeding, even if it has a more tighter cahmber than glock barrels. (.427 vs .432 expanded cases of .40). Dont get me wrong I too have a G22, but Im scared to fire lots of rounds in it, whether lead or factory ammunition. There are KBs with 1911s, .45 guns, but not as much happening as with the glock .40 guns. And I too understand that they are also using lead ammo. Why is glock more prone, I wish they did not even made this polygonal rifling that will eventually cost you your gun or even your life in an event of a KB. I paray that they will address this problem soon. They can be sued in court because of this unsupported barrels. Kindly help me with this guys. THANKS A LOT!!!!

------------------
"Onwards toward Full Supported Barrels in Glock .40"

This is a new urban legend.
Go over to Glock talk and ask all the happy Glocksters if they feel they are in danger!
If the gun makes you nervous, get rid of it.
My little Glock27 just shoots and shoots and no problems.
I am beginning to think that elves from other gun companies are spreading these rumours!

If you are scared for your life I'll give ya a crisp $100 bill for yer Glock22 :)

Come on.. let ME take the danger... that Glock can blow up and level three city blocks at any time now.

hehehe
-Frank the Spank

1. The reason why you hear about more kBs with Glocks is that there are so many Glocks out there.

2. The barrel is not faulty. The vast majority of Glock kBs occur in .40 S&W guns shooting reloads, either because lead bullets are fouling the barrel or because of overloading what is already a high-pressure round.

3. I've never heard of anyone being seriously injured by a Glock kB. Certainly no one has been killed.

4. If you're scared to shoot the gun because you're too lazy to do any genuine research on the causes and consequences of kBs, or too cheap to buy factory ammo, then sell it or buy a new barrel and quit whining, you mook.

OK 40S&W reloads, always something to be careful with. The 40S&W is NOT a 10mm do not try to load any hotter than the factory loads. Most Glock Kb's are caused by overcharged reloads. The Glock is not more prone to Kb's.

Lexus:

I tool wish that Glock had designed the guns, esp the .40's, with a supported chamber (I have a 22 & a 27). Steyr, in introducing their new M40, did this, and it will shoot reloads too, with its conventional rifling. That's the big benefit of the Steyr, imo. Less deformed brass, safer shooting with reloads.

The unsupported chamber is not a problem in the 9mm, 10mm, and .45's generally. The loose chamber tolerances are due to the fact that the Glock was designed as a military/duty weapon, to shoot a variety of ammo under varying conditions. You can't have tight tolerances without some sacrifice in ultimate reliability under adverse conditions.

Feed your .40's good ammo and they'll be happy.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited November 26, 1999).]

I have seen a Glock that blew and I wasn't impressed. I have no idea why someone would build a barrel that isn't made for lead and jacketed bullets. It certainly isn't for accuracy. I guess it was just a gimmick and a poor one too. You would think they would just switch to regular barrels or give you a choice. Wonder why they don't it's obviously a flaw in an otherwise OK design.

I dare say that Mr(s) lexus, from Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines, is more literate in English than some of our native-born posters. And he is doing genuine research on the issue. He came here, didn't he?

Bad ju-ju on this thread. For Shame....

What Boing said!

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I have the .40 S&W in both the 22 & 23 models
and have never fired factory ammo of any type
through either (>5000 rnds. each). I am thoroughly convinced that a careful shooter is in no peril. If you are still unsure, you may find many potential buyers here and at other websites...
Good Luck to you, Sir...
Paull

Well, he's probably more literate than I am. I was wrong. I apologize.

There's nothing wrong with Glock barrels. They work just fine.

Stop and think a minute. All commercial and military rifled centerfire firearms are designed to function with commercial and military ammo. Do you know of ANY ammo manufacturer or arsenal that loads with other than jacketed bullets?

the polygonal rifling has two benefits; less maintenance and better gas seal. in my experience, the polygonal rifling is easier to clean, and is probably easier on the bullet jacket. Glocks are well-known for getting excellent velocity out of a given load. if I were in the pistol business I might very well go the polygonal route; after all, I *want* to force reloaders to put in a different barrel, so that any fingers lost to double charges can be clearly attributed to user error...

my theory on the .40 Glocks versus the 9x19 Glocks is that, in order to make the model 17 feed system as compact as possible, Glock made the distance from the mag front lip to the feed ramp fairly short. when converted to .40, that distance was not quite enough to feed. plus, note that the 9x19 case is quite tapered, helping feed reliability. despite all this, my Glocks run very reliably. however, I think that Glock should start working on "Glock small-frame v2.0" but with Gaston's massive ego, I don't think that's going to happen. thus, Steyr may well win some serious market share.

Naw Walter, you just gotta watch out for those aftermarket barrels in .400 Cor-Bon..... <G>

Darknight

P.S. and Non-Canalure bullets too....<G>

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.

To add to what Marv said, the Glock was designed as a military weapon, all militaries uses jacketed ammo, no need for a tube to shoot lead or reloaded ammo.

Glock is not going to redesign its barrels because they would then be effectively admitting that they are defective.

I hate the plastic thingee's myself but its true that if you stick with factory jacketed ammo Glocks are quite safe. Nearly all of the KB's (and theres been a lot of them) have been with reloads or lead ammo - or with jacketed ammo following extensive shooting of lead ammo.
Read the warnings in the manual and comply. You won't have a problem.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

We Glocksterenheimers just don't get it!! A 1911 rusts better, and is a better club than a Glock.

What I like, however, is the quality of the factory 13-rd. mags for my Gold Cup. :)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Easy guys, it's OK to knock guns, but not each other.

We have a very old thread here Lexus regarding Glocks which go Ka-Boom! The engineer who posted it reported that Glock barrels don't like lead because lead deposits accumulate, leading to higher pressure for each succesive round, until the fabled Ka-Boom becomes reality! Glock is aware of this and has consistently reocmmended that lead bullets not be used in their barrels.

If anyone plans to shoot lead bullets, a Bar-Sto or other aftermarket quality barrel should be seriously considered in lieu of the factory barrel.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back