Glock trigger upgrades?

Shadow9mm said:
based on the way the glock trigger system works, a lighter pull weight will generally result in a mushier trigger with a less crisp break. assuming it is not a defensive handgun you can do a trigger job easily there are a ton of videos on youtube. in general you polish the trigger bar where it contacts the connector. they are stamped parts and generally fairly rough. a polish smooths things out nicely.

LOL... You used the term “crisp break” and Glock in the same sentence. What aftermarket triggers and connectors have you actually installed and used? I admit that I am a bit of a trigger snob and have guns with some excellent trigger pulls including a STI Edge, Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, H&K P7M8, and Sig P210. No one really expects a single action break from a striker fired gun. I also have. Walther PPQ Q5 and my sister has the standard PPQ, which has really raised the bar for striker fired guns.

I am a strong believer in shooting what you carrying what you shoot. I am part of a practical shooting club and we get to run drills like shooting on the move, engaging multiple targets, Bill drills, Tueller drills, etc. The stock trigger wasn’t cutting it for me so I went with the Agency Arms trigger with a Ghost Pro connector. There is a LOT less take up before hitting the wall, and you get a cleaner break than the stock Glock trigger. The Ghost Pro has an over travel tab that minimizes over travel, but be sure to grind off enough or you might get light strikes. The roll pin That held the trigger safety on the Agency Arms trigger partially came out and I had to send it back. I decided to try ZEV and the pull through is less distinct than the Agency Arms, but somewhat smoother.

I know that a lot of people do not like the idea of messing with the trigger on carry guns, but I believe it is important to hit your intended target. I believe a great trigger may keep me from pulling a shot and hitting a bystander, or help me hit my intended target more quickly. You have to survive the encounter to face an over zealous DA. Our club meets twice a month plus I also go to the range myself occasionally, so I am VERY familiar with my gun. Can the light trigger lead to an accidental discharge? Not if I keep my booger hook off the trigger till I am ready to shoot!

I know that a lot of people do not like the idea of messing with the trigger on carry guns, but I believe it is important to hit your intended target. I believe a great trigger may keep me from pulling a shot and hitting a bystander, or help me hit my intended target more quickly. You have to survive the encounter to face an over zealous DA. Our club meets twice a month plus I also go to the range myself occasionally, so I am VERY familiar with my gun. Can the light trigger lead to an accidental discharge? Not if I keep my booger hook off the trigger till I am ready to shoot!

I have yet to own a Glock where the stock trigger would result in me not hitting my intended target. Do I flinch and pull shots at times? Absolutely. Is that the fault of the trigger? No. The Gen 5 Glocks I own now are stock except for sights. I don’t even do the 25 cent trigger job anymore because the trigger bars and connectors for this generation appear to be very smooth from the factory (I do think the Gen 5 is better in this department, but it’s not what I’d call crisp).

Surviving the encounter is no doubt important. I’m not personally convinced a stock Glock trigger prevents that from happening. I’ve used a stock Glock trigger to make hits on IDPA steel torso targets at 100 yd with boring repeatability. And that’s nothing special about Glock. Everyone in the class was able to do it with their pistols of choice once they worked on their fundamentals.

I’ve owned Glocks Gens 3-5, PPQs, P10-Cs, a VP9, P320s, M&Ps with and without APEX kits, a FNS, a XD, a XDm, an APX, a Ruger SR9c, and probably something else I’m forgetting. They’ve all had serviceable triggers. If someone wants to modify their trigger, more power to them, that’s their choice. I just think there’s a degree of exaggeration that goes on when describing the differences that result from aftermarket triggers in pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
TunnelRat: said:
I just think there’s a degree of exaggeration that goes on when describing the differences that result from aftermarket triggers in pistols.

I like the rolling trigger break that the APEX Action Enhancement Package gives me on my Gen3 17. And I have the trigger bar takeoff on my Gen3 19 with the APEX connector and FPB plunger. The striker, FPB, and trigger return springs are all stock. The triggers on my Gen4 21 and 19X are all stock, I never saw a need to modify those.

I think the Pyramid trigger assemblies that I’ve seen assembled on a few Glocks are (IMHO) too light for carry, but these have some combination of lighter striker, FPB, and trigger return springs. The ZEV trigger upgrades I’ve seen on some Gen3 comp guns have been really nice, but on the pricey side, and (IMHO) probably not something I’d choose to carry.

My best advice for any Glock upgrades or enhancements is to not do anything permanent, I can easily put the stock triggers back in, but the stock sights are in the parts bin where they belong (IMHO).

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure why you quoted that one part of my post (I think your post is fine without the quote), but since you did I’ll reply to what you said.

I don’t really disagree with anything you said. The quote you took without the context of the rest of it loses meaning (missing the forest for the trees). The point isn’t that it’s impossible for someone to notice any difference in upgrading a trigger. The point is saying that upgrading a trigger is going to turn a missed shot into a connected shot in a self defense encounter (that was the context I was responding to) is to me an exaggeration in terms of the trigger differences we’re talking about. I’ve done the trigger kit gambit, admittedly less in Glocks than other striker fired pistols but I’ve tried NY trigger springs and - connectors as well as different trigger shoes and polishing. There’s a difference, but it generally doesn’t translate to something so dramatic as what I was responding to. That to me is where the exaggeration comes from. As I said right before that quote, if you want to modify a trigger go for it.

Sorry to quote you out of context, I agree that upgrading a trigger is probably not going to turn a missed shot into a connected shot in a self defense encounter.

Sorry to quote you out of context, I agree that upgrading a trigger is probably not going to turn a missed shot into a connected shot in a self defense encounter.

No apology needed. You’re right that there is a difference. My response was just to clarify what difference I was specifically talking about.

TunnelRat said:
I have yet to own a Glock where the stock trigger would result in me not hitting my intended target. Do I flinch and pull shots at times? Absolutely. Is that the fault of the trigger? No. The Gen 5 Glocks I own now are stock except for sights. I don’t even do the 25 cent trigger job anymore because the trigger bars and connectors for this generation appear to be very smooth from the factory (I do think the Gen 5 is better in this department, but it’s not what I’d call crisp).

Can you do the same with the Glock 43? The shorter sight radius, plus the smaller grip, plus the longer/heavier trigger was affecting my longer distance shots. I can hit steel all day long with my full sized 1911s, but modifying the trigger significantly improved my consistency with my Glock 43.

The stock Springfield Hellcat trigger is actually pretty good and can hit steel pretty consistently from 25 yards. I haven’t had to modify anything with that gun.

I don’t own a Gen 5 Glock yet (I don’t think the 43 qualifies), but will probably eventually add a G19 to the fold. I really don’t have much use for one other than the fact that everyone should have one (lol).

Can you do the same with the Glock 43? The shorter sight radius, plus the smaller grip, plus the longer/heavier trigger was affecting my longer distance shots. I can hit steel all day long with my full sized 1911s, but modifying the trigger significantly improved my consistency with my Glock 43.

The stock Springfield Hellcat trigger is actually pretty good and can hit steel pretty consistently from 25 yards. I haven’t had to modify anything with that gun.

I don’t own a Gen 5 Glock yet (I don’t think the 43 qualifies), but will probably eventually add a G19 to the fold. I really don’t have much use for one other than the fact that everyone should have one (lol).

I owned a 43 briefly and sold it. I found it was too small for my hand and I had so much trigger finger on the trigger that I was pushing shots left with my finger. It wasn’t because of the trigger pull itself, it was the mechanics of my hand and the pistol. I have a P365XL and I haven’t had the same issue, nor did I have the issue with a S&W Shield or SIG P938.

As far as subcompact guns that can shoot like larger guns for longer distance shots, my Walther PPS-M2 (IMHO) shoots like a much bigger gun. I personally prefer it to the Sig P365 I had a chance to try a few times, but if you prefer the Sig then that works also. If the OP has his sights on a Glock 19, I would certainly recommend that route for what he wants to do. The Glock 19X is another option, I like mine a lot.

As far as subcompact guns that can shoot like larger guns for longer distance shots, my Walther PPS-M2 (IMHO) shoots like a much bigger gun. I personally prefer it to the Sig P365 I had a chance to try a few times, but if you prefer the Sig then that works also. If the OP has his sights on a Glock 19, I would certainly recommend that route for what he wants to do. The Glock 19X is another option, I like mine a lot.

I’ve only held a PPS-M2, I’ve yet to shoot one. I should have picked one up pre panics when they were like $300 and less. It seems like it would shoot very well.

I picked up a new Gen 5 G-19. I polished the trigger parts, added a TTI 6lb trigger spring, and a reduced safety plunger spring. I had a brand new minus connector laying around so I tried it out in this pistol, but I stayed with the OEM Gen 5 connector because I liked it much better. Accuracy is amazing, and I haven’t had any issues at all, nor do I expect to. I’ve worked other Glocks this same exact way and they all ran perfect. I have even more confidence in this Gen 5 since the trigger spring is a compression spring. On a side note I replaced factory sights with Gen 4 IDots so it shoots like my other Glocks- POA/POI while holding the top of the sights on the center of my target.

I got the PPS for my little sister, but she hasn’t shot it yet. Time to borrow it from her to try out. I like the capacity of the Springfield Hellcat though and would not go down to the PPS capacity.

I’ve had the PPS-M2 for 4-1/2 years and a few thousand rounds so I’ve practiced with it a fair amount. I like the 8 round accessory mags I got for it. I could use a higher cap, bigger grip version of this gun and I’d like to see Walther come out with another version including these features.

Back