Glocks and flashlights

Willie Lowman

I remember when the police forces across the country switched mostly to the Glock 22. There were many reports of malfunctions when the pistols were fired with flashlights attached to the rail on the frame.

Has this been corrected?

I just got a 5th gen Glock 23 and would like to mount an x300 flashlight to it for a carry gun... But I am worried that it will cause problems

So, has Glock corrected the issue with the .40 guns and weapon lights? Or should I try a different setup?

I had a Streamlight on my Glock 22. Shot it thousand or more times, no issues and am confident that it will fire flawlessly every time.

I have thousands of rounds through my Glocks with lights attached, in my case the Streamlight TLR1-HL and TLR-7A. I have never had a malfunction.

I would suggest following the instructions that come with your light when it comes to tightening. Some people try to absolutely crank down the light on the pistol to an excessive amount. This can supposedly affect the ability of the frame to flex and cause a malfunction. While I haven’t seen this myself, I do agree that you don’t need to go crazy in the event tour light has a screw for tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would like to mount an x300 flashlight to it for a carry gun... But I am worried that it will cause problems

It shouldn't cause problems with the function of the gun, or at least not with a metal framed one. Can't say about the poly guns, they seem to have different rules.

What bothers me, and where I think you are setting up for potential problems is mounting the light on your pistol. I realize "everyone" is doing it these days,and the guns come made to do that, I just think its a poor idea, particularly for someone who does not carry the gun professionally.

And even the professionals, who get, and are required to pass training don't always follow it. Just look at the news.

TO me, its in the same class of dangerous foolishness as using a scoped rifle instead of binoculars. You are pointing a loaded gun at what you are looking at.

Everyone says "I'd never do that"...and of course, we're all completely safe all the time, but I think, if you're human, and not rigorously trained (and perhaps even if you are) at some point you are going to do it.

Its all good, until someone gets "accidentally" shot, and maybe killed...

Also, consider the legal aspects, if you're not a cop, shining a light attached to a gun on someone IS pointing a gun at them (don't care what you SAY) and that can be a legal threat, can be a level of assault, or brandishing and leave you open to charges.

Assuming you don't run across one of the folks (some of whom are cops) that figure someone pointing a gun at them is a deadly threat and they shoot you!

I've heard all the arguments, I know the pros and cons, and I think a light NOT on the gun is ok, and a very good idea, but a light ON the gun is a risk and a problem in waiting. MAYBE it never happens to you, hopefully not. But, if it ever does, who is really at fault? I'd say its the guy with the light on his gun.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it,;)

With regards to having to point a light on a pistol at what you want to identify, it’s a fair point. My comment would be I don’t think a weapon mounted light should or has to replace a handheld light. Personally I have both. I prefer to use the handheld, but if I end up down to one arm due to injury or having to use the other hand I like still having an option to use a light. It’s also noticeably more controllable to shoot with a weapon mounted light.

Lights these days, at least the SureFire x300 mentioned here, are putting out 1000 lumens. You don’t need to point the light at the target to make a positive identification. The spill from the beam from either a low or high ready (be mindful of what floor in a dwelling you’re on and who might be above or below you) will be more than enough to identify who someone is and whether they are armed in an average sized room. Does this require some mindfulness in a stressful situation and preferably training? Absolutely, though frankly that’s firearm usage in a nutshell.

I would add that a number of techniques for handheld lights involve bringing the light hand in contact with the gun hand (like the Rogers or Harries holds). If you plan on pointing the light at the target then you have to make sure you’re bringing the light up first, then the pistol to avoid muzzling the target before you identify the target. Also be mindful of not muzzling your own arm in the process of getting the pistol on target. If you’re using something like a FBI or modified FBI hold with the light, I suggest practicing this with a cleared firearm first. Directing a light and a pistol completely apart can benefit from some practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say about the poly guns, they seem to have different rules

That's exactly what I am asking about.

shining a light attached to a gun on someone IS pointing a gun at them (don't care what you SAY) and that can be a legal threat, can be a level of assault, or brandishing and leave you open to charges.
If it comes to the point where I have drawn my gun it is getting pointed. I have a mini mag light for looking around in the dark. The flashlight on my pistol is not for looking around. It is for making accurate shots in a dark environment.

I have run lights on Gen 3, 4 and 5 9x19mm Glocks with no issues. I cannot speak to the .40 Glocks, while I have no issue with .40 and actually quite like it, I have never liked Glocks in .40.

As to lights. I think having a bright light is the most important piece of self defense/safety equipment one can have and having options is always good. Mounted lights not only give you an escalation of force option they provide you with a light should you only have time to grab the gun or only have one hand etc. remember you are likely in your boxers at o’dark thirty.

A gun held at low or high ready can easily ID a target with any modern light from the ceiling or floor bounce alone without ever muzzling the target.

Also just because you have a weapon mounted light doesn’t mean you cannot also employ a handheld. I mean if I simply need a light I am not grabbing ye old HK and having my daughter hold it while I work on the plumbing. :)

It’s like anything else. It’s a tool. It can be used properly or improperly. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. Besides folks can and do make the same argument about an accident waiting to happen with using a striker fired pistol. ANYTIME. ANY FIREARM is employed there is the potential for dangerous or deadly consequences or accidents, lights or no best to be aware of that at all times IMO.

Chris

Should give a weapons mounted light an honest look. I had my doubts, but wouldn't want a HD gun without the ability to mount a light anymore.

You are pointing a loaded gun at what you are looking at.

Nope.

I can light up any room in my house to identify threats with the gun pointed down at the floor. If I have to shoot at any distance inside my home the beam of light is about 6"-8" across. The bullet will impact in the center of that beam of light.

I CAN use the sights for more precise aiming, but can do well enough just using the light beam at close range. Having one hand free to open doors or other chores is well worth any negatives.

Worrying about giving up my position is simply overthinking the situation. I'm not trying to sneak up on someone to assassinate them. In daylight they can see me. At night an intruder may see the light, but the light will also blind them. And if they decide to leave when the light comes on, then mission accomplished. It ain't my job to hunt them down.

There was a problem with the .40 cal Glocks when they first put accessory rails on them. Some would malfunction with a light in place. The solution for those guns was to install a magazine spring with an extra coil. Glock made such springs available.

The newer guns shouldn't have that problem.

For the OP,
My G23gen3 works fine with either my Surefire X300 & X300U lights, or my Streamlight TLR1 & TLR1HL lights.

When I had a G22gen3, that specific gun was unreliable with weaponlights.

I suspect the latest G23gen5 will be fine also. But any handgun, light, ammo, and shooter must verify reliability for themself.

I don't have a G23gen5, but my G17gen5 and G19gen5 are also reliable with the weaponlights (Surefire and Streamlight as previously mentioned).

For any weaponlight "naysayers", having & using a weaponlight is a choice which may be made, but the OP didn't ask an opinion regarding whether to use one or not (that's a different question).

Last edited:
I have TLR1-HL Streamlights on my Glock 40 and my Glock 23. I have never had an issue with either. The 10MM I depend on for night time hog hunts, and a failure would be really bad in amongst the hogs.

Unless it was my dedicated Bull Frog poaching pistol I won’t want any light on it. Cant think of any hostile situation where a light wouldn’t be a liability.

Back