Glock SF Guns: any Problems to Look for?

Swifty Morgan

I'm thinking of getting a full-size Glock to carry around the farm. I notice Glock and retailers seem to be pushing short-frame models. I find regular Glocks comfortable, but I picked up a Glock 20 SF today to see how it felt, and it seemed fine, too.

Are people noticing any problems with these guns, other than the unavoidable Glock ugliness?

If you're interested in the Glock 20 you might find this thread interesting.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605600&highlight=sf

I'm pretty sure the short frame (SF) option went away with the Gen 4 Glocks and later...the dealers might be pushing the SF models just because they are the older Gen 3 models.

A friend got the Glock 20 and had a little buyer's remorse that he didn't get the long slide MOS (reflex sight capable) G40. But had he got the G40 I'm pretty sure he would have the same thoughts thinking he should have got the G20. Shrug. Maybe he will wind up getting the other one. Good for me. If I supply the ammo he will let me shoot it. (And I can reload.)

Good luck.

No problems or complaints on my G20 SF. Bought it maybe 10 years ago at Bass Pro because I had a bunch of club points, and gift cards. They had the standard G20, the SF and the G20C (compensated with ported barrel and slide).
The main reason I bought the SF was I could not feel any difference in the grip of the SF, or standard model. But the SF was priced like twenty bucks less. No regrets at all. As for the ported model, from what I found about the recoil of the 10 MM in the Glock 20 SF, it's unnecessary.

Last edited:
I didn't know the SF was so old. I thought it was a new thing.

The place where I looked at the SF was charging $539, which seems mighty low. Maybe I'll run over and grab it. Seems like there are no disadvantages, and the price is good.

Dan-O $539 for a glock isn’t a low price....or a good deal
Really?:rolleyes:
Retail MAP on a Glock 30SF is $546, so the OP finding one at $539 IS LOW, so low that the dealer could lose his ability to order Glock product in the future if Glock Inc catches him.

Swifty, if you are looking at a 10mm full size Glock, consider the G40 with the longer 6" slide and barrel. Besides giving you a 30% longer sight radius, the extra 4+ oz of weight at the muzzle makes for a faster and more accurate follow-on shot if needed. Even better, full power 10mm loads come alive with the extra 1.4" of barrel length. (How about my 'nuclear' 165grn loads chrono'd at 1,579fps!!!)

I developed the first 6" longslide Glock 10mm way back in 2004 on a lark. I had bought a German steel slide made for my G21 and picked up a Jarvis 6" 45 barrel and mags in early 2004. Later that year, after some fitment testing using the barrel from my G22 as a mockup, I talked Kevin at KKM Precision into making me a one off, custom 45-10MM conversion barrel for it as Glock had sized the 10mm barrel for the G20 with the G21 45acp in mind. Below is a picture of it right after I got the stainless steel 45-10MM conversion barrel and before I installed it showing 10mm mags and ammo on the left and 45acp mags and ammo on the right.

7QNpsfW.jpg

The G40 would make an outstanding farm pistol as it has the power needed for most anything. I handload both 10mm and .357Mag and my G20L with just full power 165grn loads, not my nuclear ones, produces slightly higher velocities with a heavier, larger diameter bullet than do my full power 158grn .357Mag loads in a 6" S&W 686. Plus, with my mag base extension, I have 17+1 rds of 10mm ready to go vs only 6 rds in my Smith and the total package actually weighs less than the Smith too. Something to consider.

It's an interesting idea, but the 20 is already pretty bulky. Do they even make a holster for the G40?

I wouldn't want a 10mm if I didn't handload. It's sad to see how weak most store ammo is. I get 1250 fps out of a Glock 29, which is not too bad.

I notice Glock and retailers seem to be pushing short-frame models.
SF models came out about 15 years ago. They are special versions of Gen 3 Glocks chambered in 45 ACP and 10mm that have shorter grips front-to-back than regular Gen 3s. There are no SF models other than Gen 3, but if you want the same grip size as a Gen 3 SF model you can get a Gen 4 and not add any grip panels.

I have a Gen 4 G30SF, and I really like it. One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is that you either upgrade the sights immediately after purchase, or better yet, see if you can find a deal on a G20SF with GNS (Glock Night Sights).

I've been considering a G29SF myself, but I want to find a holster for the G30SF first, then I'll consider picking it up.

Hope this helps

SF size is the Gen4 without a backstrap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I won't be offended :)

I thought the Gen4 without a backstrap is equal to an SF.
Yes, the SF size is the same size as the Gen 4 without a backstrap. But the SF models are all Gen 3s in .45 and 10mm. There are no SF models in any generation but Gen 3.

My Gen 4 Glock 19, I bought when they first emerged on the market!
Huge mistake! The encapsulated main spring entered the world of Glock, brass in the face. After constant comments from Glock Georgia. "Weak gripping" Remember the dreaded Glock reason? "Limp wristing!" Till better mainspring. Fixed.

Austria finally got it right. In fact, Gaston had Smyrna send me 6 Glock 17 magazines! That stopped the pinching of the off-hand on fast magazine changes, in my IDPA matches. That the 15 round magazines gave me. Thanks.

I holster that Gen 4 each day, in the $13.00 Glock belt slide. It vanishes at 3-30 on my strong side. Totally blemish-free! Looks like the day it came out of the box. Extended slide lock/release. TruGlo night sights. Picked up a smooth trigger somewhere. Austria?

The replacement 43X Nickle slide, green box.
Delivered with Ameriglo night sights. Shot straight to point of aim? Fell out of favour, back to Gen 4 G19! Love that pistol. Federal 147g HST. Not cheap.

Last edited:
Dogtown Tom.

I cut the top, till I can feel the extractor, one finger tells me there is a round chambered. Your picture is of the old first-generation model. The one I use.
The latest one is thicker. I will have to have my wife show me how to take a snap of my much-modified carry model. Wearing suspenders tucks the pistol more into the body. They don't issue English men with butts!
I also use a Glock factory Mag. pouch. Also a stretched model (in the sink with lots of very hot water pouring on it, to stretch it, by inserting the steel nose of my Surefire flashlight into it, till it takes the light) a light I use a lot more than the Glock 19! But it sits there just in case.

So on the left side, mag pouch, modified fo light, and a Glock 17 mag. in an unmodified Glock mag pouch. 33 rounds on board. When I think I used to carry a Model ten S&W. Six rounds! A long time ago.

Back