Glock incompetence

Original "issue" Glock magazines were not full metal lined. They were intended to
bulge when fully loaded to bind in the
magwell and prevent accidental magazine droppages.

Glock started lining the magazine when
American consumers complained.

Apparently when it came to tactical reloads,
us Americans were too lazy to assist ejection of the partially loaded magazine with the index finger of our support hand before inserting the fresh mag into the well and slamming it home.

Rob,

We did/do not over lube our pistols. In fact, our sidearms are lubed and mantained as per the manufacturers instructions. Apparently we don't have our heads up our asses quite as far as you seem to think.

Hey JHS,

Would that be Hooker Oklahoma?

Everyone,

Here's the deal (as some people have said):

Original Glock Mags were Metal Lined.. on three sides. They did swell. I have no information that they swelled on purpose, but the fact remains that they did.

New Glock Mags are FULLY-metal lined, they are not supposed to swell and are supposed to "drop-free".

The way to tell the difference is by looking at the back:
Round notch at the top: OLD STYLE
Square notch at top: NEW STYLE..
Both styles of notches have metal showing...

Apparently, what some would call "too lazy", I would call "Smart enough to know what works better and is easier."

-Rob
-Glock Armorer/Instructor

Do you work in California or have you suddenly become a member of the Nashville Metropolitan Police Department ??

I was suggesting that might have been a problem, in that the recommended amount of oil for a Sig 220 is far too much for a Glock. I was pointing out that it was NMPD that "had their head up their asses", as you put it.

(Take a deep breath and try to relax, I know you are new around here. What you seem to be taking as a personal attack is simply the kind of good-natured kidding that most of us are used to around here. I'm sure that you have very strong, firm wrists.... ;))

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited January 14, 2000).]

I had an early G21 (brought this up in another post recently)- and after putting 50 or so rounds through it, it jammed like crazy. I didn't really look into the issue, I sold it after 6 months.

After reading all your posts about magazines I'm beginning to think that(sometimes) the Net is one of the worst places to get Glock information. Some of you guys are correct, and some are not even close. If any LE Dept. is having trouble as stated, it may be due to the brand of ammo they are using. Since there are more and more hot +P types of ammo coming out(example - Cor-bon) there have been isolated cases of malfunctions. This is not the fault of Glock, but they are working with ammo manufactures anyway, to create a different follower to allow all of these different rounds to feed properly(not an easy task). Also, some of the powder blends that are being used just burn to fast for the Glock to cycle correctly....I am a civilian who attended Armorer's School with 39 LEO's from various departments. A survey was taken on what Model Glocks were being used, and G21 was the overwelming winner. When the topic of malfunction's came up, not one Officer raised his hand......................As for the magazine itself, there is the older NFML or the FML, both of which work equally well. There are as mentioned different followers. The choice of followers can be used to correct most all types of ammo problems. This should be part of department testing before a final choice is made on ammo. I personally have both NFML & FML mags with three different types of followers. All types have worked for me (log book 6350 rds. w/ no malfunctions)...........Final thought, the phrase "DROP FREE" is a term created by Glock Shooters themselves, Not Glock. Shooters I.D. NFML as non-Drop Free & FML as Drop Free. Truth is that the FML are just a little easier to get out. THEY MAY OR MAY NOT "DROP FREE", and if your life depends on it (AND IT DOES) I would get in the habit of pulling it out anyway....I realize that I sound Like a know-it-all, but I'm only passing along what the Glock factory taught me...224, if you have not already done so, strip all your Dept. mags as time permits, and check the metal zipper seams for smoothness, just to be sure...Close to 80% of all U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies use Glocks, they all can't be wrong.

[This message has been edited by fire512 (edited January 15, 2000).]

Rob,

Sorry about that. Deep breaths taken. :)

All of the possible causes of the failures thathave been mentioned have been considered, ie. the shooter, ammo, maintinance etc. I work for a large state agency. Our armorers are well trained and experienced. This isn't a new thing either, we've had these pistols for over a year and a half. The problem is with the mags.

Several causes have been found in individual mags, the liner, spring, follower etc. They're just bad, period.

None of this was my point though. Everyone thinks their Glocks are the best thing since sliced bread and that's great. I've never said that the pistol itself was a bad design, it's not.

My point was that Glock knowingly supplied a defective product to people who stake their lives on their sidearms. I would council any agency that is contemplating going to the Glock to be very sure of what they're getting.

JHS,
Where at in Hooker?

Good posts as it discusses very well a particular elements of the Glock. I am not so much familiar with the Magazine steel linings but your discussions on the issue is worth reading. It helps me also of knowing more about glock experiences from those who talks with authority.

Keep going on glock issues and you might convince me of getting one of their model for plinking.

Thanks,

Again, I'm now REALLY amused at those who speak with total authority on a subject about which they are incorrect. (Particularly if they're gunsmiths). This is laughable. I'll challenge anybody to substantiate that "non-drop free" Glock mags aren't steel lined on three sides. (Since I own five of 'em and have disassembled them muy times) BTW, Glock never has advertised "drop free", only Fully Metal Lined.

As to my expertise regarding limp-wristers, one doesn't have to be much of an expert to observe the limp-wristers prissing around on television, parades, the White House, and Congress. Besides, I have a NY cousin who's a limpwrister.

I'd like to close this little blurb by wishing you all a happy and serene MLK Day!!!

P.S. If you want to get accurate information about the finest handgun on earth, go to Glocktalk. You don't have to be a gunsmith, or even a quasi-gunsmith to work on a Glock.

Back