Glock Issue

Carry my 1911, cocked and locked, in a quality holster.

Carry my Glock? No (well, almost never), so no issue.
Keep it in the car, though. Or not.

Train by shooting IPSC every week; best gun-handling training available to me.
5 years now, no AD's.

Guns are NOT bicycles.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

In some ways, the Glock makes me safer in that its design leaves no room for any margin of error. If you handle the gun a lot you are always asking "Did I leave a round in the chamber the last time I handled it? I'm much safer with the Glock than with any other gun I own. In fact, I'm almost paranoid about handling it except on the range. There's no manual safety and no visual chamber indicator. With such a light trigger pull, I worry about safely taking it out of the car console in the heat of the moment.

For advanced shooters the Glock's lack of safeties may not be a big problem. Unfortunately, the Glock is being sold to many beginners as the best first gun. I cringe at the thought that these novices routinely handle a Glock with a trigger pull of only 5.5lbs and believe the hype about the "safe action trigger." When I first looked at the Glock, the salesman tried to convince me that it was the safest gun on the market. I didn't get it--you pull the trigger and the gun goes boom. What safety? Now that I own one, I've never felt the little trigger safety when I've fired the gun.

As a proud owner of a Glock, I feel that the company developed a great product and then stopped development somewhere in the late 80s. How much more difficult would it be for Glock to put an external safety on the gun and to utilize a visual chamber indicator? Both Walther and Steyr took the great Glock design and refined it in important ways. In my opinion, they are now better (or at least safer) guns than Glocks. Glock is resting on its reputation, but that can only go on for so long. It's time for Glock to move ahead with the times, be more socially responsible, and develop a safer gun. Before I get flamed, I'm not a knee jerk liberal, just a gun owner who realizes that safety is important, even for people other than myself.

Glocks do have an external safety and do have a visual chamber indicator. You just dont know what they are.

The external safety is on the trigger itself, and the only way it can be manipulated is by putting finger on trigger. Whats the second rule of gun handling people? Never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot whatever it is your covering! EXTERNAL SAFETIES ARE A CRUTCH. If you cant handle a Glock safely then you cant handle ANY gun safely, period.

Chamber inticator is the trigger itself. If the trigger is back, there is no chambered round. Cant happen. If its forward, than it's loaded. Whats the first rule of gun handling people? Guns are ALWAYS loaded.

Jesus, you people scare me. Please warn me when you'll be at the range so I can be sure to be somewhere else.

Like glocks&sigs said if you don't want to shoot then don't put your finger on the trigger. What every kid learns in firearm saftey is that you DO NOT put your finger inside the trigger guard until you have acquried a target you are going to shoot and are willing to shoot it. In civilian life, a person better be ready to shoot someone if he is going to draw his weapon. People don't go around just drawing down on anyone after dark, that walks toward them. To deal with the issue of Glocks trigger saftey, it is great because when you are in a high rish situation an external saftey is one more thing for Mr. Murphy use against you.

------------------
when the govenment comes for you weapons, give them the ammo first

When carrying a gun, there should be a HUGE reason to even have your hand on the gun.
After that, it is another HUGE wall before you take it out. At that point you MUST make 2 decisions: shoot or be ready to shoot.
If shoot: finger pulls trigger.
If ready to shoot: finger is off trigger.
Any gun. Anywhere.
In the heat of the moment, the Glock will be as safe as any double action revolver. You won't know if it is 5 lbs or 15. If you have f-----d up, you will do so with any gun you carry. If you are aware of the situation, you will only fire when justified. You will still be sued. Glocks are safe to carry. None are safe if you f--k up. Keep that finger pointed at the jail you will go to if you shoot the wrong thing. Put it on the trigger when you are going to be hurt if you don't.

I do wish people would stop quoting Jeff Cooper, to me that guy tries too hard at being clever, I read his "Sour and Gruff" columns most every month in the gun rags of which I confess to be an avid reader. The whole keep your finger off the trigger of a Glock unless you want to shoot issue ignores a lot of life's realities, why not just say that if you don't want an AD then don't carry a gun. Things other than fingers have capped off a Glock, these include car keys, lengths of wire, spectacles and most any other obstruction likely to be found in a purse or waistband/holster including the snap retention strap, which has robbed several donut trashcans of their right toes. So far as Glocks are concerned, and very much in their favor, I agree entirely with the following statements :

1. If you want a connoiseurs handgun, to marvel at and admire, the Sig P220, P226 or P228 are the way to go, if you find yourself needing to use one in a combat situation you will want a Glock. ( I read that here someplace)

2. The Glock is often hailed as the gun for beginners due to it's simplistic operation, rather, it is a gun for professionals only owing to the ease with which it will perform its stated function. (lifted from a gun rag)

I don't like Glocks, they just seem a little too dangerous to me, I don't like the trigger action and anything other than the 17, 19 and 26 conjure up pictures of a hand grenade with the pin half way out, but they are without doubt the finest combat handgun in the world, period.

What would we all talk about if Gaston hadn't puked up that melted lump of cheese fondue and noticed it looked a little like a handgun.......

No offence to anyone intended, especially Jeff Cooper fans.

------------------
Mike H

Glocks do have that ugly bulldog all buisness
look about them.
I like that in a handgun that is intended to be a tool.
I had a G17 and it did everything I asked of it every time I asked(except for second restrikes).
I got use to the grip angle and the trigger pull.
I do not own it anymore because I found a Pistol that I liked better(Walther P99)and I got use to the grip and the trigger of that pistol also.
I now have aquired some H&K P7s and am getting use to the grip and the trigger of these as well.
Each pistol requires some adjustment from one make to the next.
I shoot IDPA matchs once or twice a week and have seen many Glocks and 1911s act up, more so then any other brand.
BUT there are more 1911s and Glocks shooting in these events then any other brand.
The % of malfunstions from these two vs. other top brands seems to me to be about the same(the malfunstions I have seen).
And most of the problems seemed to be operator induced.
Guns are like cars ,we will defend our choice to our last breath.
And it is all fine with me ,just so long as I GET to choose.
Dave

When the G36 goes in my holster, I believe I will have achieved the perfect balance of firepower, safety, accuracy, simplicity, maintainability, ease of carry, and reliability (assuming it has all the attributes of rest of the family). Kind of reminds you of the great utility player in baseball- doesn't do any one thing great, but try to get to the series without him. A well designed holster and proper technique should eliminate any holstering concerns. And last but not least, I don't pull my loaded pistol, unless I mean to fire it or clean it; otherwise, its playing with it, and that is verboten in my house.

Back