Glock info please

"Shouldn't use steel cased in Glocks, harms the extractor"
If Glock advises against steel-cased ammunition, they are very low key about it. I have not seen anything in any of their manuals, coursework or other printed material that makes any such statement.
"didja know you ought to change the recoil spring in Glocks after 3000-5000 rounds"
If you are shooting a pre-gen4 Glock in .40S&W or .357SIG, it's a good idea to establish a regular replacement schedule for the recoil spring assembly around every 3000 rounds or so.

You can get away with more rounds through the 9mm guns before they are going to need a new RSA. The pre-gen4 9mm guns would probably benefit from a new RSA every 5K rounds or so, but often people get away with going much longer than that.

Gen 4 and beyond RSAs should be replaced every 5K to 6K rounds.

It's hard to find that information, but it is discussed in the Armorer's Course.

I don't have good information on RSA replacement intervals for the slimline models, but the general rule is that the smaller and lighter the gun in a given caliber, the more often it's going to need a new RSA. So I would maybe go with something like 3K to 4K--but that's just a WAG on my part.
Interesting then that they did dual springs for the Gen 5 when they don't make a Gen 5 in a caliber other than 9mm.
They kind of gave up on commonality with the Gen 5 guns because the ambidextrous slide stop made that a requirement from the beginning.

But before that, they would go for parts commonality even sometimes when it didn't make sense. The Gen4 9mm RSAs were that way. There was absolutely no need to go with the dual RSAs in the 19/17/34, but they did it anyway.

When I called Glock about when to replace the spring on my Gen 5 G19 I was told 5-10k rounds. Pretty big range, and when I asked about the range they said as long as I wasn't having malfunctions I was likely okay, but not to go over 10k rounds. I tend to shoot warmer 124 gr factory ammo and even at 8k rounds it seemed fine.

Have you done the armorer's course John? I'm curious if they cover the different generations in one course, or you have to take different courses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I took my last Armorer's Course just as the 5th Gen guns were coming out and so they weren't covered to any reasonable extent.

It's all covered in one course--they just hadn't introduced that particular content yet.

The 9mm Glocks (again, I'm not talking about the tiny slimline models) are very easy on RSAs. Unless you're really shooting hot loads, 10K through any of the 19/17 Glocks on one RSA isn't likely to cause problems. But they will wear out eventually, and they're really cheap. In fact, if you go to an outdoor GSSF match, there's a good chance you can pick one up at no cost.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we have glock experts here, I have not been able to find the answer to a couple of questions after searching on the net.
1. I read that the 10mm glock 20 slide is HEAVIER than the glock 21 slide. But since they both fit on the same frame, where is the extra weight on the slide, and how much?
2. I have read that the OD of both the 20 barrel and the 21 barrels are the same. Then I have read that the hole in the .45 is larger than the 10mm barrel. So the question is whether the OD of both barrels are the same, and the 10mm is just thicker due to smaller bore? I am aware that the hoods are different size.

I don't have 20 and 21 slides to compare, nor do I have an authoritative resource that provides precise weights for each slide.

I would speculate that since the breechface of the 21 is larger there was more metal removed from it resulting in a lighter slide.

I just weighed the slide of a Glock 20 slide which was approximately 17.5oz when equipped with metal sights. It's too heavy for my really accurate scale, so I can't provide an exact weight. I think it could be anywhere from 17.3 to 17.7oz.

The sources I can find suggest that the G21 slide is between half an ounce and an ounce lighter than the G20 slide.

I don't have 20 and 21 barrels to compare, nor do I have an authoritative resource that provides precise dimensions for each barrel but several sources indicate that the outside diameters are identical.

The measured outside diameter of a Glock 20 barrel is 0.630".

I have found a couple of sources that suggest a Glock 20 barrel can be installed in a G21 slide and that it will function properly.

Thanks John!
I got .632 with a cheap micrometer on the OD of my G21 barrel, and 16.5 oz roughly on the slide on the postal scale. It's a G21C, so has the ports that lighten the slide a bit.

TunnelRat: said:
Interesting then that they did dual springs for the Gen 5 when they don't make a Gen 5 in a caliber other than 9mm. Also they still ended up making different springs for Gen 4 in 40SW, hence the whole initial issues with the Gen 4 models, so it's not like going to the dual springs saved them the effort of having to make a spring for the 40SW itself. Would be interesting to ask Glock and see their official response (or is what you're saying what they told you?). What you say seems reasonable in terms of standardization and ease of production.

After the Gen4 the Gen5 stayed with the Dual RSA even though these were all 9mm because of the recoil spring retention tab at the front of the slide. The single spring RSA won’t fit without an adapter ring. The Gen4 17 and 22 DSRA are different part numbers although I can’t verify the spring weights between the 2.

I remember Glock got spanked (fined) for hijacking the dual spring design! Reference the slimline Glock models? I presume the 42-43-43X-48 are those?

My first 10 rounds from my G43X, the slide closed in a kind of slow motion. But did fully close. That was it, reference malfunctions.
No extended slide locks/releases, seem to be contemplated by Glock? Or mag pouches, or the wonderfull lightweight Glock Sports holster.

Still using the Glock 19/17 magazine pouch, I have used for donkey's years.
Use a knotted elastic band to make up the extra space.

Spending almost a month in Sacramento (Grandkids!) will be Gunless! Might take my favourite Benchmade folder, in the case that goes in the hold.
Plus my Citystick.

It seems like Folsom is not the southern part of CA! Every business has Fox News on TVs! Restaurants/Carwashes, etc.

Not far to Trader Joes! Merlot red wine, by the case! My Wife becomes Madam Chief Cook. Me? Driver for School visits, driving adults to work (so we can have a vehicle) etc. First the children, then the Grandchildren? What can you do?

Last edited:
Back